Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn Tom Scully. Congratulations for finally making it onto an AFL list!

Remove this Banner Ad

drviccles

Team Captain
May 5, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How on earth did he make such a miraculous recovery and how come GWS let him get away so cheap? Still feel like it's a dream that we got him.

Absolute steal if he stays fit. Can't remember us ever having a stronger outside running brigade in Smith, Scully, Hendo and Morrison.
Reckon that list looks a lot better without Morrison

Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
His stats from last weekend were perfect.

26 touches, 2 goals. 92% DE, 4 tackles.

That's what you want from your 4th rounders.

The acquisition of Scully and Henderson’s career best form have made us extremely dangerous on the outside - to the point where I think it’s gone from a weakness to a strength. Our outside run is the best we’ve had since Hilly - arguably it may even be better. It’s just a pity Smithy seems somewhat down on impact - and we lost our best ball extractor to feed these players - because I genuinely think this outside group can blitz teams both with pace and disposal.

The acquisition of Scully and Henderson’s career best form have made us extremely dangerous on the outside - to the point where I think it’s gone from a weakness to a strength. Our outside run is the best we’ve had since Hilly - arguably it may even be better. It’s just a pity Smithy seems somewhat down on impact - and we lost our best ball extractor to feed these players - because I genuinely think this outside group can blitz teams both with pace and disposal.
Agreed. On both the quality of the outside and the downturn in Smith's impact. Someone argued in another thread it's because he's being used more on the flanks, but I would have thought that would give him even more of a change to burn off a less aerobically fit opponent.

Can't wait to see what happens when the A-team mid-fielders all make it back from injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Anyone got GPS data for scully last few weeks? Think we've established his baseline is about 15-20 disposals with not great efficiency but still absolutely everywhere. Now need the polish and finish to come back into his game.

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
I've been very happy with Scully. The knocks would be penetration by foot, especially under pressure he taps it 20 when it should be 40 hoof. He's not that strong either around packs. But apart from that can't complain. Actually ain't complaining about that tbh, if he didn't have those flaws we wouldn't have got him.

OnceKicked50

Cancelled
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Absolute steal if he stays fit. Can't remember us ever having a stronger outside running brigade in Smith, Scully, Hendo and Morrison.

On paper dude. Smith has been really poor this year and Morrison was dropped to the magoos. Henderson has been unbelievable but.

Still time for it to come to fruition and it was great to see Morrison respond as he did.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Sad news on Tom Scully's father in law Gavin Robertson. He a growth on his brain and went in for scans and found out it was a tumor. He is currently fighting for his life after the surgery.
Wishing Tom and Zoe all the best.

Heard about that brain cancer, but had absolutely no idea that Tom was married to his daughter. Best of luck to Gavin but sadly it didn't sound positive.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Needs to get a bit more strength into his legs/kicking. Understandable he would've lost some muscle/power due to the injury, but hopefully next preseason he can get 5-10m more into his legs.

Apart from that his run has been superb, and you'd expect him to build chemistry with the team regarding his running patterns as he plays more games in the mighty brown and gold.

Last edited:

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Peak Scully did that in 2016 & 2017, I'm hopeful but not expecting that he'll get back to that level of performance.

To be fair, he's nowhere near that output anymore.

He's always going to be able to run, but he's lost his top speed for mine. Doesn't hit the scoreboard much. And generally lacks confidence in the contest.

For what we paid, who cares right? But he's miles off his best, if we're to be frank here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back