Player Watch #5 Jack Ross

Welcome to Richmond Jack Ross from the Oakleigh Chargers.

187cm
87kg
Best and Fairest winner at Oakleigh Chargers

[PLAYERCARD]jack ross[/PLAYERCARD].jpg

Roar Vision highlights video:

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2018-11-23/draft-2018-pick-43-jack-ross

AFL Draft Central:

STRENGTHS: Inside/outside mix, aggression, ball winning, efficiency, speed
IMPROVEMENTS: Endurance, tackling

SUMMARY: Jack Ross is a player who has flown under the radar to put together a very impressive year amongst a raft of stars in the Oakleigh Chargers midfield. A TAC Cup mainstay, Ross has shown signs of an all-round midfield game with a good mix of aggressive ball winning, and outside class to deliver well by foot.

Given he wins his fair share of contested ball, with an average of 5.4 clearances while kicking the ball long 28.7 per cent of the time, Ross’ disposal efficiency is highly impressive and a testament to his decision making when given time and space. That mix of class and aggression is rare, and puts him in good stead for making an impact at the next level with his 86.7kg frame.

Given his power, Ross’ 20m sprint time of 2.95 seconds makes sense, but he could look to use that more when bursting from packs. Despite his aggressive approach, Ross can also improve on his tackling numbers, averaging just 2.4 as a midfielder who often finds himself in the clinches. As a power-based athlete, endurance is also something Ross should improve to become a more dominant midfielder and run out games with more than his average of 20.5 disposals. There is not much Ross can’t do as a midfielder though, and he looks like a ready-made prospect.

Knightmare:
Extending the Associated Public Schools' (APS) win streak to eight straight against Associated Grammar Schools Victoria (AGSV) in the annual Victorian private school competition clash, Jack Ross was arguably the most influential on the field. The 186cm, 85kg, midfielder who in each of his past four matches for Oakleigh has featured among their best players, showcased attributes to suggest his draft stocks may rise in the lead-up to this year's AFL draft.

Performing a central role in APS' 11-point victory against AGSV, Ross won first possession at stoppages and demonstrated the power to burst through tackles. His loose ball-winning, ball use and decision-making were also impressive.

Following an invite to the state combine last week, Ross posted 27 disposals, 10 contested possessions, six marks, four clearances, eight inside 50s, one goal and two score assists.

As a potential ball-winning midfielder, Ross' game bares similarities to West Coast midfielder Dom Sheed as a powerful midfielder who uses the ball effectively. Ross is not a certain draft choice, having missed selection for the Under-18 Championships, but if he can help Oakleigh win a few finals, he may receive consideration late in the draft or as a rookie.

Last edited by a moderator:
3 hours after the pick was made

the afl draft tracker runs more efficiently than this

#thisneverhappenedundermywatch

EAD Campaigner, I'm working as fast as bigfooty servers are letting me. :D

Must confess, I know absolutely nothing about Jack. But physically sounds like he is ready to mix it at AFL level. Interesting selection though...

4x Jacks ,a full house??....:p

Last edited:
Know nothing of him.

But it sounds like the club has decided we need monster inside mids and power with skill over our old standbys of repeat sprints and tackling.

Obviously got the talent, and obviously got some work to do.

Welcome Jack. :thumbsu:

EAD Campaigner, I'm working as fast as bigfooty servers are letting me. :D

You just tick the open thread box and let the people talk then add the other stuff at your leisure.

I don't blame you, it's the other 3 not teaching you properly ;)

You just tick the open thread box and let the people talk then add the other stuff at your leisure.

I don't blame you, it's the other 3 not teaching you properly ;)

I like to have all the info upfront ha ha

Back