Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Just on Mitchell talking about not playing for the Subi seniors this season just completed, there was a post last night I read on either the Freo or WCE board, that said that Subiaco had seriously contemplated playing him in the finals of the A grade even though he didn't even play a game in any grade, before September.

Jojay

PISS BLASTERS "RS"
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Was interesting observing the various club’s rooms during the draft.
Crows looked to be sweating profusely and totally confused.
Ports looked pretty chilled and in control.
And one of the clubs, I can’t remember which one, seemed to have about 30 people in their room.
Agree. Parks looked completely in control and at the top of his game... the only thing that was struggling was his polo shirt... 😂

In all honesty though, we've had some quality list management staff over the journey 👏👏

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
And one of the clubs, I can’t remember which one, seemed to have about 30 people in their room.
It was funny the Indian the mathematic was telling Reid what to do they dumb foundered lol

Just on Mitchell talking about not playing for the Subi seniors this season just completed, there was a post last night I read on either the Freo or WCE board, that said that Subiaco had seriously contemplated playing him in the finals of the A grade even though he didn't even play a game in any grade, before September.

His club side, Subiaco, is another team who have been mightily impressed by his recovery and his work ethic throughout his year on the sidelines. So much so they even contemplated handing him a senior WAFL debut for this year's preliminary final.

It would have been a remarkable return, given his last game for the club – almost exactly a year ago to the date – was in a thrilling two-point Grand Final win over Swan Districts to help the side to the WAFL Colts premiership.

However, according to those close to him, the comeback game was a step too far.

"I was very close," Georgiades said.

"The Subiaco coach actually came up and said there was potentially a spot for me in the preliminary final that week, if I was available.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-11-26/class-of-2019-mitch-georgiades

His club side, Subiaco, is another team who have been mightily impressed by his recovery and his work ethic throughout his year on the sidelines. So much so they even contemplated handing him a senior WAFL debut for this year's preliminary final.

It would have been a remarkable return, given his last game for the club – almost exactly a year ago to the date – was in a thrilling two-point Grand Final win over Swan Districts to help the side to the WAFL Colts premiership.

However, according to those close to him, the comeback game was a step too far.

"I was very close," Georgiades said.

"The Subiaco coach actually came up and said there was potentially a spot for me in the preliminary final that week, if I was available.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-11-26/class-of-2019-mitch-georgiades
About a minute after I read that I thought, hang on Subi finished first by 3 or 4 or game margin, and I'm sure they won the 2nd semi. Looked up the WAFL results and sure enough, week 1 they have the bye, week 2 they win 2nd semi easily and then straight through to the GF. IIRC someone on the Freo or WCE board said Subi contemplated picking him for the GF.

About a minute after I read that I thought, hang on Subi finished first by 3 or 4 or game margin, and I'm sure they won the 2nd semi. Looked up the WAFL results and sure enough, week 1 they have the bye, week 2 they win 2nd semi easily and then straight through to the GF. IIRC someone on the Freo or WCE board said Subi contemplated picking him for the GF.

Pretty sure one of his coaches said he is humble. ;)

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Would be interesting to know how much input Brett Anderson had into our draft this year.

From Mitchell's Presser. The old man is one wise fella. The cliche is take it one week at a time but it's really a quarter at time and a contest at a time.

GEORGIADES IS FOCUSED AND DETERMINED
“I just focused on what I could do, rather than what I couldn’t,” Georgiades said of his mindset during a year on the sidelines. “If the boys were training, I’d be swimming.” Georgiades - a 192cm forward - did not play a game in 2019 because of a badly corked thigh that bled into the muscle and required three surgeries. But he surrounded himself with “some pretty good people” and took things one step at a time and never dropped his head, traits instilled in him by father John who played 15 games for the Western Bulldogs.

“One contest at a time, one quarter at a time, one game on a time,” Georgiades said of his dad’s advice. “If something doesn’t quite go your way, don’t drop your head and that works in all facets of life. “He just drove that through me at a young age and that’s what I tell myself during games.”

The 18-year-old confirmed he is back to 100 per cent fitness after taking part in his first session.

AND HE MIGHT BE MORE THAN JUST A MARKING FORWARD
As evident by his bottom-age year in 2018, Georgiades’ potential as an athletic, strong-marking forward is huge. But the ability to win the ball on the ground is the side of his game that is developing. During a half-ground ball-movement drill that was part of the extended warm-up on Monday, a long kick to the contest was spoiled by co-captain Tom Jonas. The smalls were around but it was Georgiades who swooped, taking the ball cleanly and handballing on the up as the drill switched in the other direction. It was only a glimpse – and yes it’s only the morning of his first official day at the club – but it’s a start.

“To be clean in the air and on the ground, it’s obviously a big part of today’s game,” Georgiades said. “I’ve been working on that a lot through the year while I wasn’t playing. “It’s something I need to get a bit better at, especially if I want to play in that higher role.” As a forward, Georgiades is athletic and versatile, but “playing a little bit of midfield time” is something which might be discussed further in the future.

Both Mitchell and Jake are very happy to be at the club.

Big things are happening at Ports.
I am looking forward to the day a draftee tells the media it is an absolute nightmare to have been drafted here. Look a bit upset initially, sure.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
From Mitchell's Presser. The old man is one wise fella. The cliche is take it one week at a time but it's really a quarter at time and a contest at a time.

