Toast Welcome to Hawthorn Tom Phillips

hk89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Smith is a better kick over long distance and is slightly quicker. Maybe kicks a few more goals but not much difference there. Phillips is very good at getting involved as much as possible, being part of chains of ball movement going down the ground because he reads the play well. I'd argue he is a better reader than Isaac. We don't just need the wingner to be damaging you need them to have an impact with the amount of ball they get too. Think Andrew Gaff. Phillips is more your Gaff type of Winger. Death by a thousands cut by sheer amount of ball he gets.

Yes, I think you're right. As others have mentioned, more a Henderson replacement than a Smith replacement. Henderson used to bob up with an easy goal after getting free deep in the forward line due to very hard running, compared to smith who would use his turn of pace to break lines and kick some nice long goals. Phillips definitely seems to do more of the former than the latter from what I recall. I do think we'll miss Smith's pace, but hopefully we can find that in other players.

Sep 15, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thanks for posting but “approaching Daisy Thomas levels”?

So he’s hugely overrated, does one spectacular thing every game but shits himself when the pressure’s on?

Hmmm ...

That's not really fair. Before his ankle he was a super talented kid with a huge leap. He was never the same after his ankle injuries.

A pies fan comparing Phillips to Thomas at his best is a big compliment.

Cyclops

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 25, 2001
Northern Suburbs
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
IOM Gyms, Preston Nth End
That's not really fair. Before his ankle he was a super talented kid with a huge leap. He was never the same after his ankle injuries.

A pies fan comparing Phillips to Thomas at his best is a big compliment.
I was just comparing fitness. You won't get Daisy's "watch me pull this out of my arse" attitude or the occasional 60m torp. Phillips skills are solid and well drilled (despite the stereotype of him being a wonky kick): like Daisy he will take a many a dashing intercept mark to save your arse but less goalsquare Jesaulenkos: he's no lair.

Coathanger

Club Legend
Dec 1, 2006
Cairns
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NY Yankees,Virginia Cavaliers
Yes, I think you're right. As others have mentioned, more a Henderson replacement than a Smith replacement. Henderson used to bob up with an easy goal after getting free deep in the forward line due to very hard running, compared to smith who would use his turn of pace to break lines and kick some nice long goals. Phillips definitely seems to do more of the former than the latter from what I recall. I do think we'll miss Smith's pace, but hopefully we can find that in other players.
Connor Downie baby!!!!!

You mean the stranglers' song wasn't about one man's love for everything Hawthorn? I'll need to give it another listen, as obviously the song's true meaning has escaped me!
It's a fantastic song all the same

Aug 16, 2009
Right behind you!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You mean the stranglers' song wasn't about one man's love for everything Hawthorn? I'll need to give it another listen, as obviously the song's true meaning has escaped me!
Golden Brown, never liked that song

Fields of Gold by Sting is a better one

It's like you've literally never watched Daisy play.
Daisy at his peak was a bloody good player and fun to watch to boot.
Pies best across both grand finals just not quite the best on ground in either
That ankle ruined him

Back