AFL Club
Richmond
I reckon he’ll play 400+ games, 500+ goals
1575065656193.png

May 1, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Richmond draftee Hugo Ralphsmith joins under-18 teammates on AFL list

Hugo Ralphsmith looks a bit like a star teammate from his under-18 side. So the midfielder hoped it wasn’t a case of mistaken identity when Richmond swooped on the son of a gun.

November 30, 2019 11:52am

1575105852144.jpeg

Hugo Ralphsmith hopes the Richmond did not make a mistake in picking him in the national draft.

It would not be the first time he was subject to mistaken identity, with recruiters having been known to get him mixed up with a Sandringham Dragons teammate who could pass as his twin brother – Josh Worrell.

“I love playing with Josh and he was doing some good things and got confused with me. So that’s probably why I got drafted,” Ralphsmith said with a laugh.

Worrell found his way to Adelaide at pick 28 in Thursday night’s national draft, while Bergman is now on Port Adelaide’s list after going at pick 14.

The Tigers pounced on Ralphsmith with pick 46, which capped off a big November for the teenager.

He turned 18 on November 9, got braces taken off his teeth, passed his drivers licence test and finished Year 12 exams at Haileybury College before finding an AFL home.

The selection brought even the ‘Terminator’ to tears, that being his father Sean Ralphsmith who played 30 games for Hawthorn and St Kilda in the 1980s and 90s.

“He didn’t have many words or advice, it was just more tears, I think,” Ralphsmith said.

“He was over the moon as well. He was probably just as stoked as me. He’s been on this journey for the last couple of years with me so he was absolutely over the moon.”

Ralphsmith said he could not take off a Richmond scarf for almost 24 hours after being drafted, quickly forgetting about his allegiance to Hawthorn, who he had supported his whole life.

Text messages quickly came in from a host of new teammates, including Tom Lynch, Jack Riewoldt and Daniel Rioli.

“My phone’s been blowing up, which I was not expecting,” Ralphsmith said.

An outside midfielder or half-forward, Ralphsmith averaged 11 disposals and kicked two goals from three games for Vic Metro at the national championships this year.

Liked by the Tigers for his speed, endurance and athletic abilities, he hopes to mould into a more permanent onballer in the future.

“Definitely over the years I want to put on a bit of size and push into the midfield and forward, swap between that,” Ralphsmith said.

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
thanks mate!
Master Kwai Chang Caine, welcome to our humble board. I am hopeful that you could enlighten me....

"When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave." -
"Yet, it is eyes which blind the man." —
"I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question." –

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
he is Will Day type skinny ...

hope the dietitian gets it right

sounds an excellent prospect however
Bs he is , same height and 7kg heavier , that’s 1 stone . See what you look like if you lose a stone and tell me u look the same. He’ ll gain weight no problem

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Bs he is , same height and 7kg heavier , that’s 1 stone . See what you look like if you lose a stone and tell me u look the same. He’ ll gain weight no problem

looks unnerving small in the above photo but all the drafties look super young...

its good he is bottom too

if RSmith was the tigers 1st draft selection i wonder how the mainstream would rate the richmond draft? 'reaching' for Dow seems to have upset some

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Just about all of the Richmond kids selected look like they have been selected to have atleast 1-3 years in development and be ready for 3 years time
which makes alot of sense with the players we have at our disposal in 2020 that are in the VFL like RCD/Ross/English/Turner/Naish/CCJ/Balta

These players were picked be groomed the Richmond way

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Just about all of the Richmond kids selected look like they have been selected to have atleast 1-3 years in development and be ready for 3 years time
which makes alot of sense with the players we have at our disposal in 2020 that are in the VFL like RCD/Ross/English/Turner/Naish/CCJ/Balta

No other option I reckon GUN!...after winning the 2019 GF! ;)

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond

I agree looks to me that was the focus considering where our list is at and the queue already with 8 players outside of the gf team scrambling for a spot , 18m of development suits us just fine with this batch of draftees

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
I agree looks to me that was the focus considering where our list is at and the queue already with 8 players outside of the gf team scrambling for a spot , 18m of development suits us just fine with this batch of draftees

how many times before the draft did people write "the new batch of drafities are going to have trouble getting a game, next season"

might be the best best strategy

Back