GEORGIADES IS FOCUSED AND DETERMINED
“I just focused on what I could do, rather than what I couldn’t,” Georgiades said of his mindset during a year on the sidelines. “If the boys were training, I’d be swimming.” Georgiades - a 192cm forward - did not play a game in 2019 because of a badly corked thigh that bled into the muscle and required three surgeries. But he surrounded himself with “some pretty good people” and took things one step at a time and never dropped his head, traits instilled in him by father John who played 15 games for the Western Bulldogs.

“One contest at a time, one quarter at a time, one game on a time,” Georgiades said of his dad’s advice. “If something doesn’t quite go your way, don’t drop your head and that works in all facets of life. “He just drove that through me at a young age and that’s what I tell myself during games.”

The 18-year-old confirmed he is back to 100 per cent fitness after taking part in his first session.

AND HE MIGHT BE MORE THAN JUST A MARKING FORWARD
As evident by his bottom-age year in 2018, Georgiades’ potential as an athletic, strong-marking forward is huge. But the ability to win the ball on the ground is the side of his game that is developing. During a half-ground ball-movement drill that was part of the extended warm-up on Monday, a long kick to the contest was spoiled by co-captain Tom Jonas. The smalls were around but it was Georgiades who swooped, taking the ball cleanly and handballing on the up as the drill switched in the other direction. It was only a glimpse – and yes it’s only the morning of his first official day at the club – but it’s a start.

“To be clean in the air and on the ground, it’s obviously a big part of today’s game,” Georgiades said. “I’ve been working on that a lot through the year while I wasn’t playing. “It’s something I need to get a bit better at, especially if I want to play in that higher role.” As a forward, Georgiades is athletic and versatile, but “playing a little bit of midfield time” is something which might be discussed further in the future.

Geez! Mitch and Todd could be quite a tandem. Two >1.9m smalls?!

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Apart from the Futures game curtain raiser to the 2018 AFL grand final where Mitch got his "innocuous" corky, the 2018 WAFL Colts grand final was his last game. Nothing stands out in the memory for Mitch's game - I remember watching it to see how Taj Schofield would go.

Subi won a very even tussle by two points - I remember their coach (who took over the league side from Schoey this year) coming under some criticism for putting players behind the ball in the last quarter, which isn't the done thing in the Colts, but it was a grand final ffs and winners are grinners. I see Jake Pasini was playing for Swan Districts that day - I wonder if he played on Mitch, ****ed if I can remember!

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Yeah this was reported at the time, Subi had one of their medium forwards suspended for the semi and he seemed a logical replacement. Beau Wardman took over from Schofield and was his coach in the colts the year before.

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 2.30.13 am.png

Apart from the Futures game curtain raiser to the 2018 AFL grand final where Mitch got his "innocuous" corky, the 2018 WAFL Colts grand final was his last game. Nothing stands out in the memory for Mitch's game - I remember watching it to see how Taj Schofield would go.

Subi won a very even tussle by two points - I remember their coach (who took over the league side from Schoey this year) coming under some criticism for putting players behind the ball in the last quarter, which isn't the done thing in the Colts, but it was a grand final ffs and winners are grinners. I see Jake Pasini was playing for Swan Districts that day - I wonder if he played on Mitch, f’ed if I can remember!

Yeah was a great contest, don't recall him being as prominent as Subi's other key forward Jack Mayo who was a year older than him and is now also on a list at St Kilda but pretty sure he kicked a goal or two though from memory. Can't recall if Pasini played on him either, but Swans also had another very highly touted defender who is actually draft eligible next year - Denver Grainger-Barras.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Really like the lsst 4 sentnces in John Townsend's article.
Wish our players had that competetiveness instead of hiding their heads under a cabbage plant when expectation confronts them.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I am looking forward to the day a draftee tells the media it is an absolute nightmare to have been drafted here. Look a bit upset initially, sure.
Just at any club in general. ‘Yeah, <club> was at the bottom of my list of where I wanted to end up, but I’m stuck in this shithole now’.

Yeah this was reported at the time, Subi had one of their medium forwards suspended for the semi and he seemed a logical replacement. Beau Wardman took over from Schofield and was his coach in the colts the year before.

View attachment 788309

Yeah was a great contest, don't recall him being as prominent as Subi's other key forward Jack Mayo who was a year older than him and is now also on a list at St Kilda but pretty sure he kicked a goal or two though from memory. Can't recall if Pasini played on him either, but Swans also had another very highly touted defender who is actually draft eligible next year - Denver Grainger-Barras.
That story you quoted says that the WAFC had a say in whether he played or not. Is that accurate? Has that ever happened before with any other 17 or 18 year old the last 10-15 years?

bringbackbucky

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
That story you quoted says that the WAFC had a say in whether he played or not. Is that accurate? Has that ever happened before with any other 17 or 18 year old the last 10-15 years?
I stopped at that bit that as well. Made me wonder whether the same thing would ever happen in SA - putting a kids future before a SANFL club. I think we all know the answer...

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other reports quoting him, mention it was his manager and parents that made the call. Interesting to find out which one is correct!

Back