Sam Mayes

Remove this Banner Ad

Congrats Mayesy, have a good first game for Port. At least you can't say the ground is unfamiliar. ;)

Just got a notification from the club, Sam has been selected in final 22 for Sunnday's game.

Will probably play across half back rather than wing as I can't see Amon and X-man playing elsewhere for too long.

Great example of persistence.

Had a bloody good preseason in 2019, was stiff not to play Rd 1, we had a good run of 2 wins and a close loss to Brisbane, was playing very well for Magpies, was in the BP's, but after being made emergency 4 or 5 weeks in a row it started to affect him I reckon, as his form for Magpies dropped away.

Given no B grade games this year and limited training in those mandated groups of 8 and 9 by the AFL, and that we have been winning, good effort to squeeze his way in.

Hope he has a huge game and makes selection next Thursday a bloody big headache.

Last edited:

Gets credited with an SANFL and AFL game to his tally in 1 day.

17 disposals and a goal in 3 quarters of footy.

13 at SANFL level in 2 quarters then 4 + a very important goal in 1 quarter at AFL level.

He was a top 10 pick as a junior on the strength of his play as a half forward, but we've never given him a proper go in that position at AFL level. Maybe we should. He was fantastic today.

Gets credited with an SANFL and AFL game to his tally in 1 day.

17 disposals and a goal in 3 quarters of footy.

13 at SANFL level in 2 quarters then 4 + a very important goal in 1 quarter at AFL level.

Honestly. Pretty incredible. To stay mentally switched on and locked in enough to do what he did given all the twists and turns of his day.

As much as I loved Drew’s game, Mayes has gotta wear the bars at training this week.

Good luck Maysey - Sam won't stop running on Sunday; his kicks will hit targets and his ball handling will be sure. Not a champion but a bloody good footballer.

Nearly a year late with this reply, but wasn't it Mayes2Gray for the winner in this very game?

He was a top 10 pick as a junior on the strength of his play as a half forward, but we've never given him a proper go in that position at AFL level. Maybe we should. He was fantastic today.

Exactly this. He is a half forward/mid who averaged close to 20 & 1 in his first years in the league, only for injury and coaching to shunt him into some weird back hybrid flank/wing role on the fat side. Play him to his strengths and all of a sudden we have that pick 8 back on our list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just play him at half forward for 2 or 3 consecutive games. Dylan Williams isnt ready.

If we dont have Robbie, Zak and Raz available, give Sam a go to play in his natural position.

With his form as a genuine mid in the sanfl Sam is banging hard on the door for selection.

He lacks a bit of pace to be a wing/flanker in the AFL but deserves a shot as a centre square clearance mid. Gets the hard ball and dishes off and runs good patterns as the receiver.

Sorry for the intrusion, just on this particular point I have and will always maintain that Mayes career at the Lions went downhill when Voss and the coaching staff became obsessed with making him a half back flanker. He was always a natural half forward/wing time and sending him back just took away his enjoyment of the game.

With his form as a genuine mid in the sanfl Sam is banging hard on the door for selection.

He lacks a bit of pace to be a wing/flanker in the AFL but deserves a shot as a centre square clearance mid. Gets the hard ball and dishes off and runs good patterns as the receiver.
Agree with this. He plays as inside mid or drops tothe Maggies. Nothing in between.

Our coaches pigeon hole players into positions they are unsuited for so often. Infuriating.

I tender the following:
Boak - high forward ffs. He's a midfielder.
Bonner - defender. Spare me!
Neade - KPF?? What the ......?
S Gray - permanent forward pocket. Another pure mid.
And that's not an exhaustive list.

Killed so many player's careers. Play blokes where they belong, not where you want to plug a space on the field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back