Player Watch Jason Horne-Francis - You were always one of us

Remove this Banner Ad

North Melbourne supporters. All 10 of them.

Tantrum Crying GIF

Did it affect his trade value??
I hope he ends up 100% of course.

Port paid two firsts for him so I doubt it affected his trade value. People are bored this time of year so it's getting massively blown out of proportion.

It's normal for players to play the season with injury and get it fixed at season's end. No big deal far as I'm concerned.

Has it been diagnosed as popliteal artery entrapment syndrome or is that just the prevailing theory? From what I've briefly read that's a calf surgery issue, what if it's Chronic exertional compartment syndrome?
Its very simple to determine which of the syndromes he has. Jason suffers from compression of the arteries in the back of his knees ... The artery in the back of your knee that passes through the calf is called the Popliteal artery, and a blockage of this is called Popliteal artery entrapment syndrome (PAES).

Chronic exertional compartment syndrome (CECS) is a different issue in that it occurs intra-muscle, with swelling cutting off the supply of nourishment & oxygen to nerve cells in the compartment. It is just a totally different beast to what JHF is suffering from.

Its very simple to determine which of the syndromes he has. Jason suffers from compression of the arteries in the back of his knees ... The artery in the back of your knee that passes through the calf is called the Popliteal artery, and a blockage of this is called Popliteal artery entrapment syndrome (PAES).

Chronic exertional compartment syndrome (CECS) is a different issue in that it occurs intra-muscle, with swelling cutting off the supply of nourishment & oxygen to nerve cells in the compartment. It is just a totally different beast to what JHF is suffering from.
They present very similarly. there's actually a few things it could have been from what I can see. Until there's a medical update with the pathology I'm not sure it's as simple as copying into google a few words from a news article and clicking on the first condition that pops up.

If diagnosing a condition were that easy we wouldn't need second opinions from medical experts imo

Also please do not use the word 'nourishment'

It makes me think of David noble and I'd rather not
consideration of the advised options as to how to treat the issue, we decided it was best for Jason’s health, and ongoing football performance, that he have the surgery now to release the pressure on the arteries and restore normal blood flow to his lower legs
If it is indeed PAES and therefore surgery is the only option to consider, it makes me wonder why your doc portrays it as one of a few choices available.

If it is indeed PAES and therefore surgery is the only option to consider, it makes me wonder why your doc portrays it as one of a few choices available.
All options have to be considered but when the non-surgical intervention would likely need to be repeated throughout every year of his career and no intervention will not resolve his symptoms, surgery probably appears the best course of action.

There's not going to be any dull moments with Jason. In a year I saw him do some of the most stunning things I've ever seen a player do in a North jumper, both good and bad.

I bear him no personal ill will. Along with some others, I sponsored the kid, met him a couple of times, he's a nice young man.

But he's got a great deal going on, much of which will likely play itself out over his career.

If you think simply getting him back home changes things, or it was all because of us, you're kidding yourselves, but that will become apparent, indeed already is.

He reminds me of Gary Ablett Snr ...

Out of interest. And a question I haven’t seen a north fan answer - why didn’t your recruiting network pick up he was not going to adapt well to moving interstate. I can guarantee it was well known by certain people at south.

Also - why didn’t these ‘behaviours’ play out at south Adelaide ….. and if they did why did you recruit him ?

Thought it was interesting JHF was introduced in a joint presser with Chris Davies.

Davies is by far Port's best, most assertive and most skilled media performer and he was clearly there to protect the young man from a media pile.

We have shown we can help troubled young players develop as people: SPP's growth shows that and I suspect Jason will face his own challenges as he matures in the media spotlight.

They present very similarly. there's actually a few things it could have been from what I can see. Until there's a medical update with the pathology I'm not sure it's as simple as copying into google a few words from a news article and clicking on the first condition that pops up.

