Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Tyler Brockman!

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 1027566View attachment 1027567
I thought it was only official when it was in the jumper under the kanga statue
There was no mention of the Lion

Subiaco young gun Tyler Brockman credits uncle and ex-Fremantle Docker Greg Broughton

Jordan McArdle
The West Australian
Mon, 12 October 2020 5:00AM

WA draft prospect Tyler Brockman has credited his uncle, former Fremantle defender Greg Broughton, for helping with his early football development.

The explosive Subiaco forward-midfielder has been close with his uncle from a young age, with the ex-Docker and Gold Coast player teaching him how to kick.

The pair even played a couple of games of senior footy together when Brockman was just 14 years old, with Toodyay in the Mortlock league.

Broughton, a triple premiership player and Outridge medallist at Subiaco, was watching on proudly at Fremantle Community Bank Oval last week as Brockman won a WAFL colts flag.

He would’ve also been proud with his nephew’s efforts in the first of two under-18s All-Stars games at Leederville Oval on Saturday, with the 17-year-old having a massive say in WA Black’s 55-point thumping of WA Gold.

“He’s been there ever since I was like three or four and taught me how to kick the footy,” Brockman said.

“It was a dream come true. I always wanted to have a game with both of my uncles, Greg and Chad.

“It was great to get out there with them for a couple of games.

“I’m still a West Coast fan, I was going for Fremantle and Gold Coast at the time he was playing there but switched back after.”

Subiaco colts premiership coach Chayce Creedy said the talent has always there for Brockman, now the consistency has followed thanks to plenty of hard work.

Creedy backed the silky-skilled youngster to keep getting better if given an opportunity in an AFL environment.

But he is already reaping the rewards of his work. From a colts flag, to a state draft combine invite, WA under-18s berth and even a bit of interest from West Coast and Geelong.

“He had to lift his standards and how he’s going about it and he’s certainly done that,” Creedy said.

“He got to work during the COVID break and returned to training in the best physical condition I’ve seen him in the two-and-a-half years since I’ve known him.

WA Black’s Tyler Brockman kicks a goal out of mid-air despite pressure from WA Gold player Tyler Nesbitt.

WA Black’s Tyler Brockman kicks a goal out of mid-air despite pressure from WA Gold player Tyler Nesbitt. Credit: Jackson Flindell/The Sunday Times

“He’s seeing the rewards for his effort. If he gets his opportunity in the AFL, he will only get better.

“He impacts the game in both areas, on-ball or up forward. He’s a beautiful user of the ball, had got great vision and opens the games up.”

Brockman was one of the stars of the show on Saturday, booting a couple of goals and setting up a few others across half-forward.

He is one of those players that just oozes X-factor, with something exciting happening every time he gets near the ball.

“I felt more nervous coming into this game than the grand final because of all the recruiters watching and coming up against all of the best players,” Brockman said.

“It just pushes you harder to go at the footy. The first quarter was intense.”

WA Football Commission state talent manager Adam Jones felt Brockman had done his draft chances no harm with a big season.

“Tyler has had a really good year,” Jones said.

“He’s always had talent but it’s probably been the consistency and commitment off-field.

“Speaking with Chayce Creedy his Subiaco colts before the game and he felt Tyler has come leaps and bounds in that area and it’s starting to show in his football.”

Does anyone see this kid playing in the early rounds next year?
Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s there round 1.

Just need to see how his summer plays out.

i think the reason we got him is because of his development and age, he is one of the youngest players in the draft and had a good WA all stars series (at the end of the season)which put him on the map, his season for the Subiaco Colts was patchy, he has the basics like marking, tackling, x-factor, nice kick for goal, so can play mid and sml forw, i would think we're hoping he develops consistency and can play a role giving us some spark in mid or the forward line.

i saw him in the WAFL Colts grand final and wasnt too impressed with his overall game, except for one moment where he took a contested mark and kicked a 40m goal, but i think it was performing at the all stars game and the step up in quality that got him drafted in the end.

i think the reason we got him is because of his development and age, he is one of the youngest players in the draft and had a good WA all stars series (at the end of the season)which put him on the map, his season for the Subiaco Colts was patchy, he has the basics like marking, tackling, x-factor, nice kick for goal, so can play mid and sml forw, i would think we're hoping he develops consistency and can play a role giving us some spark in mid or the forward line.

i saw him in the WAFL Colts grand final and wasnt too impressed with his overall game, except for one moment where he took a contested mark and kicked a 40m goal, but i think it was performing at the all stars game and the step up in quality that got him drafted in the end.
What is the standard of WAFL Colts?

VFL reserves standard?

VFL reserves standard?

Hard to say. WAFL Colts isn't quite at the level of the TAC Cup, probably on par to the TAC Cup in the weeks where the U18 Carnival is happening. That means the best of the best aren't really in there because depending on position they'll probably be playing WAFL seniors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VFL reserves standard?

better than SANFL u18's, i mean i enjoy it because theres very little bad umpiring, very little stupid defensive tactics that bore the crap out of me at AFL level, but its not as tough and rough as state leagues, less physical and less overall skills, but the good players shine and some would play AFL if allowed like in the old days.

i dont think there are many in the VFL reserves that would walk into an AFL side and dominate like some of the top end talents in most drafts, so much better than that.

Does anyone see this kid playing in the early rounds next year?

Definitely. I don't think we will see Mitchell at all next year, but I feel Brockman is almost ready to go, with little competition for a small forward spot.

Really don’t understand the draft order when you pick up a talent like this so low, looking forward to seeing him ply his trade.

Like much in life it's subjective. Add to that each club has different needs/ideas and players are elevated (philips) or slide brockman, to say nothing of the fact that at this stage everyone has the 'potential' to be anything. It's not an exact science, I love for instance the good ordinary players who get so much out of themselves (brown, osborne ladson, shoey) more than the could have beens who have talent but lack drive.

I'm looking forward to watching tyler and co develop.

View attachment 1027566View attachment 1027567
Reminds me of a young Adem Yze

The only thing that is of concern is a Tim Kelly type situation.
That's easily fixed. It's called contraception.

Love it!!! Shy kid and has even said he is trying to become more confident , it shows in his football from what I've seen. If he can build his confidence and start demanding the ball on the field im certain we have serious player.
But, but..., Kane Cornes says there are "no players" at Hawthorn😂😂

But, but..., Kane Cornes says there are "no players" at Hawthorn😂😂
Forget the “no yoof” calls, now it’s “no players!!”. 🤪

Remove this Banner Ad

Back