Coach Tyson Goldsack - Defensive Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Premiership player Tyson Goldsack has joined the Port Adelaide Football Club as its SANFL leadership player. Goldsack retired from the AFL at the end of the 2019 season after playing 165 games with Collingwood. The 32-year-old utility, who was part of the side which won the 2010 premiership with the Pies, has signed a one year playing contact with Port Adelaide. Along with his playing duties, Goldsack will work as a development coach with the club’s young defenders.

“Tyson brings a wealth of experience and leadership to our young group,” said Port Adelaide General Manager - Football, Chris Davies. “While he will be expected to help the club win games in the SANFL on the weekend, he’ll work alongside Brett Montgomery to help develop our young defenders during the week. “We welcome Tyson to the club as well as welcoming back Geoff Morris, who will occupy a similar development coach role after returning from Hawthorn.

Tyson was a 193cm KPD. Will have plenty of experience to pass on to our KPD's playing against taller opponents.

Looks like we atleast identified that development was not our strong point. We are littered with players who had their best year in year 1.

Lienert should be a flanker now since it's likely that McKenzie, Goldsack and Pasini will be the key backs.

As it stands Grundy and Corcoran won't get a game unless there are injuries.

Grundy has to get games ahead of Magpies contract players unless he's injured, but yeah, if every Power listed player was available (ie more than 43 players + Goldsack) then someone would have to miss out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grundy has to get games ahead of Magpies contract players unless he's injured, but yeah, if every Power listed player was available (ie more than 43 players + Goldsack) then someone would have to miss out.
SANFL captain can play ahead of AFL listed players. At this stage, 2 players (Probs Grundy and Burgoyne) could miss if we have a full list.

We threw a mega deal at him in 2014 or 15. But we finally got our man.... shame it took him to retire for him to come over.

Along with his playing duties, Goldsack will work as a development coach with the club’s young defenders.

“Tyson brings a wealth of experience and leadership to our young group,” said Port Adelaide General Manager - Football, Chris Davies.

“While he will be expected to help the club win games in the SANFL on the weekend, he’ll work alongside Brett Montgomery to help develop our young defenders during the week.

“We welcome Tyson to the club as well as welcoming back Geoff Morris, who will occupy a similar development coach role after returning from Hawthorn.”

In an interview with The Advertiser with the image of Russell Ebert looming over his shoulder, Goldsack said he was well aware of Port Adelaide’s history.

But the 193cm defender did not feel extra pressure in a leadership role with the Magpies in one of the club’s most important years to date.

“The club is 150 years old now, to pull on the guernsey will be an honour,” Goldsack said.

“It should be seen like that and I think it’s earnt the right to be like that.

“Coming across I knew about the rich history and the chance to be a part of that and hopefully add to that history would be pretty special.

“There could be added pressure, perhaps, but I think being a leader or a senior member of a club, if you’re not aiming to be the best you shouldn’t be there.

“Whether it’s the 10th year of a club or the 150th, the pressure should be the same.”

“I’ll be out there not just to take part but to win,” said Goldsack, who hoped to work his way through the AFL coaching ranks.

“The Magpies have come really close to winning one the last couple of years but haven’t won it since the Power have been around.

“Maybe we’ll save it up for the 150th and go about our business next year with that in mind.”

In an interview with The Advertiser with the image of Russell Ebert looming over his shoulder, Goldsack said he was well aware of Port Adelaide’s history.

But the 193cm defender did not feel extra pressure in a leadership role with the Magpies in one of the club’s most important years to date.

“The club is 150 years old now, to pull on the guernsey will be an honour,” Goldsack said.

“Coming across I knew about the rich history and the chance to be a part of that and hopefully add to that history would be pretty special.

“There could be added pressure, perhaps, but I think being a leader or a senior member of a club, if you’re not aiming to be the best you shouldn’t be there.

“Whether it’s the 10th year of a club or the 150th, the pressure should be the same.”
I like what I’m hearing

“I’ll be out there not just to take part but to win,” said Goldsack, who hoped to work his way through the AFL coaching ranks.

“The Magpies have come really close to winning one the last couple of years but haven’t won it since the Power have been around.

“Maybe we’ll save it up for the 150th and go about our business next year with that in mind.”

He's already better then Hinkley at coaching

Imagine if one of our skiing captains or coach said something like this;

There could be added pressure, perhaps, but I think being a leader or a senior member of a club, if you’re not aiming to be the best you shouldn’t be there.

Whether it’s the 10th year of a club or the 150th, the pressure should be the same.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back