Player Watch #47 Bigoa Nyuon

northeasttiger

Senior List
Sep 19, 2007
wodonga
AFL Club
Richmond
You stated'Every single athlete needs to feel good about themselves it’s part of preforming.' . My observation is this, unless he has an issue, sickness, mental illness, whatever, if he is good enough he already will feel good so this is a fake barrier in the long term development. In fact part of the recruitment would be to get recruits that do not have such an issue and need to be warmed up in their ability to feel good!!

You state , "To start off his career attempting to change him into something he has never done before is only setting him up for failure." To me you are contradicting himself. With so much to work with how does he fail??? He has so much going for him compared to the rest he gets 4 years minimum in my book at least even if he fails in one aspect that cannot be developed!! He is just starting, he is not set to change anything at all!! RFC is correct, Bigoa is a blank canvas. He is not going to change his kicking and marking!!! All one is saying instead of defending a 195 cm key forward, defend a 195cm midfielder!! Thats not much of a change in my book. You are the one talking about failure, I believe in Big, I think he will surprise you and kick a lot of goals. You are too negative in my book like a elitist talking down brexit!!! You cannot stop progress.

Cripps is the first 195cm mid. No one has failed as a 195cm mid yet because it has never been tried. If Bigoa fails as a mid hybrid he will be the first so he is history on his side although Richo was successful as a 195cm plus wing.

He might end up being a back and just a back but why not give him a crack at something else especially if it makes the RFC team a lot better??

How big was Kouta?

biaseddustyfan

|17🏆|18🏆|19🏆|20🏆|21🏆|22🏆|23🏆|24🏆|25🏆|
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dusty
191cm 935kgs

was not really that big a man but those days he could play midfield and that made him look bigger than he was

RCD / Balta are both taller and heavier (balta is and RCD will be in 24 months)

images

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
Every single athlete needs to feel good about themselves it’s part of preforming.
Because I say he needs to do that, it doesn’t follow that I think he doesn’t already.

I’m not gonna keep on this line of your imaginings.
I’d like to think they’ll consolidate his strengths and develop them.
To start off his career attempting to change him into something he has never done before is only setting him up for failure.

And lastly, Cripps has always played midfield even in his junior years.
He just happened to grow 80mm in a year
This is exactly right.

Let them develop in the role that they are most comfortable in and the role they know. So far Nyuon has played as a kpd and it has been enough to get him drafted.
Atm he is terribly undersized imo and will probably take as long as Chol has taken to date, and Cholly despite his athletic attributes is yet to make it at the level and is still undersized.
For me Chol is a C grade fwd and a D grade ruck but his best chance of making it is probably as a ruckman.
In anyones language based on what he has done so far Nyuon's best chance is as a kpd when he masters that role maybe we can then see what he can offer up in other roles.

We have played havock with players over the yrs by simply playing them out of position especially early on in their careers.

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
.Kouta's height weight as listed by the AFL was 191cm 98kg.

Balta is 194cm and 100kg. He has the size to make an ideal power kpp.
RC-D WAS drafted at 189cm 89kg. people say he has had a growth spurt and depending on which one you listen to he is somewhere between 191cm and 193cm.
Imo if RCD is 193cm he is most likely to play at around 93kg so he doesnt have a whole lot of weight to put on.

Bigoa Nyuon is listed at 195/87 he has some way to go.Great athlete or not great athlete, either way he will need the size and strength just to compete and that is likely a couple of seasons away.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Riley Collier Dawkins - His own words

“In my bottom-age year I grew a bit to 184 to 185 and I thought ‘that’ll be it, middle of the road midfielder, your average medium mid’.

“Then pre-season happened and kept measuring myself and it said 193. I thought ‘oh geez I’ve grown a bit here’. I still play like a 180cm player and still getting use to my big frame.

“I measured 191 (centimetres at the Combine), they robbed me of a few centimetres I reckon.”

The comparisons are obvious with some of the best tall midfielders in the AFL, but Collier-Dawkins is happy to be his own player.

dustysnecktattoo

Club Legend
May 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Riley Collier Dawkins - His own words

“In my bottom-age year I grew a bit to 184 to 185 and I thought ‘that’ll be it, middle of the road midfielder, your average medium mid’.

“Then pre-season happened and kept measuring myself and it said 193. I thought ‘oh geez I’ve grown a bit here’. I still play like a 180cm player and still getting use to my big frame.

“I measured 191 (centimetres at the Combine), they robbed me of a few centimetres I reckon.”

The comparisons are obvious with some of the best tall midfielders in the AFL, but Collier-Dawkins is happy to be his own player.

mods ban this guy way off topic

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
.Kouta's height weight as listed by the AFL was 191cm 98kg.

