Toast Welcome to Hawthorn Tom Phillips

Thank god. I thought it was just the whiskey I'd had tonight that was dumbing me down. Clearly I'm not alone!
You have to read the article that was linked. It's about Phillips spending time with African refugees.

Phillips replaces Smith CJ is a long turm replacement for Henderson..
CJ is not going anywhere in my opinion his got a lot of X-Factor which we desperately need in the side, and once he gets it all together he'll be a special player.
Phillips replaced Hendo - Day is the only one on our list that could play like Smith (but not yet).

We got 3 (or 4?) good years out of Hendo. With a bit of luck, we could well get 8 out of Phillips. Pick 65 is quite obscene.

wheelie_hawk

Senior List
Oct 7, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Must be more to re Stephenson - Is his heart condition more serious than the club first thought - does it prevent him from playing out 4 quarters? Collingwood got burnt badly by Beams re his mental health/gambling/ alcohol issues. For a kid taken at pick 6, Rising star winner to be shipped out with a second rounder suggest that something is seriously wrong

Yeah its called gross financial mismanagement, coupled with Bucks' long standing view that every player should be confident like he was. He has stated this over the years, it's naive and fails to acknowledge that many players and people are simply not built that way. The way clubs and the pies then blame the player is classic bad PR tactics. Stephenson has made mistakes but 100's have over the years, he won't be the last, he could be anything. This year is so different that time will tell how he bounces back. I wish him well and watch the pies with boggled fascination.

I have rarely been a fan of Jeffs in life but these past few weeks makes me grateful for of how he conducts hawthorn business, cos as much as he can be a painful loudmouth now and then, he doesn't treat our club like his own personal plaything and put favourites (Beams etc) above the long term health prosperity of the club, like Eddie and the pies have done (forever?) these last couple of years.

This may well seal the pies and Bucks' fate for a long time to come. Our Approach while not electric is a far steader option. All of which is a long winded way of saying welcome TP and go well Atu an Stepho and Ads, bring on 2021!

May I post in your forum?

You have a fine wingman in Phillips. Fit as a flea, approaching Daisy Thomas levels of last quarter effectiveness. He would be saving us in the last line, tearing forward to snag goals and could go with his direct opponent as well. I feel like he's been squeezed out by Daicos and Sidebottom, and I think you can see the flaw in the thinking there (one being old and the other being a natural half-forward).

Supposedly he's an inaccurate long kick but my feeling is his place in the game plan contributed to his numbers there: I don't think his kicking is a weakness, I think he was often intervening when our mids got over-run and disposing under pressure. His kicking never struck me as a weakness.

Not a blazing star in finals but I don't think he's ever had a mare either, he is a guy who will help you win week in week out with solid fitness and extremely professional outlook. Good luck to him.
Cheers,

I was going to ask on your forum on Thursday about what sort of player he was, but as I noticed the atmosphere was...err...rather combustible....I thought it best to leave you guys to it....

Jul 6, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cheers mate. Fair wrap.

Yeah we just lost Hendo and Izzy. Both fine wingmen. And Scully is regressing at a rate of knots. Was a key need for us.

Downie and Day will be the kids that get a run through there too.

All the best.
Whilst Scully has been completely underwhelming in his 2 seasons at the Hawks I disagree he has regressed in that time. Thought his last 2 games of the season were 2 of his best with us. 18 possies against the Crows and 19 and 1 goal vs the Saints. 2019 was mainly spent recovering from a serious injury and this year I believe the shorter quarters really hampered his major strength of running harder and longer than any other player therefore reducing his effectiveness. Will start round 1 on the opposite wing to Tom P and I am willing to give him another chance to prove his worth and get back to some of that AA quality football for GWS before the serious ankle injury. A dozen or so games on the wide expanses of the G and extra match time won’t hurt his chances.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Whilst Scully has been completely underwhelming in his 2 seasons at the Hawks I disagree he has regressed in that time. Thought his last 2 games of the season were 2 of his best with us. 18 possies against the Crows and 19 and 1 goal vs the Saints. 2019 was mainly spent recovering from a serious injury and this year I believe the shorter quarters really hampered his major strength of running harder and longer than any other player therefore reducing his effectiveness. Will start round 1 on the opposite wing to Tom P and I am willing to give him another chance to prove his worth and get back to some of that AA quality football for GWS before the serious ankle injury. A dozen or so games on the wide expanses of the G and extra match time won’t hurt his chances.

I think the big difference is that Scully isn't dangerous. Thankfully Phillips can be. Not quite as much as Isaac, but enough to worry opposition sides. Once Smith and Hendo were cooked this season we didn't have damaging wingers to strike a bit of fear into the opposition when the ball is rebounding our way.

The thought of Phillips, Day and Downie as a wing combination makes me bloody giddy for the future though. Hopefully Day is a natural there and we land Downie draft night and he develops into what we believe he can.

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I keep seeing David Arquette and it makes me wanna scream!
GW gets it done and with an upgraded pick. TP should be about to come into his prime years as a player and what better place to do it than with Mighty Fighting Hawks
Welcome
Thinking more a rugged Ryan Gosling. Similar features. Hope he plays as good as the notebook.

Cyclops

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 25, 2001
Northern Suburbs
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
IOM Gyms, Preston Nth End
Cheers,

I was going to ask on your forum on Thursday about what sort of player he was, but as I noticed the atmosphere was...err...rather combustible....I thought it best to leave you guys to it....
Treloar and Phillips are respected as very decent people. The decision was not theirs and it was financial.

