News Welcome to Hawthorn: Zane Littlejohn

Remove this Banner Ad

A new development and Box Hill coach.
Has coached his own side to Back to Back flags, prior to joining the Lions and coaching their academy.

I think it's pretty obvious how important the first 1-2 years of this guy's new job is in terms of our AFL prospects over the next 8-10 years.

This is one we need to get right, and I hope we have! You can see exactly what they're going for with the background information they mentioned

• coached own side to b2b premierships
  • AFL development coach experience (at a side that there has been good development of players recently)
  • strengths are building relationships
  • former teacher

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know Zane from local footy in Tassie, was a very good player with lethal left boot then focused on coaching and has been very successful ever since in both Tassie (coaching multiple premierships) and then the Lions. Teaching background and perfect for our developing list.

Surely an upgrade on everyoneisamazing Andy Ottens and a new Box Hill coach, nice, wish him all the best and hope he does a good job next year.
Can’t give negative feedback to Gen Z

How else do you put the fear of God in them to motivate them to do better?

You can do that with some of them - you have to find other ways with others. This ‘you can’t do X with X generation’ is just simplistic nonsense. Generations aren’t hive minds - people all respond differently to different ways of being treated. Look at Hodgey recently saying the Clarko coaching approach made him a better person - other players probably hated it and wanted away from it.

Again, I get paid to tell people what they’ve done wrong, and there’s no one way to deliver that information, it’s all based on the individual you’re dealing with. I have people of all different cultural backgrounds, ages, genders etc - all of them differ on how they take criticism, how they respond to being judged/critiqued in the first place and how they apply the learnings/feedback. Everybody is different and footy players wouldn’t be any different - that should be the measure of a good coach these days in how they manage the different personalities.

You can do that with some of them - you have to find other ways with others. This ‘you can’t do X with X generation’ is just simplistic nonsense. Generations aren’t hive minds - people all respond differently to different ways of being treated. Look at Hodgey recently saying the Clarko coaching approach made him a better person - other players probably hated it and wanted away from it.

Again, I get paid to tell people what they’ve done wrong, and there’s no one way to deliver that information, it’s all based on the individual you’re dealing with. I have people of all different cultural backgrounds, ages, genders etc - all of them differ on how they take criticism, how they respond to being judged/critiqued in the first place and how they apply the learnings/feedback. Everybody is different and footy players wouldn’t be any different - that should be the measure of a good coach these days in how they manage the different personalities.
Surely in front of your peers like the below would go down well…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back