Welcome to Hawthorn - Tom Mitchell - 2018 Brownlow medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s going on with Tom? Very concerned with his form & the way he is being played… I want the Tom of the last half of 2021 back please, now!

He looks like he is lacking energy... almost unhappy. Alot of walking with his hands on his hips while the ball is still in play only meters away.. Surely it's got nothing to do with being shopped around in the off-season does it?

He looks like he is lacking energy... almost unhappy. Alot of walking with his hands on his hips while the ball is still in play only meters away.. Surely it's got nothing to do with being shopped around in the off-season does it?
He’s playing in a new system, a system that doesn’t make him the star. The suns screwed up the development of so many young players in there first 5 years because the whole game plan was dedicated to make Ablett the star.

Wouldn’t shock me if Mitchell isn’t at the club next year. He will still have very good games for us but I think he will move to a club where he can contend for a premiership straight away.

Unfortunately I think that could have something to do with it, the fact that Sam has decided to play our best midfielder out of position for large chunks of the game says a lot I think. Blows my mind really, Tom deserves better than that. He is an A grade midfielder, play him there.

He’s playing in a new system, a system that doesn’t make him the star. The suns screwed up the development of so many young players in there first 5 years because the whole game plan was dedicated to make Ablett the star.

Wouldn’t shock me if Mitchell isn’t at the club next year. He will still have very good games for us but I think he will move to a club where he can contend for a premiership straight away.

Unfortunately you might be onto something... From all reports we couldn't get a 1st round pick for him last trade period... At this rate, we'll struggle to get a 2nd rounder.

His game against Geelong was one of the best games he has played since his Brownlow. I can see him having a few more if those types of games throughout the year on his day. But we are going to be an up and down team this year, we have a young team in a new system it will take time.

Worst game I have seen him play for the Club last night. Anyone can have an off night, but he looked totally disinterested from start to finish. At times jogging ( barely) with the ball in his immediate area, and zero defensive pressure.
Granted we could say the same of about 17 others, but he is (or should be) a leader in a young side, and last night was appaling.

Is he struggling with the pre season groin injury? If so get him right and put a kid in playing his forward role. If not, get him full time in the middle.

I feel trying to make Mitchell, Worpel and Omeara play on the same team an take a second position has played both Worpel and Mitchell out of form.

The very small silver lining, is that we were out to a 25 point lead halfway through the third and Tom had only touched it 10 or 11 times.

Our reliance on him has shifted, which is not a bad thing, but we still need him to carry some of the load, becuase 1 possession in the last quarter wasn't good enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect he was ill this week.
Any inside info? I hope it's the case, but given the general attitude of the group I'm not 100% convinced. I would have thought it was more likely that the entire squad was flat after a sequence of huge games over a number of weeks.

I think he may be injured, he had 70% TOG last week and only played barely 80 this week. He's not getting alot of CBAs either.

But i think that's by design, even in the Carlton game where he had 12 CBAs he was still pretty decent with 25 and a goal.

He got more in the Geelong game and dominated with 35? and 20 of those being contested.

Give him a week off rest and get him back firing if he's injured, if not play him in the guts more. Worpel took 22 CBAs and was horrible, clearly his replacements haven't been good enough.

The very small silver lining, is that we were out to a 25 point lead halfway through the third and Tom had only touched it 10 or 11 times.

Our reliance on him has shifted, which is not a bad thing, but we still need him to carry some of the load, becuase 1 possession in the last quarter wasn't good enough.
Remember the fact he hasn't played alot of TOG the last few weeks so it wouldn't of been a full last quarter, plus he could be injured/ill (week off rest or assess) + he's not getting the CBAs anymore, 15 when Worpel had 22 (and was worse). Still been our best clearance player even with less and it's his worst game for over 115 games or whatever the stat was.

We know how good he is, he's been pretty good this year even in a 2nd role. He could still be elite but we just need to give him some CBAs back, Worpel is clearly not using them and needs to be dropped.

I feel trying to make Mitchell, Worpel and Omeara play on the same team an take a second position has played both Worpel and Mitchell out of form.
Mitchell's had one bad game really. Every other game this year he's been pretty good or good (or elite).

It's his worst game in over 100+ games of his career, there could be alot of reasons but we won't know. Could be injured, ill we don't know. Could've been an off night. He had a good game on only 70% TOG last week (came off with a blood rule and was getting a rub down late in that game), only slightly improved TOG% this week aswell. We'll see in the Richmond game.

John Longmire's biggest problem with Tom was that he didn't do enough running defensively and did NOT want to play as a hf which he was very good at as a junior. Maybe similar issues rise from time to time. But that doesn't mean he doesn't care, he does, .

John Longmire's biggest problem with Tom was that he didn't do enough running defensively and did NOT want to play as a hf which he was very good at as a junior. Maybe similar issues rise from time to time. But that doesn't mean he doesn't care, he does, .
Think it's part body atm, he had a groin niggle in the pre season and he seems to hide very well if he has any niggles or injuries. He played an entire season with a fractured shoulder and had it reconstructed in the off season and then didnt miss round 1. For example.

Any inside info? I hope it's the case, but given the general attitude of the group I'm not 100% convinced. I would have thought it was more likely that the entire squad was flat after a sequence of huge games over a number of weeks.
Mitchell flagged that illness had gone through the club. Even when Tom gets tagged he gets 20 possessions. Something wasn’t right with him.

What do we reckon we’d get for him though?

Most teams in win-now mode have strong midfields and he’d throw off the balance. (Maybe Geelong, Port and Tigers are the only viable teams on this front)

He’ll be 29 going on 30 next season, so bottom teams would be better off drafting an unknown quantity.

The whole league has shifted to putting a very high value on draft picks - with Covid the last few years you’re more likely to find a gem late in the draft. So unless a team is somehow desperate for an inside mid I think we’d struggle to get above a late second for him.

What do we reckon we’d get for him though?

Most teams in win-now mode have strong midfields and he’d throw off the balance. (Maybe Geelong, Port and Tigers are the only viable teams on this front)

He’ll be 29 going on 30 next season, so bottom teams would be better off drafting an unknown quantity.

The whole league has shifted to putting a very high value on draft picks - with Covid the last few years you’re more likely to find a gem late in the draft. So unless a team is somehow desperate for an inside mid I think we’d struggle to get above a late second for him.
Late 1st

Given our lack of midfield depth not sure we can trade him. Combine that with prob not going to be offered much given his age and mixed performances this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back