Player Watch Trent McKenzie

Remove this Banner Ad

Really happy with this. Not entirely sure where he’s going to fit into our lineup position-wise but getting a bloke with his talent as a 26 year old DFA is ridiculous.

I’ve already got a nickname for him - Dulmial Gun - named after the Scottish-made cannon (McKenzie of course being of Scottish origin). This was gifted to a village in Pakistan (it was India at the time of WW1), to commemorate the involvement of their soldiers in that campaign. It mirrors the story of Gold Coast gifting McKenzie to us for our role in making them a going concern through our altruism in allowing them to remain part of the China campaign.

Here is a full article if you’d like to read it:

http://www.scotsman.com/heritage/pe...n-gifted-to-village-for-role-in-wwi-1-3633876

A CANNON made in Falkirk and dragged over mountains to a remote village in Pakistan is being used to highlight the contribution made by the countries of the Commonwealth to winning the First World War. A descendent of one of the villagers who fought in the trenches of the Western Front, and who came from Dulmial in what is now Pakistan but what was then northern India, is promoting the story of the “Dulmial gun”.

The cannon, made at the Carron ironworks in Falkirk, was presented to the village in 1925 as a “thank you” for the
heroic service carried out by the men of Dulmial, 460 of whom fought in the British Army, the largest single contribution to the war effort of any village in Asia. The village, 100 miles south of Islamabad, had been offered a range of possible gifts, including land, money or improved water facilities, by the UK government.

However, Captain Ghulam Mohammad Malik, the highest-ranking and most decorated soldier in the village, asked for a cannon. Captain Malik began his military life in the Derajet Mountain Battery and had taken part in Lord Roberts’ famous march from Kabul to Kandahar in 1880. The cannon chosen by the British army was a twelve-pounder that had been made back in 1816 at the Carron ironworks. The Carron Company, based in the nearby village of Carron, enjoyed huge success during the Napoleonic era, manufacturing cannons that become known as “carronades” for the Royal Navy.

In 1925 the cannon was collected from the First Punjab Regimental Centre in Jhelum, from where it was transported by train to Chakwall. The gun was then dismounted and loaded onto a cart pulled by three oxen for almost 20 miles, a journey which took more than two weeks on semi-mountainous roads. Dr Irfan Malik, a doctor in Nottingham, has been researching the story of the “Dulmial gun” in collaboration with Michael Noble, of the Centre for Hidden Histories at the University of Nottingham. Dr Malik’s great grandfather, Mohammad Khan was a lieutenant who fought in the First World War and he would now like to see Dulmial twinned with Falkirk. He said: “By telling the story I wish to emphasise the important role that Dulmial village played in the First World War by sending a record 460 soldiers to participate.

“The cannon acts as a strong symbol of their courage and sacrifices. At the same time, I wish to raise awareness of the 1.2 million Indian Army soldiers of the First World War. I don’t wish them to be ‘forgotten’ soldiers any longer.” He added: “The villagers, led by local historian Riaz Malik, would be most honoured if Falkirk could be twinned with Dulmial. The soldiers 100 years ago in the First World War would have fought side-by-side. It has been my aim to bring this ‘hidden history’ to a wider audience.” Falkirk Provost Pat Reid said: “The cannon will always embody the courage of the soldiers from both Falkirk and Dulmial and the unique bond forged between both places since.”

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/heritage/pe...n-gifted-to-village-for-role-in-wwi-1-3633876

Can everyone please please please agree that we call him this. I’m holding a pronounciation workshop at the Port Club tomorrow night. RSVP by taping an ‘X’ in masking tape on your bedroom window by 11pm ACST tonight.

I see RussellEbertHandball has hacked your account :p

Welcome, Trent. Look forward to more of those 80m attempts ;)

Just going by the numbers - outside, long kick, fast when fit - he sounds a fair upgrade on, say, where Karl Amon is at currently, and similar to the departed Matty White in quite a few ways, but with more positional flexibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will be better than whatever our pick 80 odd would be in the short term and the long
So I'm ok with it

Bazza McKenzie comes to Port
Now listen mate, I need to splash the boots. You know, strain the potatoes. Water the horses. You know, go where the big knobs hang out. Shake hands with the wife's best friend? Drain the dragon? Siphon the python? Ring the rattlesnake? You know, unbutton the mutton? Like, point Percy at the porcelain?

I’ve already got a nickname for him - Dulmial Gun - named after the Scottish-made cannon (McKenzie of course being of Scottish origin). This was gifted to a village in Pakistan (it was India at the time of WW1), to commemorate the involvement of their soldiers in that campaign. It mirrors the story of Gold Coast gifting McKenzie to us for our role in making them a going concern through our altruism in allowing them to remain part of the China campaign.

