Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Seamus Mitchell - Pick #29 2020 ND - extends to 2025! Round 17 Rising Star!

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm looking forward to seeing what this kid has to offer.

From all reports he has the tools to be an excitement machine, much like Brockman.
Been a bit of a forgotten pick up due to not seeing him do much other than recovery over summer.

I expect that to change.

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Has he joined in skills drills etc yet at training or is he still running laps?

Agree he seems the forgotten draftee - but really interested to see him play (most likely at box hill)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slick

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Berwick
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Do you think Seamus is a chance for debut this year or he will likely need to spend this year developing and conditioning at Box Hill?
I know this question wasn't directed at me but he'd have to be a long shot to make his AFL debut this year, surely. He's had zero preseason, has no conditioning, has a slight frame already and is coming off an injury. Stranger things have happened, but I'd suggest we be content with watching him under Sammy's guidance at Box Hill.

Aug 15, 2009
The Riverina
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I know this question wasn't directed at me but he'd have to be a long shot to make his AFL debut this year, surely. He's had zero preseason, has no conditioning, has a slight frame already and is coming off an injury. Stranger things have happened, but I'd suggest we be content with watching him under Sammy's guidance at Box Hill.
That would pretty much be my answer. Unless he absolutely tears it up at Box Hill game after game then I imagine he will play VFL all year.

lyger

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2010
Source
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thank you Slick and Axeman. I don’t know much about Seamus so was just curious whether he came to the club quite advanced like Finn and may be a chance later in the year. I am excited by the attributes that he could bring to the team and eager to see what he can do. Cheers.

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Do you think Seamus is a chance for debut this year or he will likely need to spend this year developing and conditioning at Box Hill?

Any idea why the club is still listing him on the official injury list as 'indefinite' ?

Is there still some doubt about how he is recovering?

lyger

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2010
Source
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Any idea why the club is still listing him on the official injury list as 'indefinite' ?

I believe he is not far from resuming full training and there’s no reason for concern.

I also wish ‘indefinite’ is not used when a player is close to resuming and instead use some kind of a time frame.

Because there's no expectation for him to get back ASAP. He's a kid, indefinite means we'll be giving him as much time as possible to recover and start playing footy.

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
I believe he is not far from resuming full training and there’s no reason for concern.

I also wish ‘indefinite’ is not used when a player is close to resuming and instead use some kind of a time frame.

I suppose the club is just being honest. If they post 4 weeks it might please some (like us) but others will complain if it takes 8 weeks. I'm just glad to hear that his horrific injury isn't going to prevent him from playing some footy this year. Really excited about what he could do.

If you head to training you’ll see him doing his running program.

I guess they’ve put no timeline out publicly, but he’s still progressing, even if it’s slower than some of us fanatics would like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back