Player Watch Trent McKenzie

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Did anyone hear Jonas on SEN last night?

Made it sound like McKenzie would be around next year and that the club was expecting big things from him.
No, but Lokan seemed impressed with him and also his manager today gave the impression that it has just been the injuries over the last 2 years that have held him back.
Hope he has a great SANFL finals series and he gets another year.

Amarula

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Western suburbs (Melb)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Indomitable Lions
This could be the first time in years that he’s got his body right.
He looked something special in his early days. He’s from Melb western suburbs and I’ve come across a couple of people from around here who speak very highly of him as a junior and think he could have a very high ceiling if he ever gets everything right.
I could see how they might want to keep him around for another year just to see whether he can keep improving.

FutureShock

Team Captain
May 13, 2019
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Two weeks ago I had Trent on the delist list. After his performance against Freo and again on the weekend he is now a keep for me. If he gets his body right Trent could be a good foil for Tom Clurey which leaves another Tom out in the cold imo.
I hope he stays too, but I don't think he's like for like with Jonas. Jonas is a better one on one defensive player who can play on talls, McKenzie is much more of a flanker (regardless of how he's being used in the SANFL). Love that kick.

Granny Duurs is Lovely

All Australian
Jun 11, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I hope he stays too, but I don't think he's like for like with Jonas. Jonas is a better one on one defensive player who can play on talls, McKenzie is much more of a flanker (regardless of how he's being used in the SANFL). Love that kick.

So the other person that McKenzie could replace in the backline is Burton. Burton has previously played elsewhere around the ground and definitely has the capability to play further up the field like a wing or half forward.

I know a lot of people were hoping Burton wouldnt play in defence when we recruited him - they may get their wish now.

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Trent is a great kick, solid size, seems to command that SANFL backline well and has a good understanding of footy. His footy for the magpies has been really solid this year.

He is also too slow, injury prone and lacks versatility.

Maybe he or Jack get retained as rookies/made SANFL captain but he shouldn’t be on the main list next year.

FutureShock

Team Captain
May 13, 2019
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So the other person that McKenzie could replace in the backline is Burton. Burton has previously played elsewhere around the ground and definitely has the capability to play further up the field like a wing or half forward.

I know a lot of people were hoping Burton wouldnt play in defence when we recruited him - they may get their wish now.
I do like the idea of Burton as a lead-up forward, alongside 2 genuine KPFs. Could work very well.

FutureShock

Team Captain
May 13, 2019
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Trent is a great kick, solid size, seems to command that SANFL backline well and has a good understanding of footy. His footy for the magpies has been really solid this year.

He is also too slow, injury prone and lacks versatility.

Maybe he or Jack get retained as rookies/made SANFL captain but he shouldn’t be on the main list next year.
I'd just like to see what he can do if he gets a decent run at it fitness-wise. I doubt it's any coincidence that his good form in the second half of the season came when he was able to string some games together. I think we can afford a spot for him on the main list for one more year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Portmanteau

Behaviourz2Outcomz
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor
Jul 15, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fox Sports FC
When we re-sign Dolmio to a richly deserved four-year deal, I request this thread be rephrased to “Welcome back Trent McKenzie”

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
While we have a lot of half backs, I like what he offers and probably would seek to keep him ahead of Broadbent and Lienert who are the closest in direct comparison.

Think some need to stop with the Jonas hyperbole too. Not saying the captaincy went well this year but to suggest McKenzie is better based on a dead rubber and a SANFL game is dribble.

Hasn't Lienert fallen off a cliff this year
He hasn't fallen off a cliff in terms of his own performance, its just that others have surpassed him.

Burton being traded in, Howard's and Bonner's improvement, Hartlett and Broadbent back from long term injuries. Doesn't leave any room for him when you have Jonas as captain, Clurey and DBJ having fantastic years and Houston payed the first half in the backline. Watts only played 2 games but a fully fit Watts at HBF/CHB makes it even harder for him to get a game. He played when we had up to 8 injuries to best 22 between Rd 7 to 13, which is his job as a depth player on the rookie list. Mckenzie jumped over him in the SANFL, mainly due to Mckenzie getting his body right, rather than Lienert being poor.

Last edited:
He hasn't fallen off a cliff in terms of his own performance, its just that others have surpassed him.

Burton being traded in, Howard's and Bonner's improvement, Hartlett and Broadbent back from long term injuries. Doesn't leave any room for him when you have Jonas as captain, Clurey and DBJ having fantastic years and Houston payed the first half in the backline. Watts only played 2 games but a fully fit Watts at HBF/CHB makes it even harder for him to get a game. He played when we had up to 8 injuries to best 22 between Rd 7 to 13, which is his job as a depth player on the rookie list. Mckenzie jumped over him in the SANFL, mainly due to Mckenzie getting his body right, rather than Lienert being poor.
I like Lienert but the last couple of games he had before he got dropped were terrible. He just needed to stay at a certain level and he would have still been in the side. It's obvious to me that he can't really defend but is better attacking down the line.

Granny Duurs is Lovely

All Australian
Jun 11, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The biggest issue with Lienert is his work without the ball, specifically his positioning. I remember in the Collingwood game he was repeatedly out of position and left them heaps of space for guys like stephenson to run into.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back