Welcome to Hawthorn - Tom Mitchell - 2018 Brownlow medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

Did I read correctly Mitchell is averaging 1.3 centre clearances a game?
Reckon we’ve set up as JOM as the go to player at stoppages this year. Mitchell is playing a slightly different role so his clearance numbers are well down. If Mitchell switched to JOMs role I reckon his clearance numbers would be similar. We saw last week how worpel thrived in JOMs role.

Which is the issue with stats - don’t really tell you how teams set up. JOMs stats look less impressive when eg worpel plays the same role and gets the same or better numbers.

Reckon we’ve set up as JOM as the go to player at stoppages this year. Mitchell is playing a slightly different role so his clearance numbers are well down. If Mitchell switched to JOMs role I reckon his clearance numbers would be similar. We saw last week how worpel thrived in JOMs role.

Which is the issue with stats - don’t really tell you how teams set up. JOMs stats look less impressive when eg worpel plays the same role and gets the same or better numbers.
With one caveat worpel has really struggled till last week especially with his kicking

Since round 12 Mitchell has looked like he is finally close to being fully fit again.

Over those last 11 games he's been averaging the below, despite only playing approx 83.91% of game time:

35.18 touches (16.73 kicks, 18.45 handballs)
12.18 contested touches
5.72 clearances
4.9 marks
5.64 tackles
0.64 goals (7 goals in total)
437.36m gained @ 12.43m per touch

He's also averaging 128.64 SC points, which was what he was doing during his peak 2017/18 period.

I'm not the biggest fan of the metres gained stat, but at least it shows he's not playing like a sideways merchant, which is probably the most common criticism of Mitchell.

For context, prior round 12* (10 games) he was averaging:

34.6 touches (12.9 kicks, 21.7 handballs)
11.1 contested touches
3.9 clearances
4.3 marks
4.4 tackles
0.1 goals (1 goal in total)
335.5m games @ 9.7m per touch

Also averaging 107.6 SC points.

* (not including the round 11 Suns game, where he was hampered and played only 74% of game time)

Since round 12 Mitchell has looked like he is finally close to being fully fit again.

Over those last 11 games he's been averaging the below, despite only playing approx 83.91% of game time:

35.18 touches (16.73 kicks, 18.45 handballs)
12.18 contested touches
5.72 clearances
4.9 marks
5.64 tackles
0.64 goals (7 goals in total)
437.36m gained @ 12.43m per touch

He's also averaging 128.64 SC points, which was what he was doing during his peak 2017/18 period.

I'm not the biggest fan of the metres gained stat, but at least it shows he's not playing like a sideways merchant, which is probably the most common criticism of Mitchell.

For context, prior round 12* (10 games) he was averaging:

34.6 touches (12.9 kicks, 21.7 handballs)
11.1 contested touches
3.9 clearances
4.3 marks
4.4 tackles
0.1 goals (1 goal in total)
335.5m games @ 9.7m per touch

Also averaging 107.6 SC points.

* (not including the round 11 Suns game, where he was hampered and played only 74% of game time)
Mitchell doesn't play today and we lose by 3 to 5 goals - I don't know his stats but he was omnipresent at vital contests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He should win the B&F. He’s the most consistent good player we have. The questions for his new coach are how to best structure the midfield for the next 5 years and whether Mitchell’s greatest value to us is as a part of that midfield or in what he can get us in a trade (as our most valuable asset trade wise). Valid arguments on both sides of that debate. Will be interesting

He should win the B&F. He’s the most consistent good player we have. The questions for his new coach are how to best structure the midfield for the next 5 years and whether Mitchell’s greatest value to us is as a part of that midfield or in what he can get us in a trade (as our most valuable asset trade wise). Valid arguments on both sides of that debate. Will be interesting

Would have thought he'd win the B&F too, with Wings and CJ closely behind.

If our entire list played with the same intensity and consistency of Tom Mitchell we wouldn't lose a game all year.

Probably the best player at getting the most out of his natural ability each and every week since his new coach Sam Mitchell strutted his stuff.

Goes to show just how much AFL (and all elite sports) is between the eyes not pure physical ability.

If our entire list played with the same intensity and consistency of Tom Mitchell we wouldn't lose a game all year.

Probably the best player at getting the most out of his natural ability each and every week since his new coach Sam Mitchell strutted his stuff.

Goes to show just how much AFL (and all elite sports) is between the eyes not pure physical ability.
oh boy, I think I've heard it all now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back