Balta is 194cm and 100kg. He has the size to make an ideal power kpp.
RC-D WAS drafted at 189cm 89kg. people say he has had a growth spurt and depending on which one you listen to he is somewhere between 191cm and 193cm.
Imo if RCD is 193cm he is most likely to play at around 93kg so he doesnt have a whole lot of weight to put on.

Bigoa Nyuon is listed at 195/87 he has some way to go.Great athlete or not great athlete, either way he will need the size and strength just to compete and that is likely a couple of seasons away.
RCD WAS NOT drafted profile at 189cm, every draft website profile had him at 193cm, he even said so on the interview on draft night, but for some reason the Rich. website has him at 189cm. Conca was 185cm until the year he left us, magically his last year was 181cm.
Chol was drafted at 71kg. Skin and bone and very lean, still is. Nyuon looks to have a good frame on him and looks like he will bulk up. Obviously still a season away.
Agree, leave him to develop where he is most likely.

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
RCD WAS NOT drafted profile at 189cm, every draft website profile had him at 193cm, he even said so on the interview on draft night, but for some reason the Rich. website has him at 189cm. Conca was 185cm until the year he left us, magically his last year was 181cm.
Chol was drafted at 71kg. Skin and bone and very lean, still is. Nyuon looks to have a good frame on him and looks like he will bulk up. Obviously still a season away.
Agree, leave him to develop where he is most likely.
Thats all good mate, Been thru this lots of times. i take all measurements from the one source that being the AFL itself.
We all know they get some of them wrong and im sure RC-D is a little taller than 189cm and could be 191 193cm. For a tall mid it really is neither here nor there.
It can be annoying that we cant get a definative answer from the club on this.
I would have thought the combine measurement to be the most accurate though, but i dont have all the combine results on players so use the one source being the afl which is easier.

Comparisons to Kouta though are a little off atm size wise. A similar height but Kouta was a big mid or more to the point utility.In this Even his weight is all over the shop i can find three weight sizes for him at 95kg 98kg and 100kg but Kouta did play kp a fair bit and needed the size.
He was a big unit.

If RC-D is the mid we think he is and hes 191 193 then id wager he will play at or close to 93kg give or take a few kg, Id be surprised if he plays anywhere close to 100kg unless they turn him into a kp.
The reason for this is obvious with the amount of running and the possible loss of pace that may happen if they get too big.
Another reason have a look at the taller/ bigger mids going around, those close to 190cm the better ones of my head

Bont 193/93
Cripps 195/92
Pendlebury 191/90
Fyfe 192/96
Danger 189/92
Yeo 190/89

There are exceptions of course no one is saying there wont be. but if your looking for some sort of reasonable guide and consistency to what weight players will reach then there is some regular guides to make a reasonable assumption.
The biggest one for me and it would apply to probably 90 95% of the comp is useing the last two digits of height as their weight its usually within two or three kg. Anyone can do this excercise for themselves.

So talking about RC-D IF HES 193CM i estimate his ideal playing weight will be close to and within 3kg of 93kg. A very reasonable assumption id say given that the majority of players seem to fall within this critera and so few are significantly outside it.

Bigoa Nyuon currently at 195cm and 87kg means he will probably need to gain somewhere around 8 10 kg to get to ideal playing weight it likely wont happen in 1 season. But agree he looks to have a good frame on him and should bulk up.

Without doing a complete look at it id say the shorter talls 190 - 193cm who are asked to permanently play KP fall outside of this criteria and are generally heavier than the last 2 digits of their height.Imo they can cope with the lack of 3 or 4 centimetres but they still need the size weight strength to compete on an equal footing against genuine big kpp's.

Last edited:

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Thats all good mate, Been thru this lots of times. i take all measurements from the one source that being the AFL itself.
We all know they get some of them wrong and im sure RC-D is a little taller than 189cm and could be 191 193cm. For a tall mid it really is neither here nor there.
It can be annoying that we cant get a definative answer from the club on this.
I would have thought the combine measurement to be the most accurate though, but i dont have all the combine results on players so use the one source being the afl which is easier.

Comparisons to Kouta though are a little off atm size wise. A similar height but Kouta was a big mid or more to the point utility.In this Even his weight is all over the shop i can find three weight sizes for him at 95kg 98kg and 100kg but Kouta did play kp a fair bit and needed the size.
He was a big unit.

