Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn Tom Scully. Congratulations for finally making it onto an AFL list!

Scully was never going to come out and say that he thinks he’s on target for Round 1 of 2019 after all the melting in the media about how cheap we got him.

He needs to play dead for a few months.

Mojo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2007
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If he can't run atm, and likely won't until January (quoted yesterday) doesn't that put him behind compared to everybody in the pre-season? At some point he'll have to make up those km/training...

Very sceptical on Round 1.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Scully was never going to come out and say that he thinks he’s on target for Round 1 of 2019 after all the melting in the media about how cheap we got him.

He needs to play dead for a few months.

Kornes would launch an investigation mate. We gotta be careful at present.

Aug 16, 2009
Behind you
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If he can't run atm, and likely won't until January (quoted yesterday) doesn't that put him behind compared to everybody in the pre-season? At some point he'll have to make up those km/training...

Very sceptical on Round 1.
You would think so. Plus the fact that they will surely have to slowly add load and monitor to see how the ankle (and knee etc) are responding so they don’t over do it.

Makes a whole lot of sense to manage expectations and simply aim to build fitness and touch over the first part of the season.

This trade reminds me of when the guy down the road is selling a 1999 Toyota Corolla for $300 and you think, well what could go wrong, I mean what would I have used the $300 on anyway, and i can always use it for parts. Let's hope it gets the roadworthy certificate soon so we can see what this baby can do, the take it off road and rev the hell out of it.

Mojo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2007
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This trade reminds me of when the guy down the road is selling a 1999 Toyota Corolla for $300 and you think, well what could go wrong, I mean what would I have used the $300 on anyway, and i can always use it for parts. Let's hope it gets the roadworthy certificate soon so we can see what this baby can do, the take it off road and rev the hell out of it.

I mean, you could have used a better example than a '99 Toyota Corolla.

I mean, you could have used a better example than a '99 Toyota Corolla.
I think it’s more akin to a 2012 Mercedes CLK which has been pinched and thrashed briefly before being impounded and repaired. No one is sure whether it will perform the way it used to.

In fairness, sometimes its easier to have success with someone if you get them 2nd hand. Everyone knows what worked and (more importantly) didnt first time round and you get a chance to look at things with fresh perspective. When you're blazing the trail yourself it can be easier to miss things or become too narrow focused on what you think should be working to the detriment of other, potentially more useful avenues.

Larkins made a good point in that the Dees couldnt get his knee right but then GWS seemingly could. I dont think the GWS medical team is as good as some other clubs but that fresh perspective possibly makes a huge difference.
players can also get better at following instructions and managing their own bodies

I know our staff are not perfect but do you seriously believe that we can only keep traded in players healthy and that if our drafted players get injured our medico's have no clue because that is what Zack wrote

Dec 29, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
players can also get better at following instructions and managing their own bodies

I know our staff are not perfect but do you seriously believe that we can only keep traded in players healthy and that if our drafted players get injured our medico's have no clue because that is what Zack wrote

I think we are good across the board. By no means perfect but we seem to handle everything as good if not better than almost everyone else. But i get what you're saying.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
In fairness, sometimes its easier to have success with someone if you get them 2nd hand. Everyone knows what worked and (more importantly) didnt first time round and you get a chance to look at things with fresh perspective. When you're blazing the trail yourself it can be easier to miss things or become too narrow focused on what you think should be working to the detriment of other, potentially more useful avenues.

Larkins made a good point in that the Dees couldnt get his knee right but then GWS seemingly could. I dont think the GWS medical team is as good as some other clubs but that fresh perspective possibly makes a huge difference.
Oy
I resent that, but it is your board.

:oops: There is some evidence you may be right though. We have added a new medical practioner and manager of physical performance for next year.

The most damning comment was a sarcastic aside about our decision making re injured players by Phil Davis in his weekly podcast. He's a straight shooter but not keen to be critical as you'd expect.

Dec 29, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Oy
I resent that, but it is your board.

:oops: There is some evidence you may be right though. We have added a new medical practioner and manager of physical performance for next year.

The most damning comment was a sarcastic aside about our decision making re injured players by Phil Davis in his weekly podcast. He's a straight shooter but not keen to be critical as you'd expect.

Sorry mate, absolutely no offense intended at all.

I find it really interesting as you guys have the Giants APU which is a great idea. As far as I can tell its set up to be a hub for athletic performance, information sharing etc. Kind of an academic go-to I guess.

But your injury issues over the last few seasons has been crippling to such a potentially brilliant side. You got Scully's knee right, but the sheer volume of injuries is staggering.

I go on a bit about this sort of stuff, and I hope everyones not sick of it, but I think you guys are symptomatic of the wider industry.

Best intentions, academically focused, but ultimately missing the point a little.

I read an amazing article which I cant find atm, where Cameron mentioned a recent in-season spate of injuries was essentially bad luck. Im sure they dont believe that in house but it was staggering to read.

FWIW I can see things turning around soon if change has been made but ill continue to watch with interest!

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Sorry mate, absolutely no offense intended at all.

I find it really interesting as you guys have the Giants APU which is a great idea. As far as I can tell its set up to be a hub for athletic performance, information sharing etc. Kind of an academic go-to I guess.

But your injury issues over the last few seasons has been crippling to such a potentially brilliant side. You got Scully's knee right, but the sheer volume of injuries is staggering.

I go on a bit about this sort of stuff, and I hope everyones not sick of it, but I think you guys are symptomatic of the wider industry.

Best intentions, academically focused, but ultimately missing the point a little.

I read an amazing article which I cant find atm, where Cameron mentioned a recent in-season spate of injuries was essentially bad luck. Im sure they dont believe that in house but it was staggering to read.

FWIW I can see things turning around soon if change has been made but ill continue to watch with interest!
I'm not offended, it was an attempt at humor. I get offended by our supporters trashing the club, but you aren't one of us and didn't trash us anyway.

One of the things I like about the club is it's willing to confront reality, which I think is something successful clubs have to have. Leon has said that it's bad luck, as has Mummy to me directly and Cal Ward yesterday in a press conference. At the same time we did an internal review in 2017 and an external one last year.
Leon conceded we mismanaged Toby Greene's injury and he had a season that just didn't work in the end.

We're still a new club and still have some things to learn no doubt. . We have made changes this year and at this stage I have faith.

Some of the issues may well relate to having less mature hardened bodies than other clubs in previous years, but that excuse has worn thin.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
His presser was typical Hawks.

Play down all expectation and fly under the radar all off-season.
Then Round 1 comes around and bang, he's named.

I'm happy for him to focus on his body and get 110% right for any round.

Agreed. I hope we think long term on this and give him time....

I'm not offended, it was an attempt at humor. I get offended by our supporters trashing the club, but you aren't one of us and didn't trash us anyway.

One of the things I like about the club is it's willing to confront reality, which I think is something successful clubs have to have. Leon has said that it's bad luck, as has Mummy to me directly and Cal Ward yesterday in a press conference. At the same time we did an internal review in 2017 and an external one last year.
Leon conceded we mismanaged Toby Greene's injury and he had a season that just didn't work in the end.

We're still a new club and still have some things to learn no doubt. . We have made changes this year and at this stage I have faith.

Some of the issues may well relate to having less mature hardened bodies than other clubs in previous years, but that excuse has worn thin.
Whether an injury is preventable or just bad luck depends entirely on what type of injury you’re talking about.

A spate of groins, calves, hamstrings is poor management.

Knees, ankles and fractures are all bad luck.

Back