Player Watch Charlie Dixon Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Charlie Dixon to play down back, adding to our number of defenders - helping out by spiking the ball to other defenders, who will spoil the spike to a running defender who kicks it down the line to Sam Gray, who goes for a trundle through 8 opposition players and kicks the most magnificent point you've ever seen from 15 metres out.

The only reason it's a disaster when Charlie drops the mark is because we have exactly zero genuine small forwards in our team who can actually capitalise from a ground ball situation.

Not just small forwards. Our complete inability to get front and centre of any marking contest is deplorable, all the while conceding half a dozen easy possessions to the opposition who are able to do that. Basic footy.

Schulz would have been an excellent foil for him. Delisting Schulz and Butcher at the same time was a huge mistake. We should have tried to squeeze one more season out of Schulz if the alternative was playing Trengove as a KPF all season.
Delisting Schulz & Butcher then not playing Eddy is very poor management.

Charlie Dixon to play down back, adding to our number of defenders - helping out by spiking the ball to other defenders, who will spoil the spike to a running defender who kicks it down the line to Sam Gray, who goes for a trundle through 8 opposition players and kicks the most magnificent point you've ever seen from 15 metres out.

It's called an overhead forward thrust smash m8.

When Charlie is having a shocking marking day I feel he should effectively ruck in the marking contest and knock the ball to specific areas to our small forwards advantage. And then I realise we don't play small forwards who know how to position themselves for crumbs.
With all due respect, you're having a bit of a laugh here, yeah?

Perfect example of what I was talking about. Mind you this was right in front of me and I could see he was pushing back with one hand but I couldn't see that he had his arm held.

upload_2017-8-14_19-14-54.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Howard was recovering from a knee. We started off playing Eddy but when we realised he wasn't fit enough we just played nobody.

Trying to squeeze a season out of Schulz was probably ideal, but even then you know i'll fight anyone to the death who tries to argue that Trengove has had a better season than Butcher would have had in the same role, even if Butcher had to ruck.

If Howard was fully fit, i'd have been fine with both of them being delisted, but we left ourselves a gaping hole that we haven't really filled at all and our forward structure has been s**t all year bar the 2nd half of the West Coast game at Subi.

I'm probably over-simplifying here but it was apparent in the game against Adelaide that whenever we hacked the ball forward from defence 3 Adelaide players were queued up unchecked to mark it and send it back in. So why is it so difficult to play a forward, especially a key forward who can sit behind the play and still provide a quick get out option? Do they all need to be elite 10,000m runners working from full forward to full back?

So for all this talk about Eddy not being fit enough (and I know you're not agreeing with that just recounting the issue that gets raised endlessly), is the game plan so intractable that we couldn't fit him into it with a slightly different role? All moot now of course.

Not giving Eddy a genuine chance to adapt to the level has been stupid but Schulz was cooked & Butcher please lol can barely get a kick at the ponderosa.

I don't think he was completely cooked. Kicked more goals in the second half of the year than Dixon. It was popular opinion here at the time he was rushed back too early after his injury, as Ports like to do with KPP since Ken hates giving opportunity to younger players of those positions.

Sent from mTalk

The only reason it's a disaster when Charlie drops the mark is because we have exactly zero genuine small forwards in our team who can actually capitalise from a ground ball situation.
When FOUR of our smalls conspired not to score from ten metres out, I lost my faith in the team.

If we can't score in that situation, then what is the point of so small a forward line.

Not giving Eddy a genuine chance to adapt to the level has been stupid but Schulz was cooked & Butcher please lol can barely get a kick at the ponderosa.

Turned on the tv on Saturday to see Centrals rampaging all over Norwood at the Parade. It was raining goals. Poor old Butch didn't even trouble the scorers.

When FOUR of our smalls conspired not to score from ten metres out, I lost my faith in the team.

If we can't score in that situation, then what is the point of so small a forward line.
Bloody LIM's.

Turned on the tv on Saturday to see Centrals rampaging all over Norwood at the Parade. It was raining goals. Poor old Butch didn't even trouble the scorers.

He doesn't even look like Butch any more. Haircut, clean shaven. I think he's sending a lookalike and collecting the cheque.

Jack Hannath can roost the ball a fair way just by the by.

He doesn't even look like Butch any more. Haircut, clean shaven. I think he's sending a lookalike and collecting the cheque.

Jack Hannath can roost the ball a fair way just by the by.
Probably because he's got a day job ;)
Noticed he looked very business-like in Shanghai.

Bump. Amazing what happens when you play a legitimate tall alongside him who can also add a bit of defensive pressure like he does, the way he was clunking those marks in the final quarter was immediate inducing.

Would be great to see Big Dix fire up in September, reckon he'd be keen as hell to play in a home final.

I still reckon that if we had persevered this year with Eddy playing deep and Dixon doing his thing at CHF, we would have had a better H&A season.

Dixon was tremendous today, much as he was when the game was on the line against WCE. It's a joy to watch his clean marking at the highest possible point, way above opposition hands. Thing of beauty.

Bump. Amazing what happens when you play a legitimate tall alongside him who can also add a bit of defensive pressure like he does, the way he was clunking those marks in the final quarter was immediate inducing.

Would be great to see Big Dix fire up in September, reckon he'd be keen as hell to play in a home final.
So you think that it was truly because of Marshall's presence that Dixon did so well?

So you think that it was truly because of Marshall's presence that Dixon did so well?
Not so much his presence but just having another tall down there who's sole goal wasn't to act as a decoy, it's not what he did but Marshall plays like a forward compared to Jacko who's admitted to not being suited for the role but plays it for the team.

Dix has had similar games to that against West Coast where he's taken the game by the scruff of the neck but for the most part even when Jacko was alongside him he got double & triple teamed far too often.

I also agree with PJ that had they given Eddy enough of a crack we'd have won more of the close games we lost earlier in the year if only for freeing Dixon up to have a few more commanding games like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back