Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn Tom Scully. Congratulations for finally making it onto an AFL list!

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with the outlay the trade is obviously a win, but I'm not so sure he'll be good enough to be the no 1 outside mid in a Premiership winning team in the next 3 years.

Has hardly trained all year, hasn't had a pre-season and it shows - but if he gets a full pre-season in and can train with the group through the week it changes drastically.

He's 100% a number 1 outside mid, particularly with the reduction in rotations that may be continued further.

People are forgetting the lack of a preseason and the fact he's still bringing himself up to speed on our systems. He'll be fine.

Has hardly trained all year, hasn't had a pre-season and it shows - but if he gets a full pre-season in and can train with the group through the week it changes drastically.

He's 100% a number 1 outside mid, particularly with the reduction in rotations that may be continued further.

Maybe in a bottom 6 side....

Maybe in a bottom 6 side....

If Kamdyn McIntosh and Chris Masten are premiership wingman, Scully sure is.

Scully is the best endurance runner still in the game and can conceivably spend 90+ percent of the game on field which is unbelievable for non KPP players.

He doesn't stop moving, doesn't need to rest anywhere near as much as the average player - that means we can cycle our players that have more explosive traits and utilise them more for their impact. It also means the ground opens up more, and constantly running means that we can always be sure that Scully could be there and cause an outnumber.

If Kamdyn McIntosh and Chris Masten are premiership wingman, Scully sure is.

Scully is the best endurance runner still in the game and can conceivably spend 90+ percent of the game on field which is unbelievable for non KPP players.

He doesn't stop moving, doesn't need to rest anywhere near as much as the average player - that means we can cycle our players that have more explosive traits and utilise them more for their impact. It also means the ground opens up more, and constantly running means that we can always be sure that Scully could be there and cause an outnumber.

When did I say he can't play in a Premiership side ? I said I don't think he's good enough to be the No 1 wingman in a premiership side.

Probably the biggest positive to take away from 2019 (outside of Worpel) would be the return of Scully. Got better as the season went on and looked really damaging at his best. Really think he will jump up a couple of levels next season with a higher fitness base, more understanding with his team mates and hopefully getting that penetration back in to his kicking.

That's the big question I have too BJK#5 , can he get his kicking back to pre injury standards?
I should note, there was little to no expectations of Tom playing much from where I sat at the start of the season so it is a massive tick for getting on the park every week except R1.
But, he like so many before him, struggled to get the 'hawthorn way' which coupled with his lower the usual fitness based saw me questioning if he'll ever be the aerobic beast he was at GWS and as such one of the best winger/2 way runners in the game.
Rotations-wise, when at GWS he was like a 23rd player in the 2nd half of games so hoping we can see that again with the hawks.
My expectations for next year are seeing 16km games again, mid 20's possessions and attacking the F50 like Hill was able to do in our 3 peat year.
We are building nicely for a tilt with he, Chad and Tom back and, at present, not losing anything that significantly contributed to our season this year

That's the big question I have too BJK#5 , can he get his kicking back to pre injury standards?
I should note, there was little to no expectations of Tom playing much from where I sat at the start of the season so it is a massive tick for getting on the park every week except R1.
But, he like so many before him, struggled to get the 'hawthorn way' which coupled with his lower the usual fitness based saw me questioning if he'll ever be the aerobic beast he was at GWS and as such one of the best winger/2 way runners in the game.
Rotations-wise, when at GWS he was like a 23rd player in the 2nd half of games so hoping we can see that again with the hawks.
My expectations for next year are seeing 16km games again, mid 20's possessions and attacking the F50 like Hill was able to do in our 3 peat year.
We are building nicely for a tilt with he, Chad and Tom back and, at present, not losing anything that significantly contributed to our season this year
I am hopeful that doing a proper pre-season will see him raise his fitness base considerably again. We have to remember he didn't complete much (if any?) of the preseason last year. It's not uncommon that this sets a player back considerably, let alone one returning from such a long and serious injury lay off. May be the eternal optimist in me, but I'm thinking he'll end up adding more than gaining Brad Hill back would have.

Guys, his preseason wasn't that interrupted. He was training from day 1 (modified) and played round 2. Not the best as no practice games and not in full training the whole time but..

He was still the fitest player on the ground in nearly every game.

He may get better but his running numbers were similar to his peak.

Improvement will be from knowing his role better and not having the rust of a year out.

Guys, his preseason wasn't that interrupted. He was training from day 1 (modified) and played round 2. Not the best as no practice games and not in full training the whole time but..

Improvement will be from knowing his role better and not having the rust of a year out.
Yes it was

He didn’t start light running until just before Christmas, the running comes naturally to him but it’s the strength in the legs that can improve. Extra penetration in his kicking will see him get back closer to his best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine he’d be feeling a little flat watching Giants next week. Hopefully motivates him over the pre season
At least he knows if he was still on their list he would not have been playing as they gave up on fixing his ankle.

Can someone elaborate on what has happened to him?

In a couple of threads, it's implied he's done. Is it the ankle, mental health, something else?

Someone also said he was still in Sydney only a few days ago and not training.
From what I understand it is a family health matter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back