Toast Welcome to Hawthorn Tom Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

A regular compulsory session or two, one on one with Sammy Mitchell would help. Fixes his kicking and we have a good one.

Is it possible for players to improve their disposal? Logic tells me of course it is, why would their skills upon being drafted be the same level as after years of league footy?

My experience watching footy tells me that their level doesn't change much - their initial level sets the floor and ceiling of where their skills can go from there. Do we know any examples of players that went from poor to decent/good users?

Is it possible for players to improve their disposal? Logic tells me of course it is, why would their skills upon being drafted be the same level as after years of league footy?

My experience watching footy tells me that their level doesn't change much - their initial level sets the floor and ceiling of where their skills can go from there. Do we know any examples of players that went from poor to decent/good users?
Stratton was a very poor user he went to decent in the prime years and then dropped off again when he wasn't spending as much time on it

Plenty of examples going from poor to good users. Richmond's backline is full of them - Rance, Grimes and Astbury were all at one point absolute butchers. Rance in particular used to have awful turnovers. They worked a bit on that, simplified their options and it makes kicking an easier prospect. It's a lot better to be a good kick when you're taking the best option.

I also wonder whether learning the game plan might be tougher for mids. As they learn it they really need to focus on whet m should be kicking to, causing some doubt on occasions and mis-kicking.

That doesn’t help good one sided nature though. Hopefully that can be improved (a la Mitchell).

Brad Sewell is the poster-boy for this. Horrendous kick of the footy when he first came to the club. Spent hours and hours and more hours and yet even more hours improving his disposal. Was never pretty but by the end of his career, he was a reasonably reliable kick.

Brad Sewell is the poster-boy for this. Horrendous kick of the footy when he first came to the club. Spent hours and hours and more hours and yet even more hours improving his disposal. Was never pretty but by the end of his career, he was a reasonably reliable kick.
Sheils too
His set shots have massively improved

Maybe even Nash

Poor Tom Phillips is copping a lot about his disposal when its better than both Worpel and Mitchells.

Pretty harsh in my opinion. Given his disposal goes over a jam tin and therefore has to come back from a lot further distance.

Its hard to say its bad by Hawthorn standards other clubs I'm ok with. But us currently what the?

Poor Tom Phillips is copping a lot about his disposal when its better than both Worpel and Mitchells.

Pretty harsh in my opinion. Given his disposal goes over a jam tin and therefore has to come back from a lot further distance.

Its hard to say its bad by Hawthorn standards other clubs I'm ok with. But us currently what the?

Mate you're comparing inside mids skills to a winger.. cmon

No way is it better than Mitchell's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’re overrating smiths disposal. I never thought he was an elite user of the ball. Just had a long peg which he used to aplomb.
Smith's ability to gut a short or difficult target was horrendous. But he did break lines and could roost it 65 which made him extremely valuable.

Agree with most that Phillips is a good honest player, but unless he cleans u pp his disposal he is never going to move the needle for us. Good, cheap pick up overall.

Smith's ability to gut a short or difficult target was horrendous. But he did break lines and could roost it 65 which made him extremely valuable.

Agree with most that Phillips is a good honest player, but unless he cleans u pp his disposal he is never going to move the needle for us. Good, cheap pick up overall.
*hit a short target

Its not being harsh discussing ways he can elevate his game? He turns 25 shortly and is entering his prime years. I really hope he has the motivation to improve his kicking (both feet) over the next couple of years, as that, combined with his ball winning ability, would be a huge bonus for the club.

Tom Phillips' best abilities seem to be attracting the footy and covering the ground. If he can use his abilities to help us win the midfield contest, he'll keep his spot. Been serviceable so far, but Downie looms large.

Ball drop always seems to have him reaching to connect and off balance. Being so one sided probably doesn't help as he gets put under pressure easily.
Hopefully it isn't the hardest thing to fix?

Flip is averaging 21 disposals and 2 tackles a game in his first month in Hawthorn colours.

We could easily say we'd prefer that to be 25 and 4, but we hope more for every player on our list obviously.

He's had a solid enough start to his career with us. I can only see his game improving as the team does over the next couple of years.

The poor disposal that is being questioned isn't exclusive to Tom at the moment. If Downie comes on as we expect and Morrison continues his current run of form then we'll certainly have some solid wing stocks for the next 5-10 years.

Flip is averaging 21 disposals and 2 tackles a game in his first month in Hawthorn colours.

We could easily say we'd prefer that to be 25 and 4, but we hope more for every player on our list obviously.

He's had a solid enough start to his career with us. I can only see his game improving as the team does over the next couple of years.

The poor disposal that is being questioned isn't exclusive to Tom at the moment. If Downie comes on as we expect and Morrison continues his current run of form then we'll certainly have some solid wing stocks for the next 5-10 years.
I've been satisfied with his output to date. I think he'll be better against poorer sides, we have had a tough run.

Still think we need to judge new recruits starting their 2nd season. It takes a while to learn our systems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back