Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Tyler Brockman!

Remove this Banner Ad

Talent is only one component that recruiters look at. Desire, work ethic, , leadership ability, off field stuff etc have much more bearing on whether a talented player becomes successful in senior footy
This times xxxxxxxx infinity.

In my younger days I used to play competition snooker in a comp of about 80 A grade players and there were a dozen or more consistent 100 break players, so it was a tough high standard Comp.

There was a slightly younger bloke that had more natural ability in his little finger than I had in my whole body, he could knock in 60s 70s and 100 breaks in a flash and make it look effortless.

But I was always ranked higher and beat him many more times than he beat me, because I had a greater desire.

I worked and practiced for about 3/4 hours a day and he would rock up and just think he was going to win on pure talent, not just against me but even less talented players than I was.

There are a hell of a lot of people that are blessed with natural talent, but it only gets you so far.

Last edited:

i reckon he was referring to the highlights package part
I was referring to the pretending to know what you are talking about, highlights package or otherwise.

Gralin - Moderator

Bitchiness 18
Seems a little low I thought with all the work I'd put in this year I was at least an 18.3

You keep saying that but you have no idea what I have watched.

Maybe you should stop watching highlights packges and pretend you know what you are talking about.
You’re right I don’t know what you watched. You could be a recruiter and have watched all their games live and you still make a statement of fact which at least 2 clubs see differently. Do you know more than them? Doubt it.

Not having a go it’s an opinion forum, just not an opinion I agree with.

Also, you have no idea what I’ve watched or know, so pot kettle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If keeps his sh*t together he will be a star .
He has all the tools
It's easy to be excited by his pace, but the most exciting thing I saw in his short clip was his ability to take a contested mark.
When I see a guy use his position and body to fend off an opponent (instead of pushing with hands), and time the arrival of the ball to stick the mark, it signals a high level of football IQ to me. Gunston is a master at protecting the drop of the ball and so are most great forwards. This kid certainly has the package of skills to make something of himself.

It's easy to be excited by his pace, but the most exciting thing I saw in his short clip was his ability to take a contested mark.
When I see a guy use his position and body to fend off an opponent (instead of pushing with hands), and time the arrival of the ball to stick the mark, it signals a high level of football IQ to me. Gunston is a master at protecting the drop of the ball and so are most great forwards. This kid certainly has the package of skills to make something of himself.
Never mentioned his pace brother although that’s part of it .
Like you san can mark , has a step , can hit targets , has a long leg , high IQ , quick decesion maker .
aggresive .

Anyone got vision of Brockman ? All I saw in that video was footage of a young Peter Matera

Anyone got vision of Brockman ? All I saw in that video was footage of a young Peter Matera

giphy (1).gif

Seems pretty well developed - more so than Morris who got games this year. No reason why we couldn’t see him in the afl side in 2021 for a few games if he has a big preseason.

Duff and Quarters podcast 2020 Episode 58: 2020 DRAFT PREVIEW - Expert Jordan McArdle on top 5 picks, roughies, WA clubs' targets, mature aged picks & more

go to 22.50 mark
Some interesting comments there. Pretty excited with this pick.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back