Sam Mayes

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah? I didnt hear that at all! One reporter want to know did he approach Port, or did Port come to him, and he just fobbed him off with 'it was handled by the managers.' Fair enough too. He was always wanting to come back home, and the only other club would be Adelaide, but they were not in the picture.

Don't you recognise a like farm when you see it?

An early mid season review: where is Sam Mayes at?

He seemed around the mark preseason but can’t get a look in even with our current injury list. Now we’ve signed a slightly older and certainly less skillful version. Are his cards marked? Or was he never more than the salary cap dump that got Neale to Brisbane and Rozee to Port?

An early mid season review: where is Sam Mayes at?

He seemed around the mark preseason but can’t get a look in even with our current injury list. Now we’ve signed a slightly older and certainly less skillful version. Are his cards marked? Or was he never more than the salary cap dump that got Neale to Brisbane and Rozee to Port?
His pre-season game vs South was his best game, if he stayed at that standard or even got better, he'd be in the side. But he's not showing us that extra gear.

I thought he looked really composed in the preseason. Very strange that he can’t get a look in particularly given how s**t our forward line has been.

My only guess is he was meant to play on the wing but Amon and Duursma moved ahead of him, and we didn’t want to drop Willem Drew to bring him in.

Thought he was a strange recruitment at the time. Genuine steak knives sort of thing. Vanilla player, doesn't fill a need. Right age for our list but that's about it. Not surprised that he hasn't made an appearance at AFL level yet.

Thought he was a strange recruitment at the time. Genuine steak knives sort of thing. Vanilla player, doesn't fill a need. Right age for our list but that's about it. Not surprised that he hasn't made an appearance at AFL level yet.

Fair point, but the kids in Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Drew, Farrell and so forth stepping up immediately is not something that should've been taken for granted. And could still well prove a useful acquisition if he can break into the side at some point this year either through banging the door down or presenting more than one of those younger and inexperienced lads as they potentially tire heading into the back end of the season.

Any reason why he can't get a look in ahead of S. Gray or Motlop?

Any reason why he can't get a look in ahead of S. Gray or Motlop?
Doesn't have the workrate of SGray or the talent level of Motlop. Has been good without standing out in the SANFL.

Having said that, how Motlop has stuck in the team after a ******* shocking last three weeks is baffling.

Doesn't have the workrate of SGray or the talent level of Motlop. Has been good without standing out in the SANFL.

Having said that, how Motlop has stuck in the team after a ******* shocking last three weeks is baffling.

Might come in for Farrell then... on the balance of workrate and finishing skills. How's his "blend of speed and endurance" looking ?

</ducks head>

Gotta feel a bit bad for Sammy. Would've been earmarked for a spot on the wing in our best 22 before Amon and Duursma delivered way beyond anyone's expectations. A handy backup player to have though considering how little depth with have in that role otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone confirm whether or not Mayes is out of contract at the end of the year? Footywire says yes, Fox Sports says no.
His Lions contract expires at the end of this year, but I can't find any info on whether we offered him another year on top as part of the trade. I assume we would have, but can't confirm.

This has turned out to be our most pointless pickup ever
More than Simon Phillips? If so, then that puts our current recruiting/list management guys in some poor light.

I reckon he was stiff not to get a game if the first 3 weeks when he was playing well in the SANFL.

Mayes finished top 5 in Brisbane's B&F in 2017. I was hoping he would get some game time on a wing or HFF at some point this year to see how he goes, hopefully he can get a crack next year

I reckon he was penciled in for one of the wings, but Duursma and Amon have performed way above expectations and kept him out.

You'd think he could've gotten a go at some point given than Amon missed a chunk of footy through injury, Motlop has sucked all year, Sam Gray has been his usual mediocre self for the last few months, Cam Sutcliffe is still a thing etc.

We gave Jimmy Toumpas 10 games FFS. Not sure what Mayes has done wrong to be so far on the outer. He was a handy player for all but his last year at Brisbane.

More than Simon Phillips? If so, then that puts our current recruiting/list management guys in some poor light.

I reckon he was stiff not to get a game if the first 3 weeks when he was playing well in the SANFL.

Didn't we get Phillips as part of a complex Nathan Krakouer to Gold Coast deal? As I remember we basically gave Kakouer away and somehow inherited Phillips who did nothing.

Phillips played 9 games for us for 8 losses, of course they might not have all been his fault. Yeah, good pick REH when I think of bad deals I think of Simon Phillips.

Mayes finished top 5 in Brisbane's B&F in 2017. I was hoping he would get some game time on a wing or HFF at some point this year to see how he goes, hopefully he can get a crack next year
Unfortunately for Sam he just isn’t the type that we need to give a go. Delist and try again.

Paying his salary got Neale to Brisbane and Rozee to Port so not a total write off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back