Player Watch #34: Jack Graham

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I meant it in a vague simple theory of maybe having immediate impact but then a lower ceiling than his contemporaries.

I wouldn't have a clue it's just when you made that description his name popped out at me.

Yeah I do recall Rich going well early then dropping off. He does play for the lions though. Might be a factor - they seem to turn everyone s**t.

What position is Rich's best; seems to have the Vanilla syndrome......

Not sure. I think they've tried him everywhere. Always thought him coming off the back of a stoppage/outside was his go given his only real attribute is his kicking. But even that can go to s**t. Remember watching Greg Tivendale early days and how good his kicking was. Went to dogshit later on with his confidence

Richmond’s second pick (No. 53 overall) in the 2016 AFL National Draft, tough inside midfielder Jack Graham, from SANFL club North Adelaide, caught up with ‘Roar Vision’ towards the end of his first week at Punt Road. Here’s what he had to say about his transition to Tigerland.

Thrilled to be a Tiger

“It’s still soaking in, but the time at the Club so far has been unreal . . . just loving every minute of it.”

Nerves kicked in on Draft night

“I was at home with family just watching it on TV. It was a very nervous wait, especially after being told by clubs, ‘We’re going to pick you up around this mark, and we consider you around this pick’.”

Starring in the 2016 under-18 national championships

“The champs were unreal. I managed to hit some good form (as SA’s captain) and play some good footy. And I walked away winning the Larke Medal (for being best player throughout the series). I was just hungry to play footy and absolutely honoured to win it.”

His playing style

“Just hard at the ball, in and under. I like contested possessions, but also a mix and match of inside and outside play.”

Learning the midfield ropes from Martin, Cotchin and co.

“Just follow them around training and get the grips how they go about their football and how I can bring that into my game . . . ’Cotch’ only came in today for his first day, but said hello to us. And I’ve had a couple of kicks with Dustin, which is good . . . kicking with someone that you’ve always looked up to.”

Pre-season goals

“Just get as fit as I can, and earn the respect of all the boys, the coaches and all the staff. Then, just put my best foot forward and try and aim for that spot to play Round 1. That’s the goal. It’s pretty high, but I like to set them high, so I can achieve them.”

Teaming up with Oleg Markov again

“I played about three years with him . . . through the juniors (at North Adelaide). It’s good coming into the Club knowing someone. They show you around and introduce you to people. It helps a lot.”

Love this kids already. At his size I'm hoping he makes an immediate impact and adds to our midfield depth straight away. Even if he doesn't earn a game straight away, he will do wonders for our VFL team and add plenty of competition for spots in the middle. It will be interesting to see how he compares to our more established midfielders when he lines up against them in the preseason. Hard to compare when he has only been matching up against U18 atm

Our VFL midfield was very strong towards the end of last season (think we won about 6 games in a row), he will only add to this! Happy to let him develop next season, but I have a feeling he won't take long to crack into the seniors. Seems like a ripper kid

Bit harsh Jesse was a good footballer crueled by injury, Cale was ok, both won rising star nominations.

Andrew Raines came runner up in the rising star. Means very little if they don't push on.

Cale was trash, there is a reason he was traded for pick 80 odd. As for Jesse he was more interested in playing his Xbox then managing his injuries hence why he never got over them.

Watts and Hooper aren't average footballers either. The only reason Watts was still on a list was because he was a no.1 pick.

I do think Jack is a fantastic pick up though, and he was the application to make it. But the comment about the Larke medal was incorrect.

Andrew Raines came runner up in the rising star. Means very little if they don't push on.

Cale was trash, there is a reason he was traded for pick 80 odd. As for Jesse he was more interested in playing his Xbox then managing his injuries hence why he never got over them.

Watts and Hooper aren't average footballers either. The only reason Watts was still on a list was because he was a no.1 pick.

I do think Jack is a fantastic pick up though, and he was the application to make it. But the comment about the Larke medal was incorrect.

Raines was robbed that year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our VFL midfield was very strong towards the end of last season (think we won about 6 games in a row), he will only add to this! Happy to let him develop next season, but I have a feeling he won't take long to crack into the seniors. Seems like a ripper kid
If Graham plays 5+ games in the ones I will be surprised. There's a reason he slipped to our second pick.. not saying he won't turn out to be a good player but might take some time (even though he's a big body) and you'd be hoping some other players on our list would be stepping up to make it even harder for him to get a game

Bit harsh Jesse was a good footballer crueled by injury, Cale was ok, both won rising star nominations.
Yeah, Melbourne used to burn every poor kid they recruited, now they act like smug bastards...

Who knows what Cale Morton could have become in a decent team?

Not saying that he will be a Joel Selwood but Joel was also a kid that looked older as an 18 year old
JOEL SELWOOD
Bendigo Pioneers, 26 May 1988, 182.4cm, 82.2kg / Graham – 183cm and 85kg

r0_0_1224_1838_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
449975-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Watts and Hooper were both talented footballers, Cale had ability and Jesse was very good regardless of his appetite for rehab

Let's agree to disagree then, I'm tipping Jack plays more than 10 games in the seniors in his first year barring injury

Not sure. I think they've tried him everywhere. Always thought him coming off the back of a stoppage/outside was his go given his only real attribute is his kicking. But even that can go to s**t. Remember watching Greg Tivendale early days and how good his kicking was. Went to dogshit later on with his confidence
Tivendale had a beautiful kicking action. Problem for him was he didnt know how many meters over or under a player it would go.
Just coz ya look good kicken doesnt mean ya can kick.
Bruce mcavaney take note

Jack was briefly mentioned on the junktime podcast draft edition. The former recruiter that they had in was talking about shock picks and sliders and very briefly mentioned "one kid who went in the 50s that most had around 20. Graham I think".
Sounds promising.

Jack was briefly mentioned on the junktime podcast draft edition. The former recruiter that they had in was talking about shock picks and sliders and very briefly mentioned "one kid who went in the 50s that most had around 20. Graham I think".
Sounds promising.
First thing that comes to mind here is matt arnott, meant to go earlier but ended up mid 50s, everyone said he was the steal of the draft and would be a gun, hopefully this doesn't happen again

First thing that comes to mind here is matt arnott, meant to go earlier but ended up mid 50s, everyone said he was the steal of the draft and would be a gun, hopefully this doesn't happen again
Don't think anyone said that. It was more surprise he got drafted as he was always a rookie type, he was a fringe Metro player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back