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I didn't check Shiels, but this seems wrong for JOM. Last year with full length games, JOM only got under 20 3 times, and under 18 only once. 2018 was similar, only 3 games under 20 disposals, although there was a 13 possession game that year, but that's the only one in a full length game that I'd call 'low teens' in the last two full seasons.

Phillips is a good get given what we paid. He's not as good as Smith in a number of areas, probably contested ball winning the only area you can really say he's superior to smith. Oh, and he doesn't wear a Geelong jumper which is also a massive plus versus Smith.
Smith is a better kick over long distance and is slightly quicker. Maybe kicks a few more goals but not much difference there. Phillips is very good at getting involved as much as possible, being part of chains of ball movement going down the ground because he reads the play well. I'd argue he is a better reader than Isaac. We don't just need the wingner to be damaging you need them to have an impact with the amount of ball they get too. Think Andrew Gaff. Phillips is more your Gaff type of Winger. Death by a thousands cut by sheer amount of ball he gets.

Beachy

Senior List
Jun 3, 2010
kew
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think we all need to understand that wrighty and clarko have built teams to play at the G. Our team is built on the ability to spread into space. Last year we didn't play at home. Our young key forward just started behind the eight ball and we never seemed to find our rhythm all year. Phillips is a huge addition to our style of play and one which we have always wanted, a hard running wingman who intercepts and can put the body on the line. We will be a very different team next year. It always take players time to adjust into clarko's methods and create synergies. With the training being fragmented into small groups this had a big impact. We spent plenty of time getting games into kids and there was a lot to like.

Simply you don't breakdown teams like Richmond and Brisbane without having something. I'm very confident that next year will surprise many.

May I post in your forum?

You have a fine wingman in Phillips. Fit as a flea, approaching Daisy Thomas levels of last quarter effectiveness. He would be saving us in the last line, tearing forward to snag goals and could go with his direct opponent as well. I feel like he's been squeezed out by Daicos and Sidebottom, and I think you can see the flaw in the thinking there (one being old and the other being a natural half-forward).

Supposedly he's an inaccurate long kick but my feeling is his place in the game plan contributed to his numbers there: I don't think his kicking is a weakness, I think he was often intervening when our mids got over-run and disposing under pressure. His kicking never struck me as a weakness.

Not a blazing star in finals but I don't think he's ever had a mare either, he is a guy who will help you win week in week out with solid fitness and extremely professional outlook. Good luck to him.

Thanks for posting but “approaching Daisy Thomas levels”?

So he’s hugely overrated, does one spectacular thing every game but shits himself when the pressure’s on?

Hmmm ...

I hope we draft Will Phillips just so somebody can start a thread comparing the two.
Our supporters can then spend years irrationally criticising one and boosting the other.
It's going to be great.
If only the last names were spelt slightly differently (like one with one L and one with two). That would create even more fun.

Last edited:

Cyclops

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 25, 2001
Northern Suburbs
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
IOM Gyms, Preston Nth End
Thanks for posting but “approaching Daisy Thomas levels”?

So he’s hugely overrated, does one spectacular thing every game but shits himself when the pressure’s on?

Hmmm ...
Daisy Thomas, contrary to the highlights real, was a gut runner who poured out his heart every game. He was available for silly speccies and lairising celebrations after running into open goals in the last quarter because he'd run one or more opponents into the dirt first. Yes the floppy hair and fist pumps were a bit embarrassing but he was loved at Pieland because he was ripping up and down the wing from fullback to full forward all day long. Phillips is similar for fitness until the last year or so and I expect he will get back to that level. Not as much of a lair though.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Daisy Thomas, contrary to the highlights real, was a gut runner who poured out his heart every game. He was available for silly speccies and lairising celebrations after running into open goals in the last quarter because he'd run one or more opponents into the dirt first. Yes the floppy hair and fist pumps were a bit embarrassing but he was loved at Pieland because he was ripping up and down the wing from fullback to full forward all day long. Phillips is similar for fitness until the last year or so and I expect he will get back to that level. Not as much of a lair though.
True. Remember Rossy Lyon saying Daisy was the best 2 way runner in the game back in 2010.

Totally agree..!
Tom Phillips will be a very good pick up for our club on and of the field.

He comes across as a quality person and an honest young man with maturity beyond his age, and with all the right attributes needed for building an maintaining a good culture in our footy club.

Future Captain...!

This nice read also speaks volumes about this young man.

Knows how to handle the media and comes of being honest and honourable.
Well played Flipper.

On Nokia 6.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Smith is a better kick over long distance and is slightly quicker. Maybe kicks a few more goals but not much difference there. Phillips is very good at getting involved as much as possible, being part of chains of ball movement going down the ground because he reads the play well. I'd argue he is a better reader than Isaac. We don't just need the wingner to be damaging you need them to have an impact with the amount of ball they get too. Think Andrew Gaff. Phillips is more your Gaff type of Winger. Death by a thousands cut by sheer amount of ball he gets.
I am a big fan of Gaff so if we have a Gaff version 2.0 that is fine in my books.

Given our other winger (Sculley) only averaged 13 disposals a game this year we need a high volume ball winner on the other flank.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Knows how to handle the media and comes of being honest and honourable.
Well played Flipper.

On Nokia 6.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep, you can keep your players with serious gambling problems, various behavioral issues and pending court cases and we will take the young chap who volunteers in refugee camps thanks very much.

Back