Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Tyler Brockman!

Remove this Banner Ad

Reminds me more of Breust than Rioli.

IMO he will be a very smooth and classy small like Breust. He will prove to be a hard match up for smalls due to his 1v1 marking ability. I don't think he will ever be a pressure maniac like Rioli or Puopolo though.
Breust might just been the most underrated player for his pressure every part equal with Cyril and Poppy

Breust might just been the most underrated player for his pressure every part equal with Cyril and Poppy

Yeah he's been a great tackler throughout his career, he's averaging nearly 4 tackles per game. It's certainly an underappreciated aspect of his game.

Rioli and Puopolo were on another level though. They are renowned for being pressure machines.

Yeah he's been a great tackler throughout his career, he's averaging nearly 4 tackles per game. It's certainly an underappreciated aspect of his game.

Rioli and Puopolo were on another level though. They are renowned for being pressure machines.
Nope, Breust only average 2 less pressure points a game than Cyril across their careers. If Brockman can get to that level we will be very well placed. .

Reminds me more of Breust than Rioli.

IMO he will be a very smooth and classy small like Breust. He will prove to be a hard match up for smalls due to his 1v1 marking ability. I don't think he will ever be a pressure maniac like Rioli or Puopolo though.
Exactly what I thought when I was watching the clip. Goal sense. Finds space. Smooth mover. Poise. Knows when to go for goal or when to find a teammate. Oozes class. All Breust qualities. If he gets his fitness and 4 quarter effort up. Look out!

The plays that tell me what kind of player he could become were all so impressive:

1. The Geelong crumbing goal was clutch, under physical and scoreboard pressure at a critical point late in the game.
He wanted to take the pressure.

2. The bounce-back from the tackle on the run vs Melbourne, slid on the grass, bounced-up, composed himself and hit a target inside 50m.
So calm, classy and confident.

Same game: the pass to set up a goal when he was hemmed in on the boundary by the point post.
He received the ball while surrounded by defenders and he got the kick away just before he was slammed to the ground.
Took the heat, nailed the execution.

3. Banana from the boundary. Confident in his skills and executed to perfection.

One last thing: I have a very high regard for players, and especially forwards, who have the nous to win one on one marking contest primarily by using positioning rather than brute strength. Especially if they can do it without using their hands. Body work is a telling sign of football intelligence IMO.

How hard it is to apply manic pressure when you haven't even had one full pre season. Under Sammy he will thrive I reckon.
Keep out West coast and Freo.!!!

Players have been known to fumble the ball when Cyril was driving past to a Hawthorn game.
a Collingwood game a few years ago, Stratton was chasing someone around the wing, and not gaining any ground. He called out "get him Cyril" the guy fluffed the kick, kicked it straight to Birchall on his own, and Cyril was on the bench.

There's no one like Cyril, never will be so Brock needs to become his own player with whatever traits he has/learns in the next couple of years, no more comparisons for mine, the kid (he İS 18!) showed very good signs and it may not click for him for another couple of years as fitness, endurance and mostly game sense will take time to improve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no one like Cyril, never will be so Brock needs to become his own player with whatever traits he has/learns in the next couple of years, no more comparisons for mine, the kid (he İS 18!) showed very good signs and it may not click for him for another couple of years as fitness, endurance and mostly game sense will take time to improve.

I think he's much closer to a stronger version of Mark Williams, with more weight to throw around. Williams was a star, Brockman is going to be. Have really enjoyed watching him come along this past season. I reckon by the end of next season a lot more of the AFL world is going to know his name.

Kosi Pickett does a pretty good impersonation.

theiaofseed why are you disgaree reacting to a month-old post lmao

do pressure acts actually account for perceived pressure? Do you believe that perceived pressure isn't real? I'd like to hear what you disagree with
I think if you want to base a discussion around stats and when those stats don't match your feelings you resort to "perceived pressure" to back up your opinion you've enter looney town territory

I think if you want to base a discussion around stats and when those stats don't match your feelings you resort to "perceived pressure" to back up your opinion you've enter looney town territory

i don't have stats per se, but there's certainly vision that backs up the claim

the main one that comes to mind is this: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/694ae2d55d5225c9b1d09aff18c98a9b

I also remember Harry Taylor in the 08 GF. I'm sure there's heaps more examples from regular games that don't spring to memory.

Even if we do look at the stats, you said that Cyril had 2 points higher rating than Breust. So, the stats literally say that Cyril was better, even if only marginally

EDIT: oh and obviously Kurt Tippet still sleeps with the lights on after 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back