Player Watch Trent McKenzie

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm thinking we don't need to keep all four of Garner, Broadbent, McKenzie or Lienert on our list next year. Garner is the one who nobody would argue with staying due to his age and potential. The other three is where it gets tricky.

Broadbent got more gametime at AFL level than the other two but his performances were average and he's had physical and mental health issues all year. McKenzie would've been 99.9% delist a month ago but his end to the season at both AFL and SANFL level has been excellent, and if he's finally managed to get his body right he's probably the most naturally talented of the three. Lienert is a bit younger, taller and more athletic than the other two but doesn't have the defensive nous or the experience that they do. Could go either way. Or Ports being Ports we might just re-sign all three of them.

I'm thinking we don't need to keep all four of Garner, Broadbent, McKenzie or Lienert on our list next year. Garner is the one who nobody would argue with staying due to his age and potential. The other three is where it gets tricky.

Broadbent got more gametime at AFL level than the other two but his performances were average and he's had physical and mental health issues all year. McKenzie would've been 99.9% delist a month ago but his end to the season at both AFL and SANFL level has been excellent, and if he's finally managed to get his body right he's probably the most naturally talented of the three. Lienert is a bit younger, taller and more athletic than the other two but doesn't have the defensive nous or the experience that they do. Could go either way. Or Ports being Ports we might just re-sign all three of them.
Yeah good Post....

I am think unfortunately Broady out.... Mak is worth 1 more punt, the other 2 have both shown something tough call indeed

Lienert is contracted so won't be going anywhere, so we can scrub his name from the list of potential delistees.

I don't think we need to get rid of any though personally. We just dont need to do a massive list turnover anymore. Instead of having 11 list changes again this year we should be aiming for more like 6-8.

If we were to anticipate changes you'd have ryder and gray out, Hewett, trengove, johnson and sutcliffe as the first 6 out the door. That means we really dont need to delist any of these half backs if we dont want to.

Trent is a great kick, solid size, seems to command that SANFL backline well and has a good understanding of footy. His footy for the magpies has been really solid this year.

He is also too slow, injury prone and lacks versatility.

Maybe he or Jack get retained as rookies/made SANFL captain but he shouldn’t be on the main list next year.

Why does a player HAVE to be versatile to be on the main list. If they command another position and free up a versatile player that's just as valuable, but even so it's not a requirement to be on the main list.

I hate the 'too slow' mantra being applied to players that have other standout attributes, and I don't even have to hint at what McKenzie's is.

Players can get there body right, even if only for a season or two. If McKenzie does, he is worth perservering with.

The add to rookie list suggestion has some merit given our policy of not maintaining a full list, but I don't like the idea of getting rid of him.

He hasn't fallen off a cliff in terms of his own performance, its just that others have surpassed him.

Burton being traded in, Howard's and Bonner's improvement, Hartlett and Broadbent back from long term injuries. Doesn't leave any room for him when you have Jonas as captain, Clurey and DBJ having fantastic years and Houston payed the first half in the backline. Watts only played 2 games but a fully fit Watts at HBF/CHB makes it even harder for him to get a game. He played when we had up to 8 injuries to best 22 between Rd 7 to 13, which is his job as a depth player on the rookie list. Mckenzie jumped over him in the SANFL, mainly due to Mckenzie getting his body right, rather than Lienert being poor.

Bonner showed improvement the week he kicked 3 goals. Was there any other time he showed improvement this year? Not sure you could say Howard played enough in defence to say he improved there.

Very impressed with McKenzie in the last 3 weeks

He is very much the general in our defence.

I know his weapon is his kick but his reading of the play and his intercept marking is also top notch. Had our backlines totally under control in both SANFL finals to date

I like what i see. Give him another year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bonner showed improvement the week he kicked 3 goals. Was there any other time he showed improvement this year? Not sure you could say Howard played enough in defence to say he improved there.
Bonner played 19 games. The coach saw plenty of improvement otherwise he would have dropped him more than just the once after rd 7 game for 3 weeks.

Ho many games did Howard play outside of the defence this year? He took more intercept marks this year rather than just spoil the ball.

McKenzie is the perfect third defender for our team. We really lacked a third tall when we dropped Howard. His kicking is insane and I feel so comfortable when he has ball in hand. He looks to have really turned a corner and is so confident in himself now. He is now taking a heap of intercept marks and racking up the disposals.

If he stays fit, he should play every game next year. He is an immense talent who hasn’t been able to get his body right.

Do not underestimate the importance of being able to launch the ball 70-80 meters out of the defence. Completely clearing the zone and relieving a heap of pressure. Taking the majority of the kick ins instead of Bonner is also a huge win.

Bonner played 19 games. The coach saw plenty of improvement otherwise he would have dropped him more than just the once after rd 7 game for 3 weeks.

Ho many games did Howard play outside of the defence this year? He took more intercept marks this year rather than just spoil the ball.

relying on Hinkley's selection policy, particularly in regard to running defenders, to back up your assertion that Bonner improved is suspect at least.

bonners stat's were identical to the year before. He was piss weak at the contest, his decision making and execution were woeful. But we must have at least one fleet of foot defender. Even if he makes a bee line directly to a swarm of opposition players when he runs.

I think Howard would have been a better defender this year. But I don't think you can say he definitely improved given the amount of time he played there. That didn't keep Lienert out of the team. In fact Hinkley's treatment of howard this year probably gave Lienert more opportunity.

McKenzie is the perfect third defender for our team. We really lacked a third tall when we dropped Howard. His kicking is insane and I feel so comfortable when he has ball in hand. He looks to have really turned a corner and is so confident in himself now. He is now taking a heap of intercept marks and racking up the disposals.

If he stays fit, he should play every game next year. He is an immense talent who hasn’t been able to get his body right.

Do not underestimate the importance of being able to launch the ball 70-80 meters out of the defence. Completely clearing the zone and relieving a heap of pressure. Taking the majority of the kick ins instead of Bonner is also a huge win.
He's been good for pretty much the last couple of months since he finally got some continuity of game time. Those clearing kicks are a godsend and I can hardly remember him missing a target. As long as he doesn't get ruined by stupid selections where he ends up standing oversized opponents, I think he's got a fair bit to offer...I'm on board.

We kicked a quick end to end goal yesterday because of his thumping kick
Such a simple goal too, a refreshing change from 50 chip kicks around the backline to nowhere or 50 handballs and then a turnover inside 50.

Such a simple goal too, a refreshing change from 50 chip kicks around the backline to nowhere or 50 handballs and then a turnover inside 50.
I reckon a few more games in the Hinkley system should fix that.

I'm shocked at how easy Port have been able to manipulate their set up to make him the spare man back there, Crows at least tried to stop it but Glenelg didn't appear to make any moved to prevent it

The Age reporting Trent has signed on for 2020.
I am quite OK with that! he had a consistent season that got better and better ... he showed a hell of a lot more than a clutch of players in the regular Power squad.

At worst he is good depth & provides a needed mature head in the Magpies ... At best he can nail down a spot in the Power

I am quite OK with that! he had a consistent season that got better and better ... he showed a hell of a lot more than a clutch of players in the regular Power squad.

At worst he is good depth & provides aneeded mature head in the Magpies ... At best he can nail down a spot in the Power

Except in the Grand Final when he didn't provide his usual rebound because unlike the previous game they actually put a modicum of attention into stopping him, and he lost pretty much every one-on-one he was involved in.

I really like the idea of Trent McKenzie as a footballer. Unfortunately the reality isn't up to it. His defensive work isn't good enough for AFL level and he's too slow to play anywhere else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back