Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 23, Sam Butler

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure there is a bigger fan of this kid than David King.

He told Sam in their chat today today that heā€™d absolutely be buying a Sam Butler jumper, ā€œputting it on the back and riding it all the way homeā€, in reference to the ā€œwhich Hawthorn player would have fans wanting to buy their jumper and wear itā€ query from earlier in the week.

Disappointing to see him miss this week with a shin issue, I reckon heā€™s going to be one the most exciting players on our list forward of centre in 12-18 months time.
But Kingy is an idiot who picked the Swans to win the ā€˜14 GF by 10 goals ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

Not sure there is a bigger fan of this kid than David King.

He told Sam in their chat today today that heā€™d absolutely be buying a Sam Butler jumper, ā€œputting it on the back and riding it all the way homeā€, in reference to the ā€œwhich Hawthorn player would have fans wanting to buy their jumper and wear itā€ query from earlier in the week.

Disappointing to see him miss this week with a shin issue, I reckon heā€™s going to be one the most exciting players on our list forward of centre in 12-18 months time.
He's really strong in the front position already. There was a moment in the dogs game where he was in front and shrugged off the defender and gave a handball resulting in a goal. I assumed he way on a Dogs youngster and then they showed the replay and it was Tim O Brien šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

It was the moment I realised the dogs were s**t.

Very happy with what I have seen from Butler. This sort of player is far harder to find than a mid like Sonsie.

He finds the front position and can already hold it with the incoming ball. That's a gift that only the really good have.

Plus he has speed to burn.

Yeah, Iā€™ve seen enough to know heā€™s got some weapons.

Worth remember that he barely had a preseason, unlike Wardy and Macca.

Sheesh are we at that point of the season already where we play the woulda, shoulda, coulda. Comparing these kids that are totally different types of players is the silliest sh*t Iā€™ve read here for a while. Iā€™d rather pour more energy into how we can obtain another 1st round pick.

Very happy with Butler and MacDonald.
Both use the ball offensively, creatively etc and make things happen.
I can see elements of Judd in Butler's game. Less inside game, but he has surprised me with his apppetite for winning the ball and laying tackles.
MacDonald reminds me of a more robust Caracella, who was mostly a skilled outside player, and highly effective as a forward/mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Butler (13 disposals, 1 goal)

ā€œButsy came in for his first game in quite a few weeks as well. He ended up with 13 touches for us playing as a high half forward. I really liked his first quarter, I thought he looked really dangerous. He probably went a but quiet in the second and third, and then in the last quarter we threw him on-ball. He looked really lively, his tackle pressure is always pretty high.ā€

Sam Butler​

ā€œButsy had a successful year where he was able to play numerous games, but he also understands how much growth and development is still to come to reach the real top echelon of small forwards. He has a real desire to chase and compete and his crumbing nous is very good for someone of his experience. He will have taken a lot out of the games he played and, by playing with great mentors like Luke Breust, his game will continue to flourish in the coming years.ā€ David Hale.

Pretty clear that they really rate this kid. Was given games last when heā€™d not done much at Box Hill, and seems to be amongst most playersā€™ thoughts on whoā€™s had the biggest summer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back