Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Agree. As a pure winger not at Smith’s level, but as a versatile mid that can play inside and on flanks as well, could be a huge addition. We should also get many years of service as well.

Smissy wasnt a physical as his size suggests. Phillips Downie and even Finn could be our enforcers going forward

Oct 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Number swap he will now wear the 21

Attachments

• 19687D1B-56E1-4CD8-A75D-1BE5B0612DDF.png
    19687D1B-56E1-4CD8-A75D-1BE5B0612DDF.png
    887.1 KB · Views: 108
If they were season averages, he's more than paid for himself. I think he's got another gear though.

Marvel is never a wingman's paradise. Expect him to get far more of the pill on the G.

Dlm888

Rookie
Jun 9, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I thought he was great! Really surprised by his composure and skills (probably didn't pay much attention to him at Collingwood). People instantly want to label him the Isaac Smith replacement. I think they're totally different players in their own respect. Phillips seems really comfortable slowing the play and making decisions which is an asset in a young team. I think we have enough run and carry on the list, smart footballers are hard to find and I think we might have one here.

I thought he was great! Really surprised by his composure and skills (probably didn't pay much attention to him at Collingwood). People instantly want to label him the Isaac Smith replacement. I think they're totally different players in their own respect. Phillips seems really comfortable slowing the play and making decisions which is an asset in a young team. I think we have enough run and carry on the list, smart footballers are hard to find and I think we might have one here.
More Henderson than Smith about him I reckon.

Dipper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2000
London,England
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Allies FCC
I think you're right, he's not a galloping open space winger is he.

CJ when he's on the gallop is the Iomith replacement really. They've both got that rangey style where an act of evasion at full tilt is like a bloke bolting through a closing door and pulling his arse forward at the last moment so the door doesn't hit it.

TP put in a nice kick for someone to mark and goal right in front, with the discussions around his disposal I was happy to see that.

On moto g(7) using BigFooty.com mobile app

HAWKSBESTEVA

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That was Phillips at his worst yet he still made a positive impact! He will be in all Australian contention this season just wait.

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Watched the game last night. He had some real opportunities to hurt the Tigers which he fluffed. Disappointing hit out. I kept thinking what would Izzy have done there. :(

Pie fans lamented his disposal against quality opposition and they look on the money. Hopefully 12 months and practice in the Hawks environment sees improvement.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW
Watched the game last night. He had some real opportunities to hurt the Tigers which he fluffed. Disappointing hit out. I kept thinking what would Izzy have done there. :(

Pie fans lamented his disposal against quality opposition and they look on the money. Hopefully 12 months and practice in the Hawks environment sees improvement.

honestly Isaac was one of our worst offenders in 19-20 of just bombing it long inside 50. He was a good kick but not really a smart one

Phillips suits our timeline much better as well

it was one bad game in his 2nd hitout with the club, as you say let's give him a season to get used to our system and see what he can do. What you're saying is true, but you're ignoring this part of your post which is just as important:

'he had some real opportunities to hurt the tiggies'

just being in those positions suggests he can be a damaging player for us going forward. There are two elements at play here, and the fact he has one down pat is promising.

Toasted

All Australian
Jul 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn

He’s not alone there. We had a few players who were in positions to hurt the Tigers who didn’t. Either via disposal, fumbling, dropped marks or poor decision making. What I looked for, was the effort which, in my opinion, was there in spades.

Back