Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn Tom Scully. Congratulations for finally making it onto an AFL list!

Remove this Banner Ad

Not that I’m adamantly against the idea, it what would you be looking for out of the BHH matches? Just a bit of extra touch? Learning game plan? Not sure how much he has to gain from playing there.

That being said, I can’t recall when his last AFL match was? Last third of last year?
He missed round 1 last year with injury and then the broken ankle very early in the second QTR of round two against the Pies at the G.

My worry from that injury was his lateral movement after reports he was back running. You wouldn't put him in match sim unless your high performance team were happy with that though.

He missed round 1 last year with injury and then the broken ankle very early in the second QTR of round two against the Pies at the G.

My worry from that injury was his lateral movement after reports he was back running. You wouldn't put him in match sim unless your high performance team were happy with that though.

Thanks for clarifying. For some reason I thought he’d played throughout the season and missed the last third. Cheers.

Not that I’m adamantly against the idea, it what would you be looking for out of the BHH matches? Just a bit of extra touch? Learning game plan? Not sure how much he has to gain from playing there.

That being said, I can’t recall when his last AFL match was? Last third of last year?
Match conditioning.

His time on field will be heavily managed at first.

Just getting match fitness I presume and confidence. He last played in rd 2 or 3 last year

Seriously, we are not winning the flag this year, so we might as well get everyone 100% cherry ripe ready for 2020.

Get a nice top 5 pick, throw Coniglio in with a fully fit Scully, Mitchell, Wingard etc and there is our rebuild complete.

It’s not that easy unfortunately.

Our current talls/spine players are weak and we need a plan in place to address this area next quick smart.

Roughy -coming to the end
Brand -Honest battler.
Schoey -final year unless he shows something
Frawley -a year or two left max depending on his body.
Obrien - Just has never come on.
Lewis - might make a player’hopefully but a long long way off with his fitness and game understanding.

It’s not that easy unfortunately.

Our current talls/spine players are weak and we need a plan in place to address this area next quick smart.

Roughy -coming to the end
Brand -Honest battler.
Schoey -final year unless he shows something
Frawley -a year or two left max depending on his body.
Obrien - Just has never come on.
Lewis - might make a player’hopefully but a long long way off with his fitness and game understanding.
This is accurate. To win multiple premierships remember the list we had? Bud, Rough, Lake, Cyril, Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Birchall, Gibson.. in truthfulness we only have a few players of this caliber at the moment and the depth behind these guys isn’t quite there yet either.. We all want success and I’d back the Hawks in more than any club to get there as quickly as possible, I just think some people need to remind themselves just how hard it is to build a premiership list, especially without access to the draft.

This is accurate. To win multiple premierships remember the list we had? Bud, Rough, Lake, Cyril, Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Birchall, Gibson.. in truthfulness we only have a few players of this caliber at the moment and the depth behind these guys isn’t quite there yet either.. We all want success and I’d back the Hawks in more than any club to get there as quickly as possible, I just think some people need to remind themselves just how hard it is to build a premiership list, especially without access to the draft.
It is easy to forget just how ridicously good our squad was in the 3 peat years. Even the "lesser" players on the list during those premiership (Hale, Guerea, etc) were really good AFL players.
Clarko gives us I estimate a 1 to 2 game head start on the rest of the comp due to his superior coaching / systems but you need that overall list quality to succeed in finals (as evidenced by our straight sets exit last year).

If you're comparing list quality to clubs like Geelong 2007 - 2011, Hawthorn 2013 - 2015 and Brisbane 2001 - 2003 you're failing from the beginning.

Those sides were at that level for a reason, and there is no club in the competition with anything that comes close to a comparable amount of talent. The genuine A Graders for their positions on our list in 2013 were:

Hodge - Star
Mitchell - Star
Lewis - Probably has the least claim to A grade for their position
Roughead - Coleman, AA
Franklin - 60 goals, perennial AA
Rioli - AA Previous Year
Lake - Norm Smith
Breust - Kicked 40 goals, AA the next year
Gunston - Kicked 46 goals
Gibson - B&F
Birchall - AA in 2012

That's half the 22 running out on the park. When you compare it to Richmond who had 4 in Rance, Martin, Cotchin and Riewoldt as their genuine A Graders in 2017 it's even more stark.

West Coast had only Kennedy, Darling, McGovern and Shuey (at a stretch Hurn) actually playing in the 2018 GF.

The point is that we don't really need a list like we had anymore, because they're historically very difficult to put together.

Edit: Whoops, forgot Yeo. Still!

Last edited:
If you're comparing list quality to clubs like Geelong 2007 - 2011, Hawthorn 2013 - 2015 and Brisbane 2001 - 2003 you're failing from the beginning.

Those sides were at that level for a reason, and there is no club in the competition with anything that comes close to a comparable amount of talent. The genuine A Graders for their positions on our list in 2013 were:

Hodge - Star
Mitchell - Star
Roughead - Coleman, AA
Rioli - AA Previous Year
Lake - Norm Smith
Gibson - B&F
Birchall - AA in 2012

That's half the 22 running out on the park. When you compare it to Richmond who had 4 in Rance, Martin, Cotchin and Riewoldt as their genuine A Graders in 2017 it's even more stark.

West Coast had only Kennedy, Darling, McGovern and Shuey (at a stretch Hurn) actually playing in the 2018 GF.

The point is that we don't really need a list like we had anymore, because they're historically very difficult to put together.

Think WC had a couple extra A grade players in that match, Barrass is a beast & Hurn is definitely A grade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nic Nat and Gaff are a handy couple that helped them get to the GF and will return.
I understand they had those players on their list, but in that Grand Final they had hardly any. They won their most difficult games without them.

Going further back, the Dogs won with a relative dearth of A graders in 2016.

The point is that we do not have to have a list comparable to the one we had from 2013 - 2015 because no other team is even close to having that.

We just use the wrong criteria for grading players.
Too much individual focus not enough focus on teamwork.
Whilst this is true and you could argue recent premiers have been more even across the board rather than relying on individual brilliance, id still say we are very much lacking in some pretty key areas, noticibly midfield depth and KPP, and these need to be addressed with seasoned players that that have gelled with their teammates before we can really be talking flags.

Hodge - Star
Mitchell - Star
Roughead - Coleman, AA
Rioli - AA Previous Year
Lake - Norm Smith
Gibson - B&F
Birchall - AA in 2012

Pretty good point, and I think this highlights why ourselves and Geelong and Brisbane were able to have sustainable success.

However, it also highlights the importance key position players are towards winning premierships. West Coast had a dominant duo of Darling and Kennedy on grand-final day. They also had McGovern and Barrass down back.

Richmond had Jack up-forward and down back a combination of Rance, Grimes and Astubury is as good as any.

Our key position stocks read Rough, Lewis, Shoemakers and Nash up forward. And Frawley, Brand, Mohr and O'Brien down back. For us to compete for a flag again it's an area we are going to have to address.

We won't be trading for Coniglio, they will be compensated by the AFL should he choose to leave.

If we didn't match for Buddy then there's no way we're trading for a FA.

If we massively front load any potential contact for him, they wouldn't be able to match anyway.

Why would we want to trade and help the plastics out anyway?

They've been given enough, it's time we all took our pound of flesh from the f@#kers.
Will the comp pick they get be better than pick 18?

(Has this joke already been made in this thread? I bet it has)

Bigfooty mainboard is going to implode. :D

giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back