Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Tyler Brockman!

Remove this Banner Ad

Very very early call, but I see a bit of home sickness/go home factor in this kid JUST from the interview. I just hope the culture at the club and the young boy taking time to settle in will erase this "enough". Just my gut feeling and he has just arrived, will have min 1-2 years to settle.

Very very early call, but I see a bit of home sickness/go home factor in this kid JUST from the interview. I just hope the culture at the club and the young boy taking time to settle in will erase this "enough". Just my gut feeling and he has just arrived, will have min 1-2 years to settle.

My thoughts , Indigenous boys are pretty reserved shy types of personalities to begin with until they get comfortable, but they also seem very grateful for the opportunity they're given . There is always a couple that go home but that is with any player. Jack Martin, cal achee , Charlie Cameron are all from WA yet decided not to return home as more recent examples. He already is posting stories on his instagram of him hanging out with kysaih pickett and toby Bedford from Melbourne.

2x 1sts... :shrug:

Re
Reading far to much into the blokes very first interview. All I see is someone who will thrive at the hawks/strong culture.

Maybe a bit pessimistic but i get a similar feeling... 2 years and we may be hit with a trade request.
It's not so much him, it's the complete contrast in Melbourne lifestyle and weather - as someone whos just moved back from Qld, it can be hard to deal with.

Maybe a bit pessimistic but i get a similar feeling... 2 years and we may be hit with a trade request.
It's not so much him, it's the complete contrast in Melbourne lifestyle and weather - as someone whos just moved back from Qld, it can be hard to deal with.
can see what you are saying but we might be reading too much into it. Imagine that you are shy and nervous (that's what I get here), got put on a plane and sent across the country and then had to do an interview. All in the middle of a pandemic.

Sometimes those that are most boisterous with their mates aren't that person outside of that group. With social media you get to see inside people's bubbles.

Not everyone is going to be a DGB (who reminds me so much of Roughie)

I am sure our other indigenous players in particular, and player welfare people will do their best to help Tyler settle in. However many young players would probably prefer to remain in their home city if they had a choice.
The reality is that professional footballers will learn to live wherever they have the greatest opportunity to ply their trade.

I am sure our other indigenous players in particular, and player welfare people will do their best to help Tyler settle in. However many young players would probably prefer to remain in their home city if they had a choice.
The reality is that professional footballers will learn to live wherever they have the greatest opportunity to ply their trade.
With Burgoyne accepting a part time advisory role with the clubs indigenous program next year and full time the following year he will be taking big interest in helping Tyler adjust to Melbourne and settle in a new environment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2020 can't end quick enough, things are just whack... one month into drafting a kid from WA, some are suggesting he may go home... wtf

To be perfectly honest, and I am not suggesting this was the intention from any poster, but this is exactly what casual racism is...

2020 can't end quick enough, things are just whack... one month into drafting a kid from WA, some are suggesting he may go home... wtf

To be perfectly honest, and I am not suggesting this was the intention from any poster, but this is exactly what casual racism is...

Casual racism because.. he's indigenous?

I think if there's a correlation between young indigenous players and a want to head home, someone's entitled to point that out.

The bombardment of political correctness that's permeating our society is in itself damaging.

Someone could be homesick and you jump to casual racism?!? Go and watch his interview. I think he is shy and nervous but can completely see how others can construe this as being homesick.

From personal experience, I left home and moved interstate when I was a few years older than Tyler, night before getting on the plane I was saying to my Mum that I didn't want to go and was nearly in tears over it.

And there is a certain three time premiership player being talked about as being the captain for 2021 that is a Hawk because he was homesick.

I think if there's a correlation between young indigenous players and a want to head home, someone's entitled to point that out.

The bombardment of political correctness that's permeating our society is in itself damaging.
I mean, the conversation has revolved solely around race, and has been fairly casual.

Has this been brought up in DGB's thread?

I mean, the conversation has revolved solely around race, and has been fairly casual.

Has this been brought up in DGB's thread?
People are going off the interviews. If Tyler presented in the same manner as DGB wouldn't be a discussion point.

I think you need to find out what racism actually means. What a laughable suggestion.

What is the correlation?

Also both Bailey Smith last year and Archie Perkins this year put it out to clubs that they would not leave Victoria - so it can't be just the indigenous kids who get homesick

Also both Bailey Smith last year and Archie Perkins this year put it out to clubs that they would not leave Victoria - so it can't be just the indigenous kids who get homesick
We can still claim racism though, right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back