Player Watch #5 Jack Ross

Remove this Banner Ad

Love Ross, hate Carlton.... but this a crazy call. I agree the Walsh media hype is through the roof but he looks a jet and will have more tools than Ross - for example, Walsh has an outside game too, something Ross may struggle with but we don't need him for that. Both Walsh and Rozee will be the best midfielders from the draft judging by a very small sample size.

Either way, who cares? Ross is exactly what we need and we didn't need a wooden spoon to draft him.

I try not get caught up with X is better than Y in the draft as it's all subjective to what a team needs.

Sydney Stack > Walsh

A few key attributes that shone for me were his ability to ride a tackle and still distribute the ball, ability to take a contested mark, his calmness and awareness but he also has such a penetrating kick. A lot to like

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love him, mature way beyond his years

- Bull
- Faster than you think
- Big kick
- Can take a grab
- Composed
- Bushy Eyebrows

Probably been said earlier in the thread but Ross reminds me of a young Joel Selwood. The toughness, the quick feet, bigger kick, even looks like him but a bit taller. A massive bonus for us in the middle. Cotchin and Martin will reap the benefits. He is exactly the player we needed.
No flopping though :p

Love Ross, hate Carlton.... but this a crazy call. I agree the Walsh media hype is through the roof but he looks a jet and will have more tools than Ross - for example, Walsh has an outside game too, something Ross may struggle with but we don't need him for that. Both Walsh and Rozee will be the best midfielders from the draft judging by a very small sample size.

Either way, who cares? Ross is exactly what we need and we didn't need a wooden spoon to draft him.

I try not get caught up with X is better than Y in the draft as it's all subjective to what a team needs.

Ross’s game was slightly ahead of Walsh’s best game from the first 4 rounds. He’s bigger and stronger and has more presence. How was he not top 10? His game was excellent and played like a 100 gamer

What a great first game from Jack!!!:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Very impressed.

What I love most of all is the defensive mind set and does not do anything a tosser ball player would do!!!!

I have a nick name I will use for Ross now. "KIS" because he keeps it simple and thats the magic of his play. Does not stray away from the basics and does them very well.

Must keep playing in the firsts. I think he makes us better in the guts, he makes us play better as a team and embrace the defensive aspect as well. I think his smart simple options bring our other players into the game in better positions than previously. Must be a smart operator makes good decisions in play and does not lack speed in close!!!

I am even prepared to shift Dusty to a wing and half forward at times for Ross the boss to stay in the guts!!!

I think KIS is a great leveller and does the things many other midfields across the AFL do not do when they over complicate things!!!

Jack needs an extension to along with Stack!!!:D

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back