Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
dave chappelle comedy GIF

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You can do that with some of them - you have to find other ways with others. This ‘you can’t do X with X generation’ is just simplistic nonsense. Generations aren’t hive minds - people all respond differently to different ways of being treated. Look at Hodgey recently saying the Clarko coaching approach made him a better person - other players probably hated it and wanted away from it.

Again, I get paid to tell people what they’ve done wrong, and there’s no one way to deliver that information, it’s all based on the individual you’re dealing with. I have people of all different cultural backgrounds, ages, genders etc - all of them differ on how they take criticism, how they respond to being judged/critiqued in the first place and how they apply the learnings/feedback. Everybody is different and footy players wouldn’t be any different - that should be the measure of a good coach these days in how they manage the different personalities.

The idea of certain generations acting a certain way is absurd. Everyone has their own ideas, opinions, values ect. So to label and group individuals as the same is quite perplexing. I have worked with a lot of different people, from varying age groups, cultural backgrounds, genders, religious beliefs and sexual preferences. There is good and bad traits in everyone, so to label generations, sexuality, ethnic groups, religious beliefs or genders is quite prejudicial in its application. So I tend to agree with your assessment about What a good coach should be able to do. It’s no different to any sort of managerial role.

Sounds good.
I have heard this is now finalised.

My mate at the lions said "he is an elite person"

I will try and find out more about his work as a dev coach

Dipper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2000
London,England
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Allies FCC
Yup, I get paid to be like this - living the dream!
It's a beautiful thing to witness when someone's work is clearly their passion.

Don't undervalue your talent by giving too much of it away for free though.

There's definitely a few on here that have played you like a fiddle by posting ridiculous comments just to get some free negative feedback from a professional, don't play their game, shower them with praise next time...that'll learn them.

It's a beautiful thing to witness when someone's work is clearly their passion.

Don't undervalue your talent by giving too much of it away for free though.

There's definitely a few on here that have played you like a fiddle by posting ridiculous comments just to get some free negative feedback from a professional, don't play their game, shower them with praise next time...that'll learn them.

Great post!!!

Sounds good.
Bit more on Zane

• Came in as development coach in Fages first year
  • Moved to Academy due to covid cuts
  • Works harder and more enthusiastic than most of the AFL/VFL coaches at the Lions
  • Part of 3 NEAFL premierships
  • Lions playing group all love him. Has had a big impact on Big Os development

Sounds like he is quite driven and wants to get greater opportunities and exposure. Wouldn't surprise my friend if Zane puts himself in position to be part of the first coaching group for the Tassie team.

TassieGrown

All Australian
Aug 2, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Outstanding coach here in Tasmania, set up North Launceston for prolonged success. From memory won 2 flags and lost one in the 5 years in charge.

Great appointment

Gee wiz we found one here
Hopefully the industry, and supporters, are beginning to realise than those coaches who have to work their way into the AFL because they never played at the level are often better than those who played the game.

Ex-players who decide to coach get a free ride upon retirement because the AFLPA exerts pressure on clubs to give work opportunities to retiring players who have no other realistic employment prospects.

Hopefully the industry, and supporters, are beginning to realise than those coaches who have to work their way into the AFL because they never played at the level are often better than those who played the game.

Ex-players who decide to coach get a free ride upon retirement because the AFLPA exerts pressure on clubs to give work opportunities to retiring players who have no other realistic employment prospects.
All very well, but I don't think there has ever been a premiership coach who did not play VFL/AFL level.

All very well, but I don't think there has ever been a premiership coach who did not play VFL/AFL level.
Correct. However the way Australian Rules is played and coached has changed so significantly in the past 20 years it’s only a matter of time. It’s far more about sophisticated analysis, tactics, the ability to teach and communicate than in the 1950s - 1990s.

Until the 2000s no senior coach hadn’t played at the level. Since then we have had Neil Craig, Chris Fagan and Brendan Bolton who hadn’t played VFL / AFL.

Vince Lombardi is probably the greatest ever NFL coach. Stopped playing minor league at 25 and started coaching.

The way our game is evolving, the scope for talented coaches who weren’t elite players running football programs is increasing.

Rushed_Behind

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2009
Buying Giraffes!!!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think this bloke would be licking his lips considering what we’ve picked up last 2 drafts.

Although I’ve lost a bit of love for the game, I’m genuinely excited at what we can do as a club.

*I’ll always love this club though. Given me too much happiness to turn my back on them but Covid has messed my head up.

Feb 6, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Vince Lombardi is probably the greatest ever NFL coach. Stopped playing minor league at 25 and started coaching.
The yanks are so far ahead of us in how they develop coaches across all of their sports.

It's like how Sammy looks at elite traits in players and wants to develop those areas.

Back