Welcome to Hawthorn - Tom Mitchell - 2018 Brownlow medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

Nomination or win the thing?

I've bet on Tommy to win it all. I'm feeling frisky.

(And that's why I picked up Burton for a RS nomination as a little hedge. I wanna win big on something. How else am I gonna get rich?)

I saw a couple of interesting stats today:

- Swans have a 15-1 record when Tom has had 30 touches.

- Swans have a 2-8 record in the last 10 games Tom hasn't had 18 touches or more.

Doesn't surprise me too much as one of the big issues the Swans have is that our midfield is not quite as robust as a lot of opposition fans think it is. Kennedy is always great, there is never any doubt there but there are games where for some reason the Swans midfield just failed on mass, as in it wasn't just one or two having poor games, but it was almost all of them where they got completely bullied in the clearances and completely out worked.

When the midfield is down only Kennedy stood up, and you could not expect Parker, Hannebery or Mitchell to take the game by the neck. Kennedy was the only one in these games who seems not to retreat into his shell and as a result of this, of the games where the midfield just completely fails it does not surprise me that Mitchell playing bad results in us losing as I would be very willing to bet in those same games Parker and Hannebery will have played very poorly as well.

Doesn't surprise me too much as one of the big issues the Swans have is that our midfield is not quite as robust as a lot of opposition fans think it is. Kennedy is always great, there is never any doubt there but there are games where for some reason the Swans midfield just failed on mass, as in it wasn't just one or two having poor games, but it was almost all of them where they got completely bullied in the clearances and completely out worked.

When the midfield is down only Kennedy stood up, and you could not expect Parker, Hannebery or Mitchell to take the game by the neck. Kennedy was the only one in these games who seems not to retreat into his shell and as a result of this, of the games where the midfield just completely fails it does not surprise me that Mitchell playing bad results in us losing as I would be very willing to bet in those same games Parker and Hannebery will have played very poorly as well.

Except the GF where Tommy was also pretty good with Kennedy.

Sydney has excellent midfielders but not as many genuine inside mids as some think except Kennedy and Mitchell. I was surprised to read some swans fans saying Mitchell was the most expendable. Jack et al are either outside or bits of this and that- albeit good players. When the heat is on, it's not their game. And then there's the lack of quality drive out of half back.... The gamble is on Heeney and Mills. Heeney should easily get there but Kennedy is 2 years older then. Nice problem to have though.

You mean like 2014 GF?

(I'm sorry, I couldn't resist!)

That is an example of it, but there are usually about 3 or 4 games a year, though usually only about a half where the Swans midfield is just awful and other than Kennedy there is no one that stands up. I mean against GWS in the qualifying final the Swans midfield may as well of just been witches hats for all the pressure they put on. I also recall the midfield being pretty bad for about a half against West Coast earlier in the year but when it started raining we got better.

That is an example of it, but there are usually about 3 or 4 games a year, though usually only about a half where the Swans midfield is just awful and other than Kennedy there is no one that stands up. I mean against GWS in the qualifying final the Swans midfield may as well of just been witches hats for all the pressure they put on. I also recall the midfield being pretty bad for about a half against West Coast earlier in the year but when it started raining we got better.

What do you think about the late fade-outs, the big example would be the Richmond game. What can the Swans do to fix that issue?

483861.jpg

Sydney has excellent midfielders but not as many genuine inside mids as some think except Kennedy and Mitchell. I was surprised to read some swans fans saying Mitchell was the most expendable. Jack et al are either outside or bits of this and that- albeit good players. When the heat is on, it's not their game. And then there's the lack of quality drive out of half back.... The gamble is on Heeney and Mills. Heeney should easily get there but Kennedy is 2 years older then. Nice problem to have though.
Jack the most expendable.
1 dimensional as a cardboard cutout.
Complete liability if you close his left side kicking options.
Sympathy co captain.
Only saving grace is his small impact on their salary cap thanks to his ambassador payments.

EDITED

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Priddis is a poor mans Tom Mitchell, I've put a pineapple on him winning charlie

Sympathy co captain.
Only saving grace is his small impact on their salary cap thanks to his my dad got beat up by an NRL homosexual ambassador payments.
Yes agreed he is the most expandable. They have a few players now who can provide the run he used to when they slower through the middle. The working class midfield, isn't that what an old Sydney coach used to call them .... Barnssssey would love it.

Sympathy co captain.
Only saving grace is his small impact on their salary cap thanks to his my dad got beat up by an NRL homosexual ambassador payments.

His Mum won't be happy with you for saying this.

The working class midfield, isn't that what an old Sydney coach used to call them .... Barnssssey would love it.
"Working hard to make a living"

Should we list which overpaid Sydney players to which this does not apply?

Yes please. Since I pride myself on the obvious easy short cuts, may a put forward Tippet? No need to sign him up twice though.
Tippet works very hard in the five minutes per game that he decides to participate in.

Awesome. Crazy to think Tom's move to Hawthorn has gone under the radar a bit due to the JOM, Mitchell and Lewis news.

But how good is it, Tom Mitchell contested ball machine is a Hawk.

His level of play will be twice that of Jordan's and on par Sams I think, that is a huge gain for us. The kid is a star and by the end of 2017 I'm betting he'll be an All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

Back