Toast Welcome to Hawthorn Tom Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

I was a little bit angry with him Sunday, as the part of the game where I was actually paying attention to what he was doing, he made a series of turnovers.

In retrospect, he wasn't alone, so I'm keen to see how he goes against the Cats

My posts re Tom were more referring to his disposal by foot going inside our attacking 50 (seperate to the other clangers by the team on the day) He had a few opportunities to hurt the Tigers and missed his targets, instead turning it over. Had time and space as well.

Really hope he can turn it around on Monday!

My posts re Tom were more referring to his disposal by foot going inside our attacking 50 (seperate to the other clangers by the team on the day) He had a few opportunities to hurt the Tigers and missed his targets, instead turning it over. Had time and space as well.

Really hope he can turn it around on Monday!
It's a little bit strange Rnd 1 we played him thru the midfield and he was good, Rnd two we played him thru the forward flank. Which he doesn't like or play well.

We did it simply because Clarko is committed to getting Burgs (who I absolutely love) to 400 games this year. He suffered the hit for Burgs being on Dusty. (Interestingly even though it suprised Hardwick apparently both coaches overall gave Dusty BOG between them) Would we have been better off playing a younger player who will be around a little longer on Dusty in the middle where he plays his best footy and Burgs as a HFF or not?

That is perhaps the real question. Wouldn't be surprised to see Burgs the sub this week, last week would have taken a toll on his body.

It's a little bit strange Rnd 1 we played him thru the midfield and he was good, Rnd two we played him thru the forward flank. Which he doesn't like or play well.

We did it simply because Clarko is committed to getting Burgs (who I absolutely love) to 400 games this year. He suffered the hit for Burgs being on Dusty. (Interestingly even though it suprised Hardwick apparently both coaches overall gave Dusty BOG between them) Would we have been better off playing a younger player who will be around a little longer on Dusty in the middle where he plays his best footy and Burgs as a HFF or not?

That is perhaps the real question. Wouldn't be surprised to see Burgs the sub this week, last week would have taken a toll on his body.
It's that simple?

The only reason?

Can see why the Pies weren't overly fussed with losing him, isn't great by foot nor very clean with his pick ups etc, lucky we paid little but I feel at some point we'll need an upgrade if we really want to climb the ladder.

3 games in to his time with us. Not sure he should be seen as the finished product just yet.
Let’s see how he’s tracking in a month.

3 games in to his time with us. Not sure he should be seen as the finished product just yet.
Let’s see how he’s tracking in a month.

It's early days at us, but these were also thoughts from a few of my pies mates also from his time at the Woods. Hopefully he irons out these weaknesses somehow. At least he can run all day though, that's a positive.

Can see why the Pies weren't overly fussed with losing him, isn't great by foot nor very clean with his pick ups etc, lucky we paid little but I feel at some point we'll need an upgrade if we really want to climb the ladder.

21 touches at 85% yesterday. Was good I thought. Only real weakness I saw was wanting to get onto his left foot so badly he ran himself into trouble.

He is decent overhead too. Pretty handy for us so far. I think as we all grow into the game plan he will look better.

Only 24 too, for the equivalent of what we'd be getting from a 4th rounder it's a bit silly to complain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worth remembering that not every player has to be a superstar or B&F winner.

The truth is unless he develops massively he will never be a top 5 player in a contending team but i tell you what if he can be in the top 10-15 of our best 22 we will be back competing again. A player who can consistently contribute, play his role and play multiple positions despite not dominating at any of them that is how you go back to being a top team.

Also capable of having some huge games as well so i don't want to downplay him either. He has been what i thought he would be early. He will also be a better player in a better team.

Only Gunston and Lake seemed to dominate straight away, whilst others took a year to adjust.

Gunners and Lake took a little while, Lake is the first to admit he'd been very hot and cold all season but it all clicked in the GF.

Tom Mitchell came in and played very well straight away but didn't quite gel with his teammates as well as he could.

I think we also got to take into consideration that players put eachother under the pump and there were many times phillips was sold into trouble

Gunners and Lake took a little while, Lake is the first to admit he'd been very hot and cold all season but it all clicked in the GF.

Tom Mitchell came in and played very well straight away but didn't quite gel with his teammates as well as he could.

They also came into a side that was already firing on all cylinders. Gunston in particular was cream on a nicely made forward line cake (doubly good that he was a gun). Lake filled a key role, and did it well, but it wasn't obvious in that first year that he would go beastmode (Particularly his under performance at the Doggies and unfortunate personal collapse post footy. The club did well giving him a support environment where he could achieve so much.)

Lost count of how many players we've brought in over the years who took up to a year to come good in our system.
This. Frawley struggled first year as well yet a few are getting impatient with Hartigan. It takes time to adjust to a new club and teammates strengths and weaknesses. It is what it is.

Gets to the right spots regularly.
Wins plenty of the ball.
Goes at about 0.5 goals per game as a mid which is pretty good esp with our lack of goal kicking mids.
Only 24 so arguably his best footy is in front of him.

But...
Very one sided without a trick to get away with it. Can stuff things up because of this.
Not a great tackler.
Not a great defensive runner at times - is this attitude or fitness? One thing I know is we won't tolerate it if it is a recurring theme. Doesnt look super fit to me.
Iffy disposal and decision making quite regularly. His stats and efficiency generally looks like a pass after each game but it is the moments that he runs into trouble often in key contests that is holding him back.

He's not quite the player I thought we were getting but never really watched him that closely. A few Collingwood mates said over the last couple of seasons would be 1 good game in 4.

If he can tidy things up he is valuable but for mine hasn't set the world on fire for us yet. Doesn't seem to carry a lot of confidence.

Similar to Hartigan there’s a reason he only cost a 4th.

Pies fans didn’t seem too fussed when he left - mainly as he’s a butcher by foot. And at 24 and with almost a 100 games how much will this improve?

In a better and more rounded team he’d be cheap depth (eg like Simpkin was) but in a side with a slow and poorly skilled midfield he’s just compounding our issues.

Given he seems to be in the square and hff quite often is he keeping cousins out of the team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back