Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

That story you quoted says that the WAFC had a say in whether he played or not. Is that accurate? Has that ever happened before with any other 17 or 18 year old the last 10-15 years?

That was the upshot of the big shake-up in WA footy a couple of years ago - the WAFC have much more control over the talent pathways. WA winning the U16 and U18 champs in the past two years and the number of WA being drafted is seen as vindication of the new set-up.

Mitch said in that interview yesterday that he talked it over with the WA talent manager and his parents and decided that it would be best if he didn't play for Subi and just concentrated on the draft combine.

Last edited:
That was the upshot of the big shake-up in WA footy a couple of years ago - the WAFC have much more control over the talent pathways. WA winning the U16 and U18 champs in the past two years and the number of WA being drafted is seen as vindication of the new set-up.

Mitch said in that interview yesterday that he talked it over with the WA talent manager and his parents and decided that it would be best if he didn't play for Subi and just concentrated on the draft combine.
That rings a bell, although never followed it closely.

Sounds a bit like what SA did with Brenton Phillips about 8 years ago. Phillips was appointed U/18 coach in 2007 I think, then the U17 and U/19 merged after the 2008 season, to be an U/18 comp, as SA wanted to improve their results at U/18 champs as they hadn't won since Russell Ebert coached in 1995 when it was Teal Cup and U/17's.

After another 2 or 3 or 4 years, Phillips suggested that a squad be picked at the end of the year and regularly train together and up grade resources for U/18 squad. Winning the 2013 and 2014 national U/18 titles justified that.

But when only 6 players were picked in the 2016 draft, a couple in the 20's and the rest in the 40's, 50's and 60's, the SANFL decided to move Phillips on after the 2017 championships. Ex Magpie Tony Bamford was appointed coach and SA won the 2018 championships.

But unlike the WAFC, the SANFL hasn't taken over complete control and whilst they have a say in kids availability for their club side in the lead up to national championships, they don't have a say after the championships.

Last edited:

That story you quoted says that the WAFC had a say in whether he played or not. Is that accurate? Has that ever happened before with any other 17 or 18 year old the last 10-15 years?

Yeah it's not exactly clear whether he was strictly "forbid" to not play, I'd say the most likely scenario was the chat between Mick Ablett (who was on the coverage on draft night who was most keen on our move for him), Georgiades and his parents reassessed the situation in encouraging him not to take the risk of playing his first game in 12 months debuting in a league final coming off zero match practice.

Ablett was brought across to implement those changes (which included the zones rule that was the centre of the controversy of Subi's close win over Pasini's Swans in 2018). It certainly has not stopped or reduced underage kids playing senior footy and on the evidence we're seeing more kids drafted so while I'm usually pretty hesitant on Cricket Australia type moves that compromise genuine and realistic competition - things seem to be doing well under the new system.

Sorry to butt in but have known Mitch since he was a young fella. My son went to school with him. Mitch dominated school footy although missed 2019 with his injury. He played for Hale School in the PSA – Hale has been the strongest footy school in WAs PSA comp for last decade and Mitch has been coached over the last few years by Jason Norrish and Brad Wira. He will be a gun for you guys. Was hoping he might slide under the radar a bit with the injury he had and WC may have been a chance to get him. But Scofield would have been all over Mitch and am sure would have been a strong advocate for him.

Nothing confirmed, but heard from a source at the club that Mitch has done a shoulder injury (AC joint). Anyone else heard something? Haven't seen anything from the club.
I guess we watch the photos coming out of the camp at Lake Kawana on the Sunshine Coast. If he is missing in all the photos then your source is correct.

I guess we watch the photos coming out of the camp at Lake Kawana on the Sunshine Coast. If he is missing in all the photos then your source is correct.
Yep, that's sort of why I asked. I heard a couple of days ago, and haven't seen him in the Sunshine Coast footage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am looking forward to the day a draftee tells the media it is an absolute nightmare to have been drafted here. Look a bit upset initially, sure.

"Am I happy? What do you think mate I'm the best ******* player under 18 in the country and I'm gonna have my career destroyed and develop a drug habit with a basketcase up on the gold coast. Knew I should have tanked the bloody combine."

-Matt Rowell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back