If RC-D is the mid we think he is and hes 191 193 then id wager he will play at or close to 93kg give or take a few kg, Id be surprised if he plays anywhere close to 100kg unless they turn him into a kp.
The reason for this is obvious with the amount of running and the possible loss of pace that may happen if they get too big.
Another reason have a look at the taller/ bigger mids going around, those close to 190cm the better ones of my head

Bont 193/93
Cripps 195/92
Pendlebury 191/90
Fyfe 192/96
Danger 189/92
Yeo 190/89

There are exceptions of course no one is saying there wont be. but if your looking for some sort of reasonable guide and consistency to what weight players will reach then there is some regular guides to make a reasonable assumption.
The biggest one for me and it would apply to probably 90 95% of the comp is useing the last two digits of height as their weight its usually within two or three kg. Anyone can do this excercise for themselves.

So talking about RC-D IF HES 193CM i estimate his ideal playing weight will be close to and within 3kg of 93kg. A very reasonable assumption id say given that the majority of players seem to fall within this critera and so few are significantly outside it.

Bigoa Nyuon currently at 195cm and 87kg means he will probably need to gain somewhere around 8 10 kg to get to ideal playing weight it likely wont happen in 1 season. But agree he looks to have a good frame on him and should bulk up.

Without doing a complete look at it id say the shorter talls 190 - 193cm who are asked to permanently play KP fall outside of this criteria and are generally heavier than the last 2 digits of their height.Imo they can cope with the lack of 3 or 4 centimetres but they still need the size weight strength to compete on an equal footing against genuine big kpp's.
The 193cm was from the horses mouth on his interview on the club website I think. Anyway, here nor there but agree that he like Martin will not need to bulk up too much. He plays a pretty tough game already and the key to him is his speed. Unlike Cripps/Bont/Fyfe/Pendelbury, he is quick. You don't want to lose that as it will be a weapon. Means he can hit hard at speed also use it to break away. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't get good game time this year, to many strengths to ignore, like Stack when he started.

He was a big unit.
The other thing about Kouta he won junior state medals as a hurdler. Might not sound like much but you need alot of speed endurance and real strength in the body, I don’t mean power.
It’s not something your gonna win just because your naturally quick. Takes effort over time to be a hurdler and grit, we’ve all seen it takes a few preseasons for young blokes to get enough conditioning. Koutafides had it when he turned up at Carlton.

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
racist[ rey-sist ]
noun
a person who believes in racism, the doctrine that one's own racial group is superior or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would you like to amend your bolded statement Marcel? You are describing something I wrote as being “essentially” racist and it is not even vaguely related to racism. You are just serving to confuse people about what racism actually is with silly statements like that.

And if you cannot see that Daw-Aliir-Chol and Nyuon relate more closely to each other(through their genes) as athletes and footballers than they do to any other players at AFL level then you are missing the blindingly obvious. Nyuon may track faster because he has played more junior football but there are not too many 195cm+ types who hit the ground running at AFL level regardless of what their background is.

Chol’s first year was 2016 and Chol played one game but I think they just about saddled Guiseppe Mamone up for a game that year we were struggling so much. The main point I was making is you are not going to expect Bigoa Nyuon to play meaningfully before about 2023 no matter what line of relevant precedents you follow, Sudanese players, tall players, key position players, skinny players, 50+ draft picks, or whatever.

Even oldrance took years to find his feet at AFL level. We all hope the youngster does well, but by my calculations making the team regularly by 2023 would be doing very well.

And your apology is accepted by the way.
Ireckon if you look close enough there are many similarities

Daw Aliir and Nyuon are all 195cm. Aliir 85kg and Nyuon 87kg are a similar weight when drafted im not sure about Daw it seems to me he has always been big i cant find what his weight was when drafted all the way back in 2010.

Chol is 198cm but much skinnier than the other three when he started. He has so far taken 4 yrs for his 10 games and is still on the smallish side.
Daw has played 50 games in 9 10 ? seasons
Aliir has taken 6 yrs for his 50 games.

If these three are representative of what is to be expected then Nyuon will take some time.But most talls do.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Ireckon if you look close enough there are many similarities

Daw Aliir and Nyuon are all 195cm. Aliir 85kg and Nyuon 87kg are a similar weight when drafted im not sure about Daw it seems to me he has always been big i cant find what his weight was when drafted all the way back in 2010.

Chol is 198cm but much skinnier than the other three when he started. He has so far taken 4 yrs for his 10 games and is still on the smallish side.
Daw has played 50 games in 9 10 ? seasons
Aliir has taken 6 yrs for his 50 games.

If these three are representative of what is to be expected then Nyuon will take some time.But most talls do.
Pick 41 North Melbourne – Majak Daw
DOB: 11/03/91, Height: 194cm, Weight: 89kg

Sudanese immigrant who possesses amazing physical attributes. Still learning the game but could develop into a genuine KPF.

I am willing to bet anyone $10,000 that Bigoa will NOT play on Patrick Cripps in Rd 1, 2020.

Way to go out on a limb mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back