Player Watch #5 Jack Ross

CholEstrol

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Anyone know the backstory about his under 18 year? Would have been awesome to understand where clubs rated him in his u/16 year
from AFL Draft Central. Couldn't find U16 info.

Jack Ross – Balanced Midfielder

Fellow Oakleigh Chargers’ teammate, Jack Ross was the Tigers next selection in the National Draft, with Ross not quite having the upside that Collier-Dawkins has, but instead has very few flaws in his game. He is a good kick, wins the ball inside or out, tackles hard and spreads well, with most boxes ticked for the natural leader. He played very well in the APS vs AGS match and continued that form throughout the TAC Cup season, remarkably taking home Oakleigh’s best and fairest despite missing a number of games due to school commitments. He did not play at the National Under 18 Championships, but enjoyed a good 2018 season that was ultra-consistent.

Just watched his jumper presentation video , the speech Brian Leys gave makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Noticed the >100 gamer Leysy has 3 strong looking boys there.
Get them in the dev squad now Tiges

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Hard to see him improving on that first week, that's pretty much as good as it's going to get for a first year so I hope people dont get upset if he drops off in some games as a young kid will do. We have a player though and hes gonna be a beast with a few pre seasons in the gym.

Rich o man

All Australian
Oct 19, 2009
Carlton North
AFL Club
Richmond
Exactly get them in there quick and teach them how to kick , Their dad was a terrible kick
When he came to Melbourne to play Under 19's with Hawthorn he played for the cricket club I played for. His bowling must have been like his kicking because it could go anywhere but he was quick. Opened the bowling for our 2nds and in his first or second game he broke an opposition batsman's arm. Understandly, he didn't play many games as football took over.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
He is a good kick, wins the ball inside or out, tackles hard and spreads well, with most boxes ticked for the natural leader. He played very well in the APS vs AGS match and continued that form throughout the TAC Cup season, remarkably taking home Oakleigh’s best and fairest despite missing a number of games due to school commitments. He did not play at the National Under 18 Championships, but enjoyed a good 2018 season that was ultra-consistent.
Ahhh there it is what scared off the other recruiters...the kid is not fair dinkum about a footy career at all... :)

Grechy

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Houston Rockets
Walsh had 25 touches and 5 tackles 82% game time @78% DE
Ross had 28 touches and 6 tackles 74% game time @88% DE

With 10% less game time you would expect he would get 10% more touches and 1 tackle more which would bring them about even except the the difference in DE where Ross gets him.

Great game by both boys

When you look at those stats if we've found near Walsh we've found an absolute gem.

Jun 26, 2007
Newcastle
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Avalanche, Nuggets
giphy.gif

ROSS THE BOSS!!!

SumTingWong

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 10, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, NY Giants, NY Mets
Don't know where we keep finding these guys who look and play like they've been around for years, but it's exciting stuff. Gone are the days where we'd have to latch onto short flashes from our youngsters as potential stars of the future, now we're getting full games on debut!

Super impressive performance by Ross, there were times on Saturday that he seemed to put the midfield on his back, going to be really interesting to see how he fits in when our A-graders return.
Yet we played Mav f***** Weller in round 1. Lol

Hard to see him improving on that first week, that's pretty much as good as it's going to get for a first year so I hope people dont get upset if he drops off in some games as a young kid will do. We have a player though and hes gonna be a beast with a few pre seasons in the gym.

Brownlow this year or delist

its simple

We actually have resources thrown into recruiting compared to years past. The old dark days of recruiting a bloke based on tapes is long gone.

Seemed to get a lot better once Balme came in and give Richardson less power

Funnily enough Essendons recruting and list management seems to have gotten worse since Richardson become head of football over there

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Funnily enough Essendons recruting and list management seems to have gotten worse since Richardson become head of football over there

You say that likes its a bad thing.

We all know what happens when Essendon football department goes unchecked!

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆2017🏆2019🏆2020🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond

After being drafted with pick 43 in the 2018 AFL draft, Richmond’s Jack Ross lived out his childhood dream on the weekend, making his AFL debut in front of an almost 40,000-strong crowd. The 18-year-old midfielder took the opportunity to reflect on his first AFL experience in the Tigers emphatic seven-point victory over Port Adelaide.

When Dimma announced to the playing group in the Thursday morning meeting that I’d be making my debut, I was shocked.

I think a few of my Richmond teammates had been given a heads up leading into the meeting but I had no idea.

I felt a bit of everything, to be honest. I was nervous, excited and anxious about what the whole experience would bring but I was rapt to be given the opportunity.

One of my goals after I was drafted was to make my debut early in the year. I was conscious of showing the club and my teammates that I was willing to work hard to earn my debut.

I’ve adapted well to life at Richmond and I’ve exceeded my own expectations so far.

1555460074908.png

Running out onto Adelaide Oval the crowd was deafening. Despite there being roughly 40,000 people there in the crowd it felt like it was closer to 90,000.

It was hostile for us Richmond players and the club as a whole but the experience of running out onto the ground for the first time was amazing.

To be able to play an AFL game with that kind of atmosphere is something I won’t take for granted.

Leading into the game I thought my nerves were going to be a lot worse but I surprised myself by being much calmer than I imagined.

Having a couple of pre-season JLT games under my belt held me in good stead for what I could expect.

I tried to bounce off my teammate’s energy and use them to help me feel confident and ready for the match-up. To have the opportunity to start in the midfield helped ease the pressure of getting early touches as well.

I was always around the play and was able to get my first touch early, which settled my nerves and I was able to work my way into the game.

From there, I just played my own brand of football.

1555460111608.png

With the injuries and outs that we’ve had this week, people had written us off pretty early but I think as a club our goal and vision has always stayed the same.

We back ourselves in and to be able to get the job done was incredible.

We had full confidence in our ability as a team to get the win but having someone like Lynchy kicking six goals certainly made a difference when the game was on the line.

It was incredible to sing the song with them. I was expecting a little Gatorade shower after the win but I was absolutely drenched! It certainly made the win even sweeter.

Having my family, friends and extended family make the trip over was a moment I won’t forget.

They’ve been there every step of the way for me and are the reason I am where I am today so to be able to celebrate with them was a special moment.

Since the game, I’ve spoken to a few of my teammates and they’ve given me some good advice going forward.

I’m going to keep playing my natural brand of football, whether that be in the AFL or the VFL.

I want to keep continuing to put my best foot forward and I’m fortunate that Richmond are encouraging and supportive of me being able to achieve that.

Back