Player Watch Charlie Dixon Part 2

After buddy is this guy the best atm?
Josh Kennedy is the most reliable KPF in the game. He has missed 5 games and will win the Coleman tomorrow. Buddy is an athletic freak, and has some freakish skills, but he is unreliable and barely takes a mark above his head the last few years.

Apr 7, 2013
Burn City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Josh Kennedy is the most reliable KPF in the game. He has missed 5 games and will win the Coleman tomorrow. Buddy is an athletic freak, and has some freakish skills, but he is unreliable and barely takes a mark above his head the last few years.
Buddy!! Unreliable!!!! Have you lost the plot

Ben Brown is in the discussion for top 3 kpf too

Ben Brown is living proof that the theory that guys like Lockett, Dunstall, etc, wouldn't have survived in this era of footy is BS. Such a limited skill set (run in a straight line, mark, kick the footy straight) but so bloody effective at what he does. Would be nice to have both him and Big Dix!

Buddy!! Unreliable!!!! Have you lost the plot
Whats his goalkicking like in big games and finals like?

What did he and how did he kick for goal in the 2012 GF? What did he kick in the 2016 GF?

He was on over $1mil in 2015 and went missing for the second half of the season.

He kicked 2.8 in his first game against the Hawks. He kicked 2.7 against us at Footy Park when we were crap around 2009 and cost the Hawks the game. He kicked 0.6 against Essendon when he was dominating the game early this year and if not for a Brendan Goddard's * up Essendon would have won the game. These are the ones I remember of the top of my head. You can't rely on him to take an over head mark when on a lead even though he gets in front position. He has had 3 or 4 years where his goal conversion has been barely over 50%. That's not reliable. Tony Locket and Jason Dunstall were reliable KPF's. Buddy is a freak and he will do the freaky thing but he makes a lot of elementary mistakes for someone as gifted as he is and paid as well as he is. Yes you can rely on him doing something freaky.

Would you trust him to have a shot for you to kick a goal after the siren to win a big game on a relatively simple angle? I wouldn't, but I'd trust him to kick it from an impossible angle.

What did he and how did he kick for goal in the 2012 GF? What did he kick in the 2016 GF?

He was on over $1mil in 2015 and went missing for the second half of the season.

He kicked 2.8 in his first game against the Hawks. He kicked 2.7 against us at Footy Park when we were crap around 2009 and cost the Hawks the game. He kicked 0.6 against Essendon when he was dominating the game early this year and if not for a Brendan Goddard's **** up Essendon would have won the game. These are the ones I remember of the top of my head. You can't rely on him to take an over head mark when on a lead even though he gets in front position. He has had 3 or 4 years where his goal conversion has been barely over 50%. That's not reliable. Tony Locket and Jason Dunstall were reliable KPF's. Buddy is a freak and he will do the freaky thing but he makes a lot of elementary mistakes for someone as gifted as he is and paid as well as he is. Yes you can rely on him doing something freaky.

Would you trust him to have a shot for you to kick a goal after the siren to win a big game on a relatively simple angle? I wouldn't, but I'd trust him to kick it from an impossible angle.

Alyx

Unbelievably Disconnected
Feb 17, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
c9ehZIq.jpg

HinkleysHeroes

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Gold! All he obviously needed was a move to a REAL club with REAL culture and REAL community spirit that made him feel welcome and that he belonged. Good for you EADe getting rid of the bad influence, you are the true definition of old campaigner.
I forgot about them saying they got rid of the bad influences. Maybe they should have moved Ablett on instead.

Dixon seems to have a massive passion for the game and loves being involved in a team.

pip_

Team Captain
Feb 18, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Any news on his ankle? He came off limping with a few minutes to go.

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Any news on his ankle? He came off limping with a few minutes to go.

Was that even a limp? Looked to have taken a bit of a knock and didn't require any assistance getting off. Could have even been a slight corky.

I reckon we jump at shadows a bit re his ankles. In two seasons with us he's been in the thick of everything, clunking contested marks, working up the ground, carrying opponents on his back, and sharing some of the ruck work. I think all his ankles needed was some care from someone not Stephen Schwerdt.

Was that even a limp? Looked to have taken a bit of a knock and didn't require any assistance getting off. Could have even been a slight corky.

I reckon we jump at shadows a bit re his ankles. In two seasons with us he's been in the thick of everything, clunking contested marks, working up the ground, carrying opponents on his back, and sharing some of the ruck work. I think all his ankles needed was some care from someone not Stephen Schwerdt.

It was an ankle. He said as much after the game, but he was fine. He said "my ankles do that from time to time."

Looked fine after the game too. No limp. I reckon he would have come back on, possibly not even come off the ground in other circumstances.

Gold! All he obviously needed was a move to a REAL club with REAL culture and REAL community spirit that made him feel welcome and that he belonged. Good for you EADe getting rid of the bad influence, you are the true definition of old campaigner.

While I'm all for calling Eade an old campaigner, don't fall for their revisionist history spin.

They didn't 'get rid of him'. He walked out on them. Their media spin team spent the next month saying they never wanted him anyway while stalking his Facebook page and eating ice cream out of the tub.

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
His best season with 46.24 although in his final season with the Suns he scored 41.15 from 16 games so did better on average. Finished this year 1 goal behind Robbie Gray and is in 10th place on the goalkicking list. The next on the list who is still to play is Cale Hooker who has 41 so Charlie should stay 10th.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_goal_kickers

Apr 7, 2013
Burn City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Pretty good. Has had many bags in finals over his career including 4 in a GF belting in 2014. For recent form comparison vs JJK I looked at their last five finals played. Kennedy kicked 8 goals (avg 1.6), while Buddy kicked 16 (avg 3.2).

Kennedy's record in grand finals is one game where he kicked 0 (zero) goals and got the ball nine times.

Why does pay check factor into the on field reliability of a forward? Getting more money doesn't improve your performance, it's the other way around.

At any rate he was out with a mental illness struggle. That has nothing to do with on field reliability. If you want to go down that route, Kennedy himself has had injury problems that have kept him out of the team over his career.

He kicked 2.8 in his first game against the Hawks. He kicked 2.7 against us at Footy Park when we were crap around 2009 and cost the Hawks the game. He kicked 0.6 against Essendon when he was dominating the game early this year and if not for a Brendan Goddard's **** up Essendon would have won the game. These are the ones I remember of the top of my head. You can't rely on him to take an over head mark when on a lead even though he gets in front position. He has had 3 or 4 years where his goal conversion has been barely over 50%. That's not reliable. Tony Locket and Jason Dunstall were reliable KPF's. Buddy is a freak and he will do the freaky thing but he makes a lot of elementary mistakes for someone as gifted as he is and paid as well as he is. Yes you can rely on him doing something freaky.

Set shots aren't the be all and end all for a KPF to perform and impact the game, particularly when you put up numbers regardless of the misses.

You wouldn't mind taking the 2008 model Buddy who averaged over three behinds a game. It doesn't matter if you miss a lot if you can make up for it by scoring heaps of goals as well, which Buddy has done his whole career. 9 leading goal kicker years, six All-Aus, and 3 Colemans doesn't bring to mind the word unreliable.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Every sane football coach, player and supporter would give their left, right and dare I say also their appendage in the centre to have Buddy in their team in September.

That said I a very eager to see Dixon make his mark on finals football, seems the perfect kind of stage for him to thrive on.

Back