Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Seamus Mitchell - Pick #29 2020 ND - extends to 2025! Round 17 Rising Star!

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tackling pressure seems to be one of those traits that they either have or don't have - unfortunately, I can't remember too many players inadequate in that area and subsequently turned it into a strength, can you?

E.g. Poppy, Cyril, Breust, Wingard, etc, all innate exemplary tacklers from the get-go.
I reckon Breust had to work on this from memory.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Tackling pressure seems to be one of those traits that they either have or don't have - unfortunately, I can't remember too many players inadequate in that area and subsequently turned it into a strength, can you?

E.g. Poppy, Cyril, Breust, Wingard, etc, all innate exemplary tacklers from the get-go.
Can always improve though. Breust improved quite a bit from his first season in the seniors.

Breust had to improve his tackling, but he also had to improve everything else.
The best thing, and probably the only thing, he did well as a rookie was to lose his opponent and find himself space to receive a pass - man with ball kicks goal!

He is one of the few players I have seen take on every challenge on his development path.

Correct. Or a Smith replacement.
Yep, Scully and Phillips are endurance runners with limited offensive impact. Seasmus doesn’t yet have the tank, but has speed and skill that is missing on the outside. Downie also obviously provides a point of difference with his massive kick. Hopefully will see both in bursts on the wing in 2021.

Breust had to improve his tackling, but he also had to improve everything else.
The best thing, and probably the only thing, he did well as a rookie was to lose his opponent and find himself space to receive a pass - man with ball kicks goal!

He is one of the few players I have seen take on every challenge on his development path.
One of our best ever Breust. Absolute freak.

doesnt look like he was recruited for a fwd pressure role... maybe more speed & xfactor on our hff. his ball use looks good.

Exactly my thoughts. IMO Brockman will be playing close to goal whilst Mitchell will be further up the ground. He's got that burst of pace and is a good luck, even when running at speed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best thing about speed is you don't have to kick it to a player, he doesn't have to beat his larger opponent one on one. You only have to kick it to space, there was a goal a few years back where the ball was kicked into the forward line deliberately into space. Only two players in the vicinity, puopolo and his direct opponent. Because the ball was kicked into space, it was a certain goal to puopolo, he just burnt his opponent with sheer pace and acceleration. And the best thing about this is, it's far easier to hit space than a chest.

The best thing about speed is you don't have to kick it to a player, he doesn't have to beat his larger opponent one on one. You only have to kick it to space, there was a goal a few years back where the ball was kicked into the forward line deliberately into space. Only two players in the vicinity, puopolo and his direct opponent. Because the ball was kicked into space, it was a certain goal to puopolo, he just burnt his opponent with sheer pace and acceleration. And the best thing about this is, it's far easier to hit space than a chest.
So, power forward now takes on a different theme.

Indeed, I want O'Meara to find this spark again.

So, power forward now takes on a different theme.
Yeah, but we tried this several times, by putting someone fast, (rioli or poppy) in the forward line on their own, the trouble was we kept kicking it to the (hard not to), but that is exactly what you should do with high speed and plenty of space. Remember against melbourne, in one of JOM's early games, he just kicked into an empty forward line, and was the first to chase down his own ball, and goal. To me if you have fast forwards, you take the ball backwards, get the flood happening so that the forward line empties naturally, then blast it into space with a sicily type kick. With two or three guys streaming down on it, two to shepherd, one to goal, it'd work more often than not. Especially with good marking talls to take the defenders on a goose chase. But if the ball goes forward predictably, there is no space in the forward line.

Did the club list him as a small forward in the welcome video? Might give an insight as to where the club sees him.

Or maybe its nothing, i'm just spitballing
McKenzie mentioned high half forward in his summary video I believe. He strikes me as the sort of player you want pushing up to the wing and using his jets to create space. His delivery into 50 looks quality.

Yeah, but we tried this several times, by putting someone fast, (rioli or poppy) in the forward line on their own, the trouble was we kept kicking it to the (hard not to), but that is exactly what you should do with high speed and plenty of space. Remember against melbourne, in one of JOM's early games, he just kicked into an empty forward line, and was the first to chase down his own ball, and goal. To me if you have fast forwards, you take the ball backwards, get the flood happening so that the forward line empties naturally, then blast it into space with a sicily type kick. With two or three guys streaming down on it, two to shepherd, one to goal, it'd work more often than not. Especially with good marking talls to take the defenders on a goose chase. But if the ball goes forward predictably, there is no space in the forward line.
Exactly, and with the added benefit that once teams adapt to this tactic it's probably going to result in them respecting the speed of our forwards and not pushing so aggressively up into their forward line. That then means there's more space to hit up targets as we work the ball out of the backline.

Essentially if teams want to aggressively push forward we kick it long over the top and let the zippy forwards run onto it in space and goal. If teams want to defend that space up the ground then it means they're more spread out and we can work it up the ground with a lot more breathing room.

It's the "plan B" that we were missing this year.

Bruest was dropped from 2011 finals for lack of defensive pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back