Universal Love Welcome to Hawthorn, Seamus Mitchell - Pick #29 2020 National draft

Remove this Banner Ad

kazzooka

Club Legend
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Tackling pressure seems to be one of those traits that they either have or don't have - unfortunately, I can't remember too many players inadequate in that area and subsequently turned it into a strength, can you?

E.g. Poppy, Cyril, Breust, Wingard, etc, all innate exemplary tacklers from the get-go.
Bruest was dropped from 2011 finals for lack of defensive pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DannyJ

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Sounds promising. Hopefully hes a guy that would have been top 10 had they played in 2020.

Excited by all 4 selections from this draft.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

rogiebear93

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Could you actually access it?
IIRC we're not allowed to post the entire article so here are the cromulent bits.

“HE’S the best talent I’ve seen come through the Pioneers.”

“His speed, his athleticism, he has got a vertical (jump) and I feel he reads the ball and play a lot quicker than other players,” O’Bree said.

“He’s super smart around goals – and all that gives him a great advantage.”

He said Mitchell would “need to build a body and resilience to cope with the AFL standard of footy”.

“That will happen in time and I just think he’s so exciting and someone we can watch for a couple of hundred games (in the AFL),” he said in a bold prediction.

Noel Gallagher

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
IIRC we're not allowed to post the entire article so here are the cromulent bits.

“His speed, his athleticism, he has got a vertical (jump) and I feel he reads the ball and play a lot quicker than other players,” O’Bree said.

He said Mitchell would “need to build a body and resilience to cope with the AFL standard of footy”.

“That will happen in time and I just think he’s so exciting and someone we can watch for a couple of hundred games (in the AFL),” he said in a bold prediction.
Sounds like a cross between Connor Rozee and Izak Rankine

Strapping Young Lad

previously grumbleguts
Apr 19, 2006
Your local Satanist Cabal
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Spurs, Socceroos

Cheers mate.

Who was it that made these comments?

rogiebear93

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Assistant coach up until this year, so he’s seen a few come through. Not sure when he started.
Tried to find info on that, but I'm wagering it hasn't been that long as Stringer, Martin and Selwood were all drafted from the Pioneers not that long ago. Stringer not so much for current output, but pre-leg break as a junior he was something special.

That said it still puts him ahead of Kemp, Dow, Caldwell and Brander who were all recent early picks.

Strapping Young Lad

previously grumbleguts
Apr 19, 2006
Your local Satanist Cabal
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Spurs, Socceroos
I happened to be at training a couple of weeks ago when Seamus did his first bit of running up the wing on the other side of the park with one of the fitness staff.

The training group and coaches in the middle of the ground stopped to cheer him on quite loudly and it was actually a little over the top, to be honest, but it would’ve given him a great feeling of support on his way back from injury.

Remove this Banner Ad