Player Watch Willie Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey Port fans, congrats on a great day of trading. Seems a lot of supporters don’t rate Junior and I thought I’d like to dispel a lot of misconceptions around his game. Rioli’s stats don’t jump off the page, especially this season but not many small forwards playing in a historically bad side with 2 years off footy have great statistical seasons. You’re getting great impact per possession, smart flicks with the footy but the most underrated part of his game is setting blocks for the likes of JK and Darling. I think Marshall and Dixon will get a lot cleaner run at the footy with Rioli in there, without Rioli’s block on Maynard there’s no Sheed from the boundary (yes I know it could’ve been called a free kick against him). Rioli in my opinion was a top 10 player on our list or at least very close to it in 18/19 (in 2018 he was 10th in our BnF) I would be shocked if he wasn’t B22 on any team next season. Rioli was put the centre for the last centre bounce of the 18’ GF which I think speaks volumes for how he’s rated internally. Rioli has been called lazy and unfit throughout his career by oppo fans and eagles fans. This season the whole team was unfit but Rioli has never been lazy. In 18/19 when he had good fitness he did a ton of unrewarded running and was in top 5 for distance ran in numerous games. Paying 650k for 4 years may seem excessive for a player with his history but it’s for good reason with the quality he brings, I hope Port fans enjoy having Rioli on their team as much as I enjoyed having him as an eagle.

Hey Port fans, congrats on a great day of trading. Seems a lot of supporters don’t rate Junior and I thought I’d like to dispel a lot of misconceptions around his game. Rioli’s stats don’t jump off the page, especially this season but not many small forwards playing in a historically bad side with 2 years off footy have great statistical seasons. You’re getting great impact per possession, smart flicks with the footy but the most underrated part of his game is setting blocks for the likes of JK and Darling. I think Marshall and Dixon will get a lot cleaner run at the footy with Rioli in there, without Rioli’s block on Maynard there’s no Sheed from the boundary (yes I know it could’ve been called a free kick against him). Rioli in my opinion was a top 10 player on our list or at least very close to it in 18/19 (in 2018 he was 10th in our BnF) I would be shocked if he wasn’t B22 on any team next season. Rioli was put the centre for the last centre bounce of the 18’ GF which I think speaks volumes for how he’s rated internally. Rioli has been called lazy and unfit throughout his career by oppo fans and eagles fans. This season the whole team was unfit but Rioli has never been lazy. In 18/19 when he had good fitness he did a ton of unrewarded running and was in top 5 for distance ran in numerous games. Paying 650k for 4 years may seem excessive for a player with his history but it’s for good reason with the quality he brings, I hope Port fans enjoy having Rioli on their team as much as I enjoyed having him as an eagle.
I am sure we will ... Thanks. I agree with you, he is just such a typical indigenous, freaky, talent. Some here are wary of getting him because of his recent history, but then, that is why we got him cheaply. I hope for Port's sake he achieves his potential, but just as importantly, I hope it for him and his family!

Paying 650k for 4 years may seem excessive for a player with his history but it’s for good reason with the quality he brings, I hope Port fans enjoy having Rioli on their team as much as I enjoyed having him as an eagle.
We aren't. $650k was for 1st year only if he walked to the PSD to scare off other clubs. Its always been $500k x 4 years equivalent.

Very good pick up. His skills are elite, and think he fills a massive hole/need in our list. Hoping coming back home brings out the best in him. Very happy we got the deal for him done, even though it's been a bit lost in the Horne-Francis hoopla.

Very good trade period for us so far.

Welcome Junior. I’ve been screaming out for a player of your skills and goal sense for years and now we have two. It’s great also, that the club with the best record for helping First Nations players thrive finally gets to add the great Rioli name to its history to go with the names like Wanganeen, Cockatoo-Collins, Bond, Pickett, Burgoyne, Warrior, Wingard, Francis and Motlop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While im not 100% sold, if we can get 22 games a year combined between he and Fantasia ill take it as a win. We really missed a crafty small forward with goal sense. Fantasia and Rioli together is just a bonus
Damn, will be bloody exciting if we can get both of those boys on the park together consistently

Training up in Darwin according to CD.

I'm expecting Junior to be really committed to his footy in his time at Port. He has the responsibility of providing for his family now and can do that through football.

He has unique talent and not just doing the flashy play, he rolls the sleeves up to win the ball back as well.

I would be sending Shaun up there just to make sure he is commiting.

I can’t believe what Junior said.

“Yous”

Already talking like Kenny Coke Zero.

Attachments

• 65775621-8476-4D80-A9CE-CD820A8711DA.jpeg
    65775621-8476-4D80-A9CE-CD820A8711DA.jpeg
    350.4 KB · Views: 151
He plus on edge, just the body as hard as he hits the ball and does plenty for his team mates. Those that don’t rate him just have not seen enough of him, is genuine quality and could be as influential as Choppy was for his 55 games!

He gives us something we couldn’t get from SPP and Jones, Polish. And adds something we couldn’t get out of Fantasia, Hard nosed physical impact. It’s going to be one hell of a tough Half Forward line if SPP, Dixon/Georgiadies, Rioli and JHF are rotating through there.

This allows us to play Butters and Rozee on ball permanently and probably allows us to Manage Boak through the Back end of his career far better. It wouldn’t surprise me if Boak played 16 games a season for the next 4 years.

I think Dyl Williams becomes really important as a longer term prospect, hopefully another preseason and he is THAT much fitter again. He can take the reigns from Fantasia/Rioli when injured/suspended because it is bound to happen throughout the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back