Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn Tom Scully. Congratulations for finally making it onto an AFL list!

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, he's nowhere near that output anymore.

He's always going to be able to run, but he's lost his top speed for mine. Doesn't hit the scoreboard much. And generally lacks confidence in the contest.

For what we paid, who cares right? But he's miles off his best, if we're to be frank here.
Like most new players at the club we need to give him 12 months. Despite that I have not really rated him this season at all.

Mind you he does seem to be in thick of a lot of contests which is probably not his natural game.

He's always going to be able to run, but he's lost his top speed for mine. Doesn't hit the scoreboard much. And generally lacks confidence in the contest.

For what we paid, who cares right? But he's miles off his best, if we're to be frank here.
For what we paid and what we need who cares is right.
We got an elite runner cheap, we could be losing Smith this year or next, Hendo is a different kind of runner. Morrison has stagnated.

For the price he fills a need very well, anything else we get out of him is a bonus.

Agree 100% with everything you just, pretty much summed up the situation perfectly.

Starting to think GWS are very good at who they let go, a lot of the GWS boys they've let out the door have either not come on (look at the long list of Carlton's ex GWS players) or being let go because of injury and past there best (Scully and soon to be Patton).
Also can't discount Carlton being at least partly to blame for there ex GWS players not coming on.

Starting to think GWS are very good at who they let go, a lot of the GWS boys they've let out the door have either not come on (look at the long list of Carlton's ex GWS players) or being let go because of injury and past there best (Scully and soon to be Patton).
Also can't discount Carlton being at least partly to blame for there ex GWS players not coming on.
Spot on. They trade off myth still GWS and do it very very well. I don't think any player is worth 2 x first rounders and they got it for Shiel.

If this was true the GWS medico/fitness staff wouldn’t have been asked to explain to their board how their Scully prognosis could be so wrong(after Hawthorn get him going early this season).

He is a bit like Clinton young at the moment but without quite the same metres gained as he isn't quite breaking the lines nor penetrating with long kicking. He is one dimensional and a bit brittle when caught with possession.

Like others the games this year have been a bonus and I hoping next year with a season at the club he can improve. Must say I am not all that confident he will however given how bad his injury was.

I'm surprise at the negativity. Remember this is a guy that many said might struggle to even get on the park this season. At time of the trade if you had been told that he would be playing by Rd17 you probably would have taken it, let alone have him play almost all year. We need to maybe temper the expectation a bit.

I'm surprise at the negativity.
Same here.

Where did this all come from?

he's exactly where I expected; if anything, moving better than we thought he might

Young people today. So impatient. Anything tht didn't happen in the last 5 seconds didn't happen. When oh when?...Tut tut

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We got him going early but I think it's been reported recently he's hardly training if it all and not back to 100%. Also has to be a fair bit of doubt as to whether he can ever get back to his best. But early days with the Hawks and he's super professional, let's back him in.

Man... you guys with the negativity...

He’s an ‘outside’ player.

Requires guys to win it, then he runs like f***, then guys get it to him. Notice that our guys aren’t winning it???

His game is to gut run, from back flank to forward flank, getting involved multiple times throughout - but that isn’t possible this year because we’re not maintaining possession & we don’t have possession chains above about 3 or in excess of 100m.

We’re kicking the ball 40m at a time, from contest to contest. We’re not winning contested ball & we’re sure AF not kicking from pack mark to pack mark...

If:
- we have a gruntier midfield of Mitchell, Worpel, JO’M, Wingard, Coniglio & Shiels (as opposed to JO’M, Worps & Shiela alone) then we’ll move the ball better from the contest, to the outside; &,
- we have the ball on the outside, then we’ll have half-forwards leading at the ball carrier/s; marking, then wheeling around & hitting up the next target.

That is how the ball is moved quickly: kick, mark, play on, kick, mark...

We do that & Scully is one of few players in the game (Whitfield, Hilly etc.) that can actually be involved multiple times in the same possession chain as he is one of the very few that can cover that distance at that pace & back it up for 110 minutes.

How many 4th rounders play every game at their new club? 😁😁

Personally, I am thrilled where Scully is at considering that many of us didn't expect to see him play until mid year.

For the bag of chips we paid, he has been a resounding success and I also expect him to be better again next year.

All year i have been surprised at the negativity towards him.

Going in to the year we had no idea if he was going to play a game and here we are over half way through the year and he has played almost every game.

On top of this if you look at our best transition play all year he is almost always involved in some way. His link up play off half back has been great and his ability to get dangerous going forward has been exciting to watch. We need to see more of it but that should always have been expected.

Look at the step up Jaeger has made each year since returning, look at Fyfe returning from his broken leg.

It is so rare to see a player miss an entire season and come back in anywhere near the best they can. I don't know if he can return to his 2016 type levels but i wouldn't rule it out and i am very sure that we will see an even more improved player next year.

Patience people!

Look at the improvement we have seen in guys like Henderson, Impey, O’meara and Worpel after a year in our system. Scully will be no different, especially considering the injury.

He hasn’t even been bad this year, but he will be better next year. Like all good things, it just takes time.

Gee, if people aren't happy with the Scully trade I hate to think how they're feeling about last year's trade and draft period. Wingard barely played, Scrimshaw barely a good block, that Minchington guy has barely played for BHFC, and don't get me started on those draftees.

I bet you its only going to get worse next year.

We're waaaaaaay ahead with this trade it's genuinely hilarious. Remember that when we got him he wasn't even expected to play any footy until after the bye - assuming he even got back at all!

He had a horrid injury and has managed to come back to play an amazing amount of games considering the original expectations. Not only playing games but putting up team leading numbers in the running and work rate stats. If we offered him back to GWS in exchange for the 4th rounder we gave them they would jump so high at that Olympic high jump records would be smashed.

How about we just be thankful for how lucky we've been to get this result SO FAR from trading A FUTURE 4TH ROUNDER. And let's see how much better his output can be after a full pre-season not in the rehab group. I reckon he'll surprise a few.

i dont think there is necessarily negativity about Scully just a tad of realism about his form given where his ceiling sits - noone is suggesting the trade isnt a massive success.

As with all other recruits, I expect a step up after he has been in the HFC structures for a couple of years and learned the systems. Clarko will also have a better feel for his capacity and maximize it accordingly in 2020.

i dont think there is necessarily negativity about Scully just a tad of realism about his form given where his ceiling sits - noone is suggesting the trade isnt a massive success.

Realism? He's just off a massive injury and hasn't even been able to train all year and still get up for games. This isn't realism, it's whinging because the half fit Scully that we have in the team 10 weeks earlier than expected after zero pre-season is only a better than average player.

Ridiculous stuff for mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back