Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Seamus Mitchell - Pick #29 2020 ND - extends to 2025! Round 17 Rising Star!

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This kid's an enigma. Still don't know anything about him, never seen him & we appear to have paid well over in terms of where it was anticipated he'd end up! On top of all that, he's renowned for his speed, but comes with a fairly substantial leg injury that would ordinarily push a player further down the draft. Doesn't sound like the sharpest decision, particularly when it was a comparatively high draft pick (in Hawthorn terms). I've read nothing to say it's vindicated and who knows if it's affected his pace? We won't know for some time either it seems. Bloody fascinating!

This kid's an enigma. Still don't know anything about him, never seen him & we appear to have paid well over in terms of where it was anticipated he'd end up! On top of all that, he's renowned for his speed, but comes with a fairly substantial leg injury that would ordinarily push a player further down the draft. Doesn't sound like the sharpest decision, particularly when it was a comparatively high draft pick (in Hawthorn terms). I've read nothing to say it's vindicated and who knows if it's affected his pace? We won't know for some time either it seems. Bloody fascinating!
Who gives a s**t where other people thought he should go, all that matters is where we rated him. It's a marathon not a bloody sprint

Who gives a sh*t where other people thought he should go, all that matters is where we rated him. It's a marathon not a bloody sprint
Glad you got that of your system. Still an enigma mate!

Last edited:
Give it some time. Very impatient and comments made based on next to nothing.

So are we all banking on Mitchell now to solve one of our biggest issues ?. Long way to go for him recovery wise but also ability, hes so slight and was very low production in his underage year. I'd be tempering expectations.

Has he died or something?

Good question cause I have no idea what is happening with him. He was running in March and then crickets......
Not everything is a bloody conspiracy - he's injured and he ain't going to help much this year anyway.......

Good question cause I have no idea what is happening with him. He was running in March and then crickets......
He had a set back.

He had a set back.
I am aware of the talk of a setback but the club has said nothing as to what it is. Below is what the club has told us.

23rd March - Progressing well and starting to run
30th March - Nothing
7th April - Progressing Steadily
14th April - Nothing
20th April - Hard at work on rehab
29th April - Crickets (And Sicily is starting change of direction work in this update)

So all we have to go on is our BigFooty people giving us their best guesses (and it is appreciated) on what has happened. Nothing from the club at all and a worrying sign that we can talk about Sicily moving forward but reluctant to say what is wrong with Seamus.

I want the kid to get better and get on the park but we took a risk here and if it doesn't work we've blown a pick in a rebuild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am aware of the talk of a setback but the club has said nothing as to what it is. Below is what the club has told us.

30th March - Nothing
14th April - Nothing
29th April - Crickets (And Sicily is starting change of direction work in this update)

So all we have to go on is our BigFooty people giving us their best guesses (and it is appreciated) on what has happened. Nothing from the club at all and a worrying sign that we can talk about Sicily moving forward but reluctant to say what is wrong with Seamus.

I want the kid to get better and get on the park but we took a risk here and if it doesn't work we've blown a pick in a rebuild.
Injuries are not set times, I'm not sure what you expect. You want the same report weekly?

30th March - Nothing
14th April - Nothing

When they change the status to indefinite they're literally just saying "theres no set timeframe on this recovery", so we just have to be patient and wait for the next update.

Once they've gotten to the point where they think that theres no more hurdles or concerns to the recovery they will put out a timeline that they have visibility of, but until then we just have to wait and see.

When they change the status to indefinite they're literally just saying "theres no set timeframe on this recovery", so we just have to be patient and wait for the next update.

Once they've gotten to the point where they think that theres no more hurdles or concerns to the recovery they will put out a timeline that they have visibility of, but until then we just have to wait and see.
My issue is that he was tracking well (still indefinite) and we were getting updates. Would be nice for the club to just say he had a setback (they haven't), they are working on it and confident on the rehab. Is that too much to ask for?

My issue is that he was tracking well (still indefinite) and we were getting updates. Would be nice for the club to just say he had a setback (they haven't), they are working on it and confident on the rehab. Is that too much to ask for?
I think even when he was running he was still being listed as indefinite, wasn't he? Maybe not.

I don't think they want to publicise setbacks, because they know that it puts a lot of pressure on the kid and the staff, and creates all sorts of jumping at shadows like is now happening here.

I think even when he was running he was still being listed as indefinite, wasn't he? Maybe not.

I don't think they want to publicise setbacks, because they know that it puts a lot of pressure on the kid and the staff, and creates all sorts of jumping at shadows like is now happening here.
He was listed as indefinite. You can still give snippets of information without putting pressure on the kid, that is what external relations is for.

He was listed as indefinite. You can still give snippets of information without putting pressure on the kid, that is what external relations is for.
Maybe time to let it go or take it up with the club. I get it but he is an untried player taken about 30 picks into the draft in his first year and trying to recover from injury. Not much else to say until he starts training with the main group again.

Give it some time. Very impatient and comments made based on next to nothing.
I'm being very patient. Aren't I allowed to query the status of our players? Comments based on what I've read about him on this forum as there's very little anywhere else. I actually only remembered that he was on our list as SYL dropped his name. Was just saying ...

I'm being very patient. Aren't I allowed to query the status of our players? Comments based on what I've read about him on this forum as there's very little anywhere else. I actually only remembered that he was on our list as SYL dropped his name. Was just saying ...
:thumbsu:
Fair call, I don't think there was too much wrong with your comment.

I understand that we may have 'appeared to have paid overs' when you compare where we took him compared to where phantom drafts had him, but we'll see. Phantom drafts don't know what the club values or prioritises.

By reports, he's fast, skillful and makes good decisions. Apparently, one of his coaches said he was the best player to have come through the club, so there will be something there, I'm sure...when we get to see it.

I wonder what the chances of becoming a good afl player are for players who didn’t play any senior games due to injuries the year after being drafted. Brodie Kemp, Elijah hollands will be interesting watches.
Let’s hope Seamus gets a good run at it for the back half of the year.

:thumbsu:
Fair call, I don't think there was too much wrong with your comment.

I understand that we may have 'appeared to have paid overs' when you compare where we took him compared to where phantom drafts had him, but we'll see. Phantom drafts don't know what the club values or prioritises.

By reports, he's fast, skillful and makes good decisions. Apparently, one of his coaches said he was the best player to have come through the club, so there will be something there, I'm sure...when we get to see it.
All but two clubs had interviewed his coach. Almost everyone was keen on him hence we took him with our second pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back