If diagnosing a condition were that easy we wouldn't need second opinions from medical experts imo

Also please do not use the word 'nourishment'

It makes me think of David noble and I'd rather not

Are you a Vascular Surgeon and is JHF your patient? If no, everything you say is supposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No matter which way you look at it, North have had all season with JHF to diagnose the issue. They've failed to do it. More importantly as the season came towards it's end they didn't pick up the pace of diagnosing, and get him to the point of surgery asap so he'd be ready for a full pre-season with them.

To now know that our doctors have been working with him for 3-4 weeks and have diagnosed his condition and got him in for surgery, is just a poor reflection on whatever is going on down at North.

Everyone makes mistakes, even doctors, so this isn't a North specific thing, but the clear level of negligence, when it comes to the persistence of their investigations, is clear as day. A first missed diagnosis, a few fruitless investigations and some failed minor treatments is one thing, but months without diagnosis and then a clear lack of urgency post season is glaring.

I think we knew it was always a risk but backed ourselves in.

It's a bit confusing in thst the spin a few weeks ago was that some of this stuff was already known at Siuth Adelaide and we should have ad well re his not being great at following up stuff,attention to detail.

I suspect stuff that could be dismissed at South Adelaide became unforgivable at an AFL club.

You have to remember at the same time Jason was doing this stuff, Ben Cunnington was working his guts out to return from cancer.

Jason's antics played really poorly in that regard.

I always knew he'd go home, but thought it would be after 8 years or so, say at 26 when he could still have another full career at Port.

The bigger question is why guys like Clarkson and Viney who have been around footy a zillion years were prepared to let him go rather than back themselves in.

Good luck to Jason at Port. He appears to have decided, and very early on (in about May this year) his career that Port is the only place he can play his best footy.

See my take is your club probably did know he was a huge go home risk, but given you were going to miss out on Daicos (as an example) didnt want to be seen overlooking the other #1 pick contender, and backed the notion that he'd get to Melbourne and find his feet over the year. Additionallygiven I knew before the draft of the info re go home factor I do wonder if he was trying to put on a brave face ahead of the draft with the club coming and visiting, being in front of cameras etc.

Ive flicked back (periodically) through you JHF thread and there were no significant issues being talked about early in the season, and his form looked pretty good (some of his AFL highlights are elite for a first year player). My summation is as the homesickness kicked in, and with all the things that were going badly there (ie big losses etc) that he got more and more frustrated on field and things snowballed.
And if anyone 'in the club' was carrying on the same way as the likes of David King (who I have zero time for), or Zurhaar (if hes serious, given his own consideration of a move) then things were only made worse.
If this injury was actually impacting him I can see that also building up frustration.

I think we knew it was always a risk but backed ourselves in.

It's a bit confusing in thst the spin a few weeks ago was that some of this stuff was already known at Siuth Adelaide and we should have ad well re his not being great at following up stuff,attention to detail.

I suspect stuff that could be dismissed at South Adelaide became unforgivable at an AFL club.

You have to remember at the same time Jason was doing this stuff, Ben Cunnington was working his guts out to return from cancer.

Jason's antics played really poorly in that regard.

I always knew he'd go home, but thought it would be after 8 years or so, say at 26 when he could still have another full career at Port.

The bigger question is why guys like Clarkson and Viney who have been around footy a zillion years were prepared to let him go rather than back themselves in.

Good luck to Jason at Port. He appears to have decided, and very early on (in about May this year) his career that Port is the only place he can play his best footy.

Is this the stuff they "dismissed" at South?

Sounds terrible.

“But to question his character and things around that space, I don’t agree with that.”

“He’s one of the most competitive players I’ve ever seen and some of that competitiveness we’ve seen come out on the footy field,”

“For people out there questioning his character, he’s a really good kid.

“Away from the footy field, he’s actually very humble, he’s very polite, very well-mannered and very respectful.

“That’s what I can share with you on his character.”

Bryce Gibbs

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back