Here is a full article if you’d like to read it:

http://www.scotsman.com/heritage/pe...n-gifted-to-village-for-role-in-wwi-1-3633876

A CANNON made in Falkirk and dragged over mountains to a remote village in Pakistan is being used to highlight the contribution made by the countries of the Commonwealth to winning the First World War. A descendent of one of the villagers who fought in the trenches of the Western Front, and who came from Dulmial in what is now Pakistan but what was then northern India, is promoting the story of the “Dulmial gun”.

The cannon, made at the Carron ironworks in Falkirk, was presented to the village in 1925 as a “thank you” for the
heroic service carried out by the men of Dulmial, 460 of whom fought in the British Army, the largest single contribution to the war effort of any village in Asia. The village, 100 miles south of Islamabad, had been offered a range of possible gifts, including land, money or improved water facilities, by the UK government.

However, Captain Ghulam Mohammad Malik, the highest-ranking and most decorated soldier in the village, asked for a cannon. Captain Malik began his military life in the Derajet Mountain Battery and had taken part in Lord Roberts’ famous march from Kabul to Kandahar in 1880. The cannon chosen by the British army was a twelve-pounder that had been made back in 1816 at the Carron ironworks. The Carron Company, based in the nearby village of Carron, enjoyed huge success during the Napoleonic era, manufacturing cannons that become known as “carronades” for the Royal Navy.

In 1925 the cannon was collected from the First Punjab Regimental Centre in Jhelum, from where it was transported by train to Chakwall. The gun was then dismounted and loaded onto a cart pulled by three oxen for almost 20 miles, a journey which took more than two weeks on semi-mountainous roads. Dr Irfan Malik, a doctor in Nottingham, has been researching the story of the “Dulmial gun” in collaboration with Michael Noble, of the Centre for Hidden Histories at the University of Nottingham. Dr Malik’s great grandfather, Mohammad Khan was a lieutenant who fought in the First World War and he would now like to see Dulmial twinned with Falkirk. He said: “By telling the story I wish to emphasise the important role that Dulmial village played in the First World War by sending a record 460 soldiers to participate.

“The cannon acts as a strong symbol of their courage and sacrifices. At the same time, I wish to raise awareness of the 1.2 million Indian Army soldiers of the First World War. I don’t wish them to be ‘forgotten’ soldiers any longer.” He added: “The villagers, led by local historian Riaz Malik, would be most honoured if Falkirk could be twinned with Dulmial. The soldiers 100 years ago in the First World War would have fought side-by-side. It has been my aim to bring this ‘hidden history’ to a wider audience.” Falkirk Provost Pat Reid said: “The cannon will always embody the courage of the soldiers from both Falkirk and Dulmial and the unique bond forged between both places since.”

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/heritage/pe...n-gifted-to-village-for-role-in-wwi-1-3633876

Can everyone please please please agree that we call him this. I’m holding a pronounciation workshop at the Port Club tomorrow night. RSVP by taping an ‘X’ in masking tape on your bedroom window by 11pm ACST tonight.
This is bad and you should feel bad.

So where does Motlop go?

Let's not get carried away McKenzie is a worthwhile pick up but he is what he is, a player delisted by a club that finished 17th last season and who we flogged by 20 goals in the last game of 2017.
Killjoy

As some have said, I think McKenzie has been played out of position and has probably struggled being in a team like GC. I'd like to see him playing wing/half forward. If he somehow found a way into our 22, he would find it a hell of a lot easier being fed the ball by Wines/Rocky/SPP than being forced to play CHB on a bloke ten kilos heavier than him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know its not a surprise but crow supporters going on g.c reject but sam 32yr old n.m reject was a great get for pick 91 lol. McKenzie would of been a good fit for them lol.

I would love to see home more goals from outside 50 on a regular basis for us. Was hoping hammer would fill the void dew left us but that hasn't happened as often as I would like.

I know he's delisted from the suns so obviously questions/doubts would stem from that (and rightly so) but wow what a kick

I know its not a surprise but crow supporters going on g.c reject but sam 32yr old n.m reject was a great get for pick 91 lol. McKenzie would of been a good fit for them lol.
There is no doubt they targeted him with the way Bickley was banging on about him a few weeks ago... Bickley would have been fed the inside word to soften up their customer base!

The hurting in the anus over yonder, over a dfa on a 1 year deal who has some talent and is coming out of possibly the worst system in the afl, is immense.

Would be the 2nd coming if heyzeus himself if he signed for the tingles.

I would be concerning myself with rory rileys lack of interest in signing a new deal after hearing him today. Hope his Mrs likes Adelaide or he outta here.

The hurting in the anus over yonder, over a dfa on a 1 year deal who has some talent and is coming out of possibly the worst system in the afl, is immense.

Would be the 2nd coming if heyzeus himself if he signed for the tingles.

I would be concerning myself with rory rileys lack of interest in signing a new deal after hearing him today. Hope his Mrs likes Adelaide or he outta here.
When the Swamp Rats are so vocal, you just know you're on the right track ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back