Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 23, Sam Butler

Remove this Banner Ad

with Butler, he seems to be showing pieces of good form for Box Hill, very similar to how he played for GWV Rebels in the u18's in that he moves well and can be a good burst player but goes missing in games a bit, he is a 15 disposal 1 goal a game type, which is why i rated him more a pick in the 30-50 range, i rate him but i also recognise his limitations. (i also didnt like the 1st round/top 20 takes some were pushing) so i think we reached a bit on a low production, low goal scoring half forward, low/medium impact player, but im sure he can produce some good footy at AFL level at some stage, he does have beautiful skills, moves beautifully and looks a likely type at the AFL level.

He isn’t super quick but he seems super evasive. Looks a little laconic, hopefully with improved fitness some midfield time will come as he is a clean one grab player.
Not sure how improved fitness will help with the bolded. But he is a youngster and will take him time to find his voice on the field.

He barely trained with the main group over the summer. Had a number of issues that prevented him from being ready for the start of the season, so it's no real surprise that he's not exactly lighting it up just yet.

People need to be patient.

Sam Butler (15 disposals, 8 marks, 1 goal)​

“Buts had another really solid game as a forward. He has been offering an exit option for our defenders to hit and he’s getting on the end of those, which is great to see. He probably could’ve kicked the ball and use the ball a bit better throughout the game, so he’ll be looking to brush up on that during the week. But overall a good performance by Butsy."

With the little pump up they've given him the last 2 weeks, I'd be surprised if he doesn't debut in the next month.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's got a nice set of marking hands.
Love to see him use the jets to just break up space and leave competitors unsure of whether to go to him or hold space, creating more uneven numbers for us....

I noticed the balance too. You either have it or you don't.

Think a supporter watching on TV might have thought it was a below average game on the weekend, but from coaches perspective they were probably seeing 'one touch' type football with his hands in collecting, and also setting up others with his disposals. He didn't get a heap of it, but many of his passages he was setting up others in better positions and the play looked 'clean', which I think will fit in well with the way we play. Might be a player that is suited to AFL when he gets a call up.

He's played so little at VFL/AFL level how anyone can say he is a certainty to make it or not make it is beyond me.

Looks like the club rates the kid, that's a good start but thats all it is. Get him fit, give him a month or 2 of footy and hopefully he shows a bit for a first year rookie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back