Garibaldi Red

Cancelled
Bring Back the Bars
Jul 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest

Here’s a snippet of the story. Goes on to talk about his brother and his admiration of him.

57F0AC97-2C74-46FF-AFFE-AE9B4B3A024E.jpeg

HinkleysHeroes

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I thought everyone wants a fast player on the wing? He isn't fast but has great endurance.

He needs to slot into the middle. I'm hopefully he can find form again and if Ebo cannot find his then Mayes should slot in.

Last edited:

Nemisis

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I thought everyone wants a fast player on the wing? He isn't fast but has great endurance.

He needs to slot into the middle. I'm hopefully he can find form again and if Ebo cannot find his then Mayes should slot in.
20m Sprint - 2.95 secs is not that slow!

Why couldn't he get games at Brisbane?

You mean apart from the 101 games he played and finishing in the top 5 in their 2017 best and fairest?

There was talk of personal issues last year which saw him add only 6 games to his tally. He is pleased to be back home with the support of family.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You mean apart from the 101 games he played and finishing in the top 5 in their 2017 best and fairest?

There was talk of personal issues last year which saw him add only 6 games to his tally. He is pleased to be back home with the support of family.

Wines has played 129 games over the same period so Sam isn’t too far off the pace.

Ford, half this board wants Rockliff delisted after an All-Australian selection and two B&F's at Brisbane because of one poor year, so not surprised it's too much to ask people to see past one poor year from Mayes.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
Ford, half this board wants Rockliff delisted after an All-Australian selection and two B&F's at Brisbane because of one poor year, so not surprised it's too much to ask people to see past one poor year from Mayes.

His 2017 was s**t as well.

Rockliff has started the decline and it is insanely obvious why. He is as slow as they come, and he has no outstanding trait to combat that. I hope he finds a way to be useful, and contribute as we need him to, but he should be playing SANFL if we're serious.

Pendlebury makes space when there is none, Mitchell could turn on a dime and hit targets left and right.

Rockliffs strength was to be the hit to player for the Lions, win the ball at the clearance and then link up Kane Cornes like around the ground. He isn't the #1 hit to player here, more like #3 at best and as such he looks lost in the midfield. Additionally his incredibly slow pace is starting to get caught out on the outside. Worse still he has tried to play forward twice and both times has been legitimately embarrassed with his lack of pace clearly being a massive hindrance.

People can say that we're picking on him after 1 year, but they're being ignorant of the fact it's now a couple years of decline with ridiculously obvious reasons why, and no obvious solutions for them on the horizon.

Here’s the club article

Uh oh ... ;)

“It was interesting because my partner Cass was working with Red Bull Holden with Craig Lowndes, Jamie Whincup, Shane van Gisbergen and his favourite driver since he was a little kid was Craig Lowndes so for the last year and a bit he’s been able to meet them and get photos and stuff so he’s been in his element.”

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Nailed it. Kind of felt the club stalled his development under the Leppa era when he was moved to the half back flank.

Had a really good 2017 and looked like he was about to take the next step. Plenty of personal issues this year and he is very much a confidence player. He’ll come on leaps and bounds now I think.

Favourite opposition player now. Wish nothing for the best for Sammy and so does everyone at the club.

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
I'm getting more and more excited about Mayes. He was very high on my draft board in 2012. He was a half forward then with the potential to get into the guts one day.

Hopefully he won't be a half back at Port. We've had some mixed success when we have recruited former top 10 draft picks- Primus, Polec- very successful; Toumpas a fail; Watts, Trengove- jury out. Can't think of others. One will pay off in spades eventually and it could be Sam- perfect age profile, done very well at AFL level in a poor side in an unfamiliar position. He can kick, has pace, can run all day and I'm sure he can win his own ball when required.

All the dots are there. Hopefully when we join them up, we will see that we have an A-Grader who can be a match winner and maybe the bargain pick up of 2018.

Back