Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Sam Frost. Extends to 2024!

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We have for over a decade, defended to a system; &, it isn't just the back 6 - it's the entire 18.

Frost's inclusion gives us attributes that the current back 6 don't have (or at worst, he adds to what Frawley has).

As per all our defenders, he'll succeed/fail by the system. We'll look to utilise his positive attributes, whilst protecting his weaknesses. I'm very confident that this will be a positive acquisition.

As for his kicking... When not provided a safe option by those around him, I'd love to see him with license to move the forward at speed - break the zone & go long toward Big Boy on the wing, or Lewis or Gunston, leading wide from Half Forward.
Hardwick, Sicily and Scrimshaw are such beautiful kicks of the footy. This makes me feel a little better about such things

Best bit in video is when he says 'there's a museum, with a lot of cups'
And they are all silver.

You go and visit Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood, their cups are so old they are made of papyrus/clay.

You just won a flag in the early days, the cups were a later edition that was back dated
So the the flags were papyrus.
Jesus, man, way to destroy a good story. I was going so well.;)

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I noticed Frost is quite high in the AFL ratings, 190ish overall and tenth for KPDs and while the ratings have many flaws they definitely don't favour tall defenders and they tend to punish players who make errors and have poor disposal. So hopefully that suggests his disposal issues aren't as bad as made out.

essaynode

Senior List
Aug 24, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
"Damien Hardwick has said, only half in jest, he was prepared to trade Rance for a six-pack of beer when the coach arrived at the club in 2010.

He termed it "Alex Rance moments". The defender would perform some sort of incredible feat, winning a seemingly unwinnable one-on-one contest, before making a questionable decision with ball in hand and turning it over."

Alex Rance moments and Frost ball. Are these just variations of the same theme? (We were also keen on Rance before.) Could Sam Frost turn out to be the next Alex Rance?

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
"Damien Hardwick has said, only half in jest, he was prepared to trade Rance for a six-pack of beer when the coach arrived at the club in 2010.

He termed it "Alex Rance moments". The defender would perform some sort of incredible feat, winning a seemingly unwinnable one-on-one contest, before making a questionable decision with ball in hand and turning it over."

Alex Rance moments and Frost ball. Are these just variations of the same theme? (We were also keen on Rance before.) Could Sam Frost turn out to be the next Alex Rance?

Not a chance. Rance was already a quality player as Frost's age.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers

Is Frost 21 years of age ? If so maybe.

Frost had a pretty good year for Melbourne last year. However Frost like Rance needs a structure and order to his role to get the best out of himself. Within this environment he will be able to use his physical attributes. Will he be Rance of course not but he will be very valuable to us in the way we play

No, Frost won’t become Rance.

He may become as reliable a shutdown defender as Stratton was in our three peat years though.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Showed some good signs against the Saints. Could be a real key for us once he's fully accustomed to the systems.

Attacks the contest HARD and can take a good grab, no doubt he's determined to have a big impact.
He is going to give me a lot of heart attacks, cause me to swear in my living room a lot but i still think he will be a favourite of mine. Can never question his effort or toughness.

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Like him. Gives us run. Will be electric when Jars is back.
Yep interested to see how we use him on the rebound. With BB going back it seems like frost is likely to be more than a lockdown defender. Has the pace - similar to impey, it may take him a season or two to work how to use it in our system. I also note impeys disposal has got a lot better at the hawks - can’t see why frosts can’t improve.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yep interested to see how we use him on the rebound. With BB going back it seems like frost is likely to be more than a lockdown defender. Has the pace - similar to impey, it may take him a season or two to work how to use it in our system. I also note impeys disposal has got a lot better at the hawks - can’t see why frosts can’t improve.
Throw in CJ and look out. It's dynamic.

Back