Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Tyler Brockman!

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm going to be a bit curmedgeon-like here...

I like what he does when he has the ball, but he has to get a bit harder, and a bit more desperate when he doesn't.

A few times in the last few weeks, it looked like he was stepping up pressure wise, but I wasn't massively impressed today.

I know he took his chances, for three goals, so it's an odd time to criticise him...but he could be an absolute jet if he worked on a couple of things.
Lead the team for pressure acts today, fitness is his biggest issue holding him back.

The negativity in here about an 18yr small forward who kicked 3 goals. Yikes.

9 of the top 10 players for pressure acts were Tigers today.

Guess who was number 7, and Hawthorn’s best ahead McEvoy and JOM?

Brocky doesn’t exactly need to be Hodge, Selwood or Jono Brown re attack on the ball. Still only young and has a taste for AFL footy to work with over the summer.

Super crafty already, manages to find little pockets of space.

Real smart with the ball in hand too - strikes me as one of those players who is clever enough to know what he’s gonna do (kick/handball and where) just as/before he gets the pill.

What a talent.

Had no right to even bring the ball to ground, let alone kick that first goal of his.

Super powerful, smooth, athletic and knows how to finish.

Not sure what anyone can complain about.

Kicks them, and his pressure acts lead directly to goals. They have for a couple of weeks now.

Going to be a lot of egg on faces by the time he gets to 50 games.

The negativity in here about an 18yr small forward who kicked 3 goals. Yikes.

9 of the top 10 players for pressure acts were Tigers today.

Guess who was number 7, and Hawthorn’s best ahead McEvoy and JOM?

Last edited:
I honestly can’t believe some of the criticism in here about his game today. What more could you possibly want from a first year small forward taken at pick 46?!

Three sublime goals and I thought his pressure was good. One of his goals came from a direct turnover that he created by putting on pressure.

I’ve been impressed by what I’ve seen and I’m really looking forward to his development over the next few years. I think he’ll be a real player.

It's easy to forget he's a first year player. A 3rd round pick as well.

Today would've been great for his confidence. He'll work hard in the gym in the offseason and hit 2022 hard in multiple senses.

I think some awareness on the intensity and fitness levels to play his position is needed, his a first year player actually doing well in patches. Showing talent

But he hasn’t had pre seasons to sustain intensity, but every game it gets a little better, is looking more and more likely to be a lock 22 every game. (Unbelievable for a pick in the third round)

And shows the reason why draft picks are not everything

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As has been said numerous times here already, he has shown some really promising signs. He knows where the goals are/isn't a bad set shot and is quite crafty with some good deft touches when the ball has hit the ground. On top of this, he seems to be a pretty steady set shot for goal and better than average at marking the ball overhead.

I think he already has a lot of the tools that can't necessarily be taught. They can obviously be refined but his natural ability to do some of these well at senior level already bodes well for his future. The things that he's lacking at the moment should come naturally with with his body maturing, a couple of preseasons and continued exposure to the game at the highest level (physical strength, speed, endurance, confidence, understanding his role and team gameplan... That sort of thing).

Anyway - I like him.

Some of the negativity in here is hilarious... Did people think the 3rd round pick was going to come in with a well rounded game? The defensive side of the ball is not all about effort, it also requires a certain fitness level. If he is doing the same things in 2-3 years i will join in but currently he is well ahead of where he should be in development.

Make no mistake, small forward in a bottom team as a young player is a bloody tough role. He had a great great first year and i am as high on him as i am just about any other young player on our list.

I know that he did not have Bruest and Moore to share the load on Saturday but let’s not sugar coat it, Brockman was very below average.

If TOB, Ceglar or Dan Howe put in that putrid of a performance, some on here would want them frog marched out of the country.

The kid has talent for sure but I hope to god Sammy tells him to pull his finger out and put in a 100% Effort next year, he just floats around at the moment content he is in the team.

Does he have a bit of an X factor, no doubt he does.

But Cyril had more X factor in his little finger but he also backed it up with incredible defensive pressure and work rate when he did not have the ball, that’s what Sammy has to drum into the kid.
Come one mate... You are comparing him to players on a list for 7+ years and one of the greatest small forwards of all time.

Start of my first year highlight collection for Brockman, very rough.

He's going to be fun to watch. Another year in the gym and getting his fitness up is the key. Would love to see how he goes in a couple of years as he builds that four quarter consistency that comes with experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back