Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn Tom Scully. Congratulations for finally making it onto an AFL list!

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I simply stated I think he's lacking a bit of punch in his kick, due to his injury, which he can hopefully regain with imo is one of the key aspects of his game that will allow him to get back to his 2016-17 form.

This year he's been able to get the ball in dangerous positions i.e. streaming through the corridor, and has just not been able to kick the ball deep enough into the forward line to give e.g. gunston or lewis a good 1 on 1 contest.

Wasn't having a go at him, simply stating I think he'll be able to do that next year and that will help us.

After I made that post, seems like the floodgates opened, sorry bout that lmao.

Sep 15, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
People seem to underestimate the seriousness of Scully's injury. The fact he got on the park so early in the season was amazing.
Sure every player will make a mistake and some will deserve some criticism at times. But I don't understand what people thought he was going to deliver in his first season at the Hawks coming in with an injury.

I think he has been more than serviceable this year in a new system. Plus, he is a typical Hawthorn mid that will run both ways. We don't do flashy mids that only run one way. People should better understand the unbelievable defensive work/cover he provides in transaition. This doesn't mean tackles, but runnign to cover opposition cheats that are standing 20 metres off the play hoping to run forward when their team wins the ball.

Ankle seems tip top. Has played 17 straight games.

When we traded for him some were saying his ankle was so in horrible shape. Our doctors must be magicians also
GWS doctors seem to be Quacks.

GWS doctors seem to be Quacks.
latest

"Bye bye, Tom, you'll probably never play again!"

Easy Slips Catch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 10, 2006
Fringe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Been too long between comments about Scully. His work rate has been insane & his ability to sprint defensively is better than any other mid/winger in the comp & by a long way.

Agree. Watched the replay and the number of times he forces the handbags to wait is fantastic. All match the commentators waffled on about their slow ball movement. None of them observant enough to see why. Never thought he was such a selfless player.

Agree. Watched the replay and the number of times he forces the handbags to wait is fantastic. All match the commentators waffled on about their slow ball movement. None of them observant enough to see why. Never thought he was such a selfless player.

Honestly that's the thing I always liked about him. His role is almost exclusively a "make the team better" role.

Stays on the ground for long periods without rotation, always on the move, always manning the mark and offering selfless running. I was excited when the season started because I thought we'd have Scully and Titch running around, as they're both such high workrate players and average 90% TOG as midfielders.

He will be so vital for us if the AFL continues down the path of limited rotations, as we'll be able to conserve our high impact players for when we need them.

Dec 27, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers
His kicking on the weekend was fantastic, the best I’ve seen from him so far with us.

Agree his kicking has improved out of sight recently.
He still seems to be only running in straight lines but as his ankle improves I think we will see him able to change direction quickly again.

Sep 22, 2008
Noosa
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Next year, Titch will benefit most from the improved aerobic capacity of Scully. Titch will be able to have a lower TOG as Scully will be increasing his TOG to similar numbers as he was at GWS prior to injury. It is a luxury to have someone like Scully, injury free, as was seen at GWS for 3 years when they were really looking like contending

Next year, Titch will benefit most from the improved aerobic capacity of Scully. Titch will be able to have a lower TOG as Scully will be increasing his TOG to similar numbers as he was at GWS prior to injury. It is a luxury to have someone like Scully, injury free, as was seen at GWS for 3 years when they were really looking like contending

And Brad Hill on the other wing :)

Mappa

Club Legend
Feb 27, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Bromwich Albion
What i under-rated about Scully, although I never really took that much notice of him, is the way he really has a crack physically. I figured he was just an outside winger, but he throws himself and loves to mix it up and tackle and bump. I think this goes under the radar a bit

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Best asset is his work-rate and it's not even close. He follows up his attack on the contest 5-6 times each time, does not stop running and always works to cover a player defensively or to work into free space offensively.

I'll give him till late September to win a Brownlow Medal otherwise GTFO, but only because he was a fourth round pick. Any round higher and he would've already been traded, using the 'Bruest with currency' model for premiership success. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Feb 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
DCowboys, ManU, Celtics, Blackhawks
Back