Player Watch Trent McKenzie

Remove this Banner Ad

Its the biggest turn around i can remember of one of our players. Deserves a new deal

Massive turnaround but i think Amon has him beat there.

The biggest surprise about Trent is that he seems so comfortable playing one out in an open defensive 50. The 1v1 spoil he did vs Kennedy earlier this year would have earned the late Spud's golden fist of the week for sure.

Josh Mahoney 3 years in the VFL and then a 2004 premiership medal is a pretty big turn around in a player's career.

4th club as well wasn't it?

Edit: 3rd club. 67 games all up. Got the most out his talent.

Edit x2: Maybe he was listed at a 4th club but didn't play? not sure.

4th club as well wasn't it?

Edit: 3rd club. 67 games all up. Got the most out his talent.

Edit x2: Maybe he was listed at a 4th club but didn't play? not sure.
Nah was only listed by 3 clubs. Think Choco told him we would pick him up in 2002 national draft/2003 preseason draft but it took 12 more months before we drafted him. He ended up at Port at end of 2007 season then Dean Bailey snapped him up as forwards coach for Melbourne straight away.

His 2 years at Bulldogs was 7 games then 4, then 3 years in the VFL, so 11 games in 5 seasons before he established himself in Port's best 22.

McKenzie has gone 7 + 7 games last 2 years at GC and then 1 + 1 first 2 years at Port so 16 games in 4 seasons before he established himself in Port's best 22.

Well done Trent, didn't think you would get past 2018, but played bloody well in the SANFL in 2019 and was a rock for our young defenders and helped win several games. He has just kept improving in 2020.

Only one complaint, mix up your kick ins, they have become too predictable.

Almost guarantee that if he is kicking in from the northern goals he will land the ball in the centre square NW corner maybe 10m back and 10m inside that corner looking for Charlie. If it's the southern goals it will be the SE centre square corner looking for Charlie. Was going straight down the middle looking for Charlie first 5 or 6 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought he would get the gig on Hawkins and for the most part he did really well. With the exception on maybe 2 shots, the rest of Hawkins' marks were well wide on the boundary. If he is able to make those shots I'll tip my hat to him.

McKenzie played on Kennedy earlier this year, and despite at times he was a bit overmatched, he did some amazing 1 on 1 contested work in that game against Kennedy. Despite not being a brute strength type of defender, McKenzie seems to have enough functional strength that he can handle the bigger bulls in the forward line, whilst also keeping them accountable to him in terms of rebounding out of our defensive 50.

Honestly, didn't have his best game last night. Did a better job of not letting Hawkins get over the back than Clurey did, but still really only escaped having a bag kicked on him due to inaccuracy. Also IIRC it was his fumbled mark that led to Danger's goal.

Was worried when he walked out with a glove on did he have a injury?
Not sure why so many people were surprised he went to Hawkins *en BT was basically saying he had no right to be on him lol * off BT.

Honestly, didn't have his best game last night. Did a better job of not letting Hawkins get over the back than Clurey did, but still really only escaped having a bag kicked on him due to inaccuracy. Also IIRC it was his fumbled mark that led to Danger's goal.

Anything he got was wide apart from one. This is mostly down to the players in front but I imagine a bit to do with Trent's starting position, pushing him wider. Didn't get involved in too many wrestling contests. He was off a bit with his other stuff (intercept marking etc) but had a bigger defensive role. Think he was just ok, but if Hawkins had to have 6 kicks at goal, that's where you'd want them.

Nah I disagree, apart from the dropped mark which was a bad error. Look at where Hawkins was taking his shots from. I reckon Hawkins had 1 mark that you'd call a regulation shot at goal, and even that was at a 45 degree angle. Hawkins is difficult to stop one on one, all you can really do is make sure he doesn't get much of the ball in scoring position, and we did a great job of holding him last night.

He went alright last night but Hawkins like all key forwards struggles with a team defence. He and the other players will learn from it. They got away with one.

Hate to say it but agree with BT he’s strong and versatile enough for most of the other key forwards but not for the gorilla Hawkins Kennedy types imho

I mean Hawkins was shoving Lycett around at stoppage in Geelongs forward 50 what hope does Trent have?

Voss on SEN yesterday said Trent is probably the strongest player at Port.

Sounded strange but then he said for a lot of this year they have played him on Charlie at training doing contested work and match simulation stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back