Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Seamus Mitchell - Pick #29 2020 ND - extends to 2025! Round 17 Rising Star!

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All but two clubs had interviewed his coach. Almost everyone was keen on him hence we took him with our second pick.
I've seen him play one game for Robinvale, best underage game i've seen live from someone. His movement, speed and skills were just taking the piss. I rate him higher than Dylan Stephen, anyone that's seen him live understands why he was drafted that high.

I'm being very patient. Aren't I allowed to query the status of our players? Comments based on what I've read about him on this forum as there's very little anywhere else. I actually only remembered that he was on our list as SYL dropped his name. Was just saying ...
Patient? He's been on our list for 6 months! We drafted him injured.

What were people expecting?

He is an injured first year draftee. My only expectations were that he would get a few games at Box Hill and then get a full preseason under his belt prior to season 2022. Not many draftees “ do a Cyril” and play every game in their first year.
If, by chance he manages a game or two in the AFL this year on the back of a preseason spent in rehab, he will have exceeded all reasonable expectations.

Do we know the rough category/nature of the wee baby Seamus's injury - or is it still non-specific knee/ankle?

I don't know about you blokes, but me and a few of my mates are hoping for a new whipping boy. Seems I'm a bit late for this particular bandwagon though.

Unfortunate timing for our draftees this year to be coming into a team that is struggling.

Supporters will naturally start to look to the future given our obvious rebuilding phase and having our two top draft picks on the long term injured list will make the less patient supporters (of which I admit I fall into) frustrated that we can't see the future of the club even in the reserves.

But I feel in AFL we need to treat drafting 18 year olds as if they are still going through their footy apprenticeship, much like the college system prior to being drafted to the NBA in the states.

We really need to turn our gaze to the senior players / coaching staff / game plan to work out why we are performing badly at the moment and leave the young lads to complete their apprenticeship in peace.

In saying that though I can't wait to see DGB and Seamus strut their stuff in the VFL!

I take confidence from what the other hyper-athletic "reach" picks from Victoria with little exposed form last year have shown. Rosman, Holmes, Sharp and even Cox fit that mould. So far they've all shown more at either AFL or VFL level than many expected for picks seen as athletic project players. Mitchell even probably had better exposed underage form than those guys.

Really excited to see what this guy can do, hopefully in the back end of this season at Box Hill :thumbsu:

Great to hear that Will is on track with his ankle injury but Seamus still indefinite. Really want to see what this kid brings to the table but he is having not much luck at the moment.

Last edited:
On draft night I was hoping that we would call out Caleb Poulters name. He was available but we chose Seamus. Watching Poulter aquit himself more than adequately in his first 2 games stick in my craw. That said, the rule changes have changed the game. Where in previous seasons a players ability in contested traffic was the key, it now seems that speed, poise and skill are more important traits for most ball movers.

Seamus, from what I have seen in his highlights, has speed, poise and skill.

It shows that McKenzie and crew knew what was coming.

I’m excited to see what the young lad will bring to the table.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On draft night I was hoping that we would call out Caleb Poulters name. He was available but we chose Seamus. Watching Poulter aquit himself more than adequately in his first 2 games stick in my craw. That said, the rule changes have changed the game. Where in previous seasons a players ability in contested traffic was the key, it now seems that speed, poise and skill are more important traits for most ball movers.

That's what I want to see an S. Mitchell with pace.

I think it was evident last season that we were crying out for pace and skill. I believe drafting Mitchell was based on the club wanting to address a glaring issue within our team, not so much based on some foresight as to where the game is going. IMO it was already there.

On a side note I was with you regarding Poulter he has size, poise and skill. These are things we are lacking too.

Hopefully Mitchell turn out to be special. His limited highlights look really promising.

This is nothing against DGB who I can't wait to watch develop, but I represented us in a phantom draft last season and took Tanner Bruhn at pick 5 because of our need for midfield class. Got a little jealous watching him kick a beautiful goal on Saturday.

Regardless, if SMitchell and DBG were both getting a chance right nowfiring fit I'm sure the narrative on our list wouldn't be full of such doom and gloom.

196402-004-A44AD7BC.jpg

iu

hqdefault.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back