Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Seamus Mitchell - Pick #29 2020 ND - extends to 2025! Round 17 Rising Star!

So Run laps and do skills work. He has a knee bandage and a moon boot. Some risk management is required.
Do we actually know what he was doing when he did it?

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Seamus was talked about (from reports) of moving up to a wing this year. Doesn’t have tank yet but his speed and attacking mindset would really make a difference if can get fit.

In his highlights he gets ball and just takes off - we haven’t had that since hill and Rioli. We been missing that around the packs for a long time. Smith was good when he was on the move but seamus has pure acceleration.

Sep 22, 2008
Noosa
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
A lot of Pierce Hanley in his running and even kicking style from those few highlights.

I could see him moving to the HBF at Box Hill next year and using that burst speed to break lines. Outside of Impey, we don't have that option in the AFL team so hoping he gets a chance to develop there.

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A lot of Pierce Hanley in his running and even kicking style from those few highlights.

I could see him moving to the HBF at Box Hill next year and using that burst speed to break lines. Outside of Impey, we don't have that option in the AFL team so hoping he gets a chance to develop there.
Agreed. I see attributes that really suit the HBF.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
What are his weaknesses?

he fumbles, doesnt like the contested side of footy and his tackling in many instances looks half hearted, very much an outisde player, maybe wing or crumber forward with little defensive ability in the same vein as Hanrahan imo, from what i have seen those are his weaknesses and play style, seems like we took a big risk with a pick where there was a dozen better players, hoping his acceleration can be a weapon?.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
he fumbles, doesnt like the contested side of footy and his tackling in many instances looks half hearted, very much an outisde player, maybe wing or crumber forward with little defensive ability in the same vein as Hanrahan imo, from what i have seen those are his weaknesses and play style, seems like we took a big risk with a pick where there was a dozen better players, hoping his acceleration can be a weapon?.
16 clubs enquired about him with his club. Seems there was a lot of interest in him which is surprising his modest performances to date. Is speed the new tall?

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
16 clubs enquired about him with his club. Seems there was a lot of interest in him which is surprising his modest performances to date. Is speed the new tall?

yea speed has been the new tall for a few years now, i mean theres a few fads that recruiters get into, like athlete over footballer, having extreme height and still being athletic, speed at the expense of contested football, these types are favourites of recruiters, it seems that way anyway.

i also dont think we should be worrying about what the other clubs do, we should back what we see and go with our gut, because some clubs like to pretend they are into a kid to con other clubs into picking up a kid they have no interest in so that they have more real talent to choose from, happens all the time, recruiters are always chatting with each other and some are friends, others are manipulators, its all business at the end of the day, also over 100 kids talk to most clubs, doesnt mean they are all good...

Last edited:

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
In a pure ‘best available’ sense we have over-compensated by prioritising speed - but geez our team needs it. In terms of our 22 only Impey and frost could be considered genuinely ‘above average’ in terms of speed for their respective positions.

I hope the hanrahan comparisons are off (but some similarities - hopefully not on work ethic). Despite the above comments I did really like the reports on poultier so hope we didn’t do another hartung over Merrett style stuff up.

Cant see why we wouldn’t see both seamus and brockman in 2021 - smalls generally ready to go.

In a pure ‘best available’ sense we have over-compensated by prioritising speed - but geez our team needs it. In terms of our 22 only Impey and frost could be considered genuinely ‘above average’ in terms of speed for their respective positions.

I hope the hanrahan comparisons are off (but some similarities - hopefully not on work ethic). Despite the above comments I did really like the reports on poultier so hope we didn’t do another hartung over Merrett style stuff up.

Cant see why we wouldn’t see both seamus and brockman in 2021 - smalls generally ready to go.

Underrating Sicily in terms of speed I think, he's got very very good top end speed he just shows a bit more laziness than would be preferable.

20 Meter Sprint Result (seconds)
RankResult (seconds)Name
12.78Jonathon Marsh
22.82Nathan Freeman
32.83Daniel Flynn
42.84James Siciliy

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
According to everyone he was a reach.

However with Downie being rated highly and coming at a discount then maybe the club thought they could take the gamble on Mitchell? His pace and kicking skills do look like it's something good to work with.

That's a lot of weaknesses for a selection at 29.

ML4Hodgy

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Weaknesses that can be overcome with work. Already got the Elite speed.
Remember, we haven’t seen him in a whole year, so maybe he used his last 12 months to work on those weaknesses, and it was that attitude that got him drafted.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks

he was supposed to be late/rookie pick, but we obviously wanted him bad and maybe got spooked into picking him up early? who knows? good luck to him, but im not pinning my hopes and dreams on him.

but hey, we got a good one in DGB, Downie has a great kick, Brockman is young and has improvement, Saunders looks decent and Seamus has speed, DGB is nearly a guarantee, Downie is likely and if 1 or 2 of the others come on thats a bonus imo.

Last edited:

Dutchy16

Debutant
Nov 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fox footy had him ranked 34 best player on draft night. Damien Truslove said prior to the draft that he thought he would go 2nd or 3rd round based on the amount of interest and comments from clubs. Might have been a slight reach but he was not necessarily considered a late or rookie pick in all circles. Time will tell. Will probably be mid February before we see him in full group training with the ankle being worse than the knee (